Run in with a COBOLT ?? - Page 3 - MustangForums.com

Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Run in with a COBOLT ??

Old 08-25-2006, 03:22 AM
petepete
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Run in with a COBOLT ??

A cobalt would probably be my second choice if i ever bought a 4 banger First would be an evo =) But i have yet to own a 4 cyl and i dont want to!
Old 08-25-2006, 12:25 PM
boss 244
3rd Gear Member

I know the saturn redline ion supercharded is pretty close to the cobalt, but I don't know if they are built on the same platform. any ways I was up against one at the strip and he smoked me BAD-he ran a 14.00. He was thinkn he was all badass cause he beat a gt mustang, I let him know he almost got beat by a v6 mustang. Still, he had an exhaust and I don't know what else done to the car, but that was pretty fast for a 4cyl. That race made me put even more money into my car.
Old 08-25-2006, 12:36 PM
SpecterGT260
5th Gear Member

u guys didnt actually race tho, so it might have looked like he would have won, but i doubt it. if it didnt even have plates i would doubt its even pully swapped yet. even if it was i havent heard of much more than 250 whp out of a cobalt. there was even a guy on a cobalt forum bragging about "almost knocking with 107 octane gas" because of whatever hes done (just sounds like a sh*tty tune to me ) but he was still under 300 whp. with ur SC u should be able to take 99% of the cobalts out there.

and boss, the redline and cobalt are the same cars with different body panels.
Old 08-25-2006, 12:44 PM
SpecterGT260
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jericho73

ORIGINAL: bennihill

man, no disrespect to the people that respect the cobalt, but whatever people say the cobalt is rice material all the way. regardless of the fact that the cobalt is built by an american company. it's a maxxed out 4 banger (factory stockwise) that has forced induction. think about it, if you supercharged your stang with 10 psi of boost on a 18k basic mustang v6, you would be running around 400-425 hp for the same price as a base price cobalt ss. and the supercharger i was looking at was a vortech for the 4.0 v6. they claim horsepower up to 425 depending on your tune. now, 400 hp to 205? thats like having two s/c'd cobalt engines in your car. no way one of those things can take us on.

but again no disrespect. and yes the cobalts are quick and so are the srt-4's but they're rice either way. they're just new rice with modern technology. not like a 92 honda civic. that's what most people assume when people say rice. now the evo's and the wrx sti's are rice but they are high powered rice. but thats when we answer with the corvette or the viper or the shelby's. plain and simple. american muscle beats 4 bangers anyday with the same setup. period.
It's funny that you rant this and that and blah blah is rice...yet your argument is one that a ricer typically uses when comparing their car to a factory F/I car. "Well, if we had a s/c..." whatever, it's got a s/c, we don't, and it's faster then us....i just hate when people feel they have to put down othert cars to make themselves feel better about theirs. Or say if my car had this it would win to make themselves feel better about it's performance. We are right in the middle of the pack performance wise, and alot of 4-bangers will hand us our ***,.

I don't see how any car is rice when stock anyway, rice is usually defined by tasteless appearence mods and all show and no go. The Cobalt SS s/c, or SRT 4 or Evo etc...they're definetly not all show and no go.

Didn't mean to single your post out, just something that always bugs me when people say.

i think everyone should stop bashing this argument. there is nothing wrong with comparing stock prices of cars and the aftermarket potential of each. its not ricer-ish, its smart if u are into racing. the ricer excuse is when u buy a car that cant handle anything u do to it, and then complain about people who can "well u have a sc". I was hit the other week with "are u really going to spray against a 4 cyl?" to which i responded "I dont think id have to" (pissed the guy and his 2 buddies off ) but most of these cars, and especially mustangs, are bought for the aftermarket, especially in a circle such as we are in right now. personally, i would rather have a 20k mustang (gt tho... sorry guys [8D]) with 500 hp than a new zo6 with 500 hp for 80k or whatever they go for. plus, i just hink its cool to be the underdog in a race.
Ive seen TT vipers, and a TT v6 mustang, and i gotta tell u, the mustang was way the hell cooler, was just as fast, was probably half as expensive to build, and was probably just as rare or rarer. the point is, if someone is into planning out a car from the base up, leave them alone about it, its a good plan, and if finances are a part of that plan.... hes normal . People can attach their own value to a car whether they choose to hold a fast stock car as valuable, or a cheap slow car with oodles of potential as more valuable.
Old 08-25-2006, 02:01 PM
nascar17

