Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Run in with a COBOLT ??

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2005, 01:24 AM
ricklmesa@cox.net
3rd Gear Member

Default Run in with a COBOLT ??

Today on the way to the job site I pulled up to one of those Chevy Cobolts. He had a big stock fin on the end of it. I was stairing off waiting for the light to change when I thought I heard a rev come out of his engine (looked over, huh must of been that truck that went by) He reved again, which then I knew he wanted to race but we were in morning traffic. The light turned green, there was like four cars ahead of both of us so we were really gunna go no where so when I got a little room I popped the clutch and my little tire spun its little self for about 3 to 4 seconds. Then I hear him trying to burn out but he couldnt for some reason, then I hear a turbo kick in!!! and he cought right up to me. I was like what the %$#& a Cobolt with turbo??[&:] Eather that or you could hear his CAI really good but I dought that it was brand new he didn't even have a plate on it yet. We bearly got into 3rd gear we just kept messing with each other by dropping it into 2nd never got to race. I got to tell you I think he would have took me by a little If we had a clear road honestly,not by much but still would have took me. Pisses me off kinda. I know ya cant win them all but a cobolt.

Hell what is this world coming too. Now we not only haft to look out for the 06 eclipse but a new 06 cobolt, 06 Honda Civic, its gittin kinda lame. I mean we have nothing going for us except looks untill you get hella mods under the hood. Its just a little weird that I can go get a Cobolt and be just as fast as 05 or 06 Mustang V6 and just deal with it looking like %$#@. I choose the Mustang cause It looked good and it had 210 HP (didnt know that ford rates HP at the Flywheel so were really a 170 hP and 208 TQ) and it was an American car I respect Asian Import & I really really love the women, I would about kill for one but I dont care much for the cars. Does anyone know if every Car rates there HP at the Flywheel? I mean does that 06 Eclipse really have 263 FW HP!! They love messing with the new 2005 V6 Mustangs cause are cars look alot faster than they are, Plus there still the hottest looking thing on the road right now even better than the Charger so ever one wants a piece.

I can't wait till I get my headers & true dual with a x pipe!!![:@] Im waiting till after Christmas. My patience is running out I got $1000 cash stashed in a book just for the exhaust right now as I type. I figure It'll cost around $1200 to $1500 all together with headers Ill just haft to slice the plastic for the remainder of the total if its over $1000 cash, hopefully less but thats what im ready for. I'll have that done by late January. Then I want to get my car tuned. After that I want to get my rear Driver side wheel turning along with the other one so I dont do one wheel burn outs. Rear gear diff limited slip or something like that along those lines. that should give the car a little more !huhmpfh! Any know how much that will cost me? I should be up to some pretty good HP then, at least in the 200's at the Rear wheels
Old 11-15-2005, 01:40 AM
badtzmaru
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Run in with a COBOLT ??

Cobalt SS
The result is an impressive 1.68 horsepower per cubic inch, or 205 hp and 200 pound-feet of torque.

I think you could have taken him or it would have been a good drivers race. Good luck next time.
Old 11-15-2005, 02:29 AM
03YellowPony
6th Gear Member

^^^^^^^^^^^
What he said. And they are SUPERCHARGED. Not turbocharged. I test drove one...eh...I still went with the V6 stang..
Old 11-15-2005, 10:49 AM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 03YellowPony

^^^^^^^^^^^
What he said. And they are SUPERCHARGED. Not turbocharged. I test drove one...eh...I still went with the V6 stang..
Yea, I wouldnt worry too much. The other cars are rated at the flywheel too, and most imports are over rated. Though I hear they are getting better about this. If they are running 205 with a SC I wouldn't stress out over it, you have a stronger base engine and with a SC, you will be pushing a lot more than him. It's kinda like the mustang V6/V8 debate. Mod for mod, power adder vs. power adder the V8 will beat us. Just the way it is, has a stronger baseline to work with.

On that Civic, I'm willing to bet getting a turbo/sc will be damn near impossible. The engine bay must be jamed packed to fit 198HP under the hood, only route for them to go is Nitrous. Also, look at where the power is, usually asian cars HP is on the high end, so for off the line performance, we still win.

I currently crush RSX's, Civics and Integras all day around here. I'm in the DC area and the import scene is huge here. For some reason, most of them think they can take a stang. That dosent mean I don't respect them, for example, I wont mess with one of those 300HP WRX's. They are sick fast and light as hell.

Just my two cents.
Old 11-15-2005, 03:56 PM
mtal1259
1st Gear Member

The Cobalt SS Supercharged has the same HP and MSRP as the Mustang (roughly). I look at it this way, the Mustang looks a HELL of a lot better. How many looks do you think you will get driving a Cobalt, AND HOW MANY LOOKS DO YOU GET DRIVING YOUR 'STANG?

But I feel your pain...I dont want any grandma looking car being faster than mine. Even the Mitsubishi Evolution's. I think they look like little chick cars, but we all know they will kick the stock V6's ***. But stock, they cost $8000-9000 more than a base V6 Mustang. Put $8000 in the Mustang and it will keep up with just about anything on the road, (at the same price).
Old 11-15-2005, 04:10 PM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

Well said!!!!!!
Old 11-30-2005, 04:01 PM
codyss

I hate to break this to you but the 2006 Non-Supercharged Cobalt SS would give a V6 a good run. But