I'm not sure where alot of the information comes from on the cobalts times but, based on experience, I can't see these cars being very impressive nor do I see the Dodge SRT4 that impressive either. They are kids cars, as you can purchase them cheap and it seems that every 16 year old in the world has one. These kids aren't even close to knowing that reliability along with speed is the most important thing to your car. You should here these kids about what they have done to their cars, and I just shake my head as one smokes into the horizon. I take my 12 year old boy and 17 year old daughter to orlando speed world at least twice a month. I have a 2006 V6 Pony Addition Mustang with a true dual exhaust, a computer upgrade for 93 octane and a cold air kit. The computer upgrade, with the items listed, put me at 192.5344 HP at the rear wheel's according to the Dyno at Lamatta performance in town. Last time we were there, there must have been a million SRT4's and Cobalts with 2 Cobalts being supercharged. All the SRT4's were running 14.5 to 14.8 sec. 1/4 mile times. The Stock Cobalts, either because the drivers were bad or they really aren't that fast of a car, were running just bearly in the 15's, (15.8, 15.87, 15.92 etc...) and one that ran 16.2 sec.'s. The supercharged ones were running 14.73's and 14.924. Not that impressive. My 17 year old daughter ran 15.47 and 15.395 driving alone with my mildly modified heavy V6 Mustang, and I was able to get it to 15.237 at its best. I have a traction lock and 4:10 gears waiting to be installed in the car, as at 80 MPH I am only taching 2400 RPM's, and hope this will put me in the high 14's with no turbo or supercharger. I saw a few SRT4's smoking out the tail pipes and one of the supercharged Cobalts had a ticking noise. These cars are O.K but from what I have seen, aren't built as well as the Mustang. Who really looks at a Cobalt or SRT4 and says WOW!!!, You also have to rememeber that these small cars are alot lighter than the Mustang (basically go carts with no passenger protection) I would never put my kids in one of these cars, nor will I let my daughter in one. Her boyfriend was T-boned in one of the SRT4's (racing down a main street, HOW STUPID!!!) and was in the hospital for 2 weeks. The car was totaled, and the Highway Patrol said the other car was going 45 mph and he was going away from the car. Doesn't take much impact for these cars. Thank god I didn't let my daughter go out that night. What a piece of junk !!!! Be proud of your mustang, as I can see it lasting like the old models did, and with alittle luck, the after market will come up with more items for the V6, and we won't have to rely on a $5,000.00 supercharger.

Greg wilson
Old 08-25-2006, 04:22 PM
boss 244
3rd Gear Member

must of been one well modded ion I raced then......
Old 08-25-2006, 06:59 PM
SpecterGT260
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: codyss

I hate to break this to you but the 2006 Non-Supercharged Cobalt SS would give a V6 a good run. But a 2005-2006 would have killed any year of V6.

The 205HP rating is BS they are actually around 240-245HP at the flywheel. With a weight of 2900lbs that equals low 14's @ 98+mph 100% bone stock!

A 1999-2004 GT might have the edge from a dig but that is all from a roll the SS will eat a GT alive. They are hard as hell to launch thus why some 1/4 numbers are not to impressive.

yeah looooooow 14s..... like 14.4 and weve all seen the videos of stock GTs pulling on stock ss/sc at any speed.

however, the cars are underrated, and quicker than u would think. just not quite this much..... 14.4 is an excellent time for a ss/sc, like 14.0 for a PI GT (or maybe we should compare that to the infamous 13.9.......) most cobalts ss/sc are running high 14s at the track, with a good number running in the mids, and a couple dropping into 14.4 or maybe even 14.3.... but that only happens if McQueen decides to discrace himself in a cavalier. I will give it to u cody, that the ss/sc mods much better than a PI GT ever will, and with reletively few mods the ss/sc will take out a stock GT, but it wont happen stock.
Old 08-25-2006, 07:01 PM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

Someone went digging to find this old thread. It's all good...
Old 08-25-2006, 07:02 PM
SpecterGT260
5th Gear Member

this thread is pretty new actually, just looks like every other cobalt vs the world thread.
Old 08-25-2006, 07:07 PM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

SpecterGT260 Date 8/25/2006 4:02:34 PM
this thread is pretty new actually, just looks like every other cobalt vs the world thread.
I was referring to the fact that the original post in this thread was dated November 14, 2005. Good info though...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Run in with a COBOLT ??

Advertising
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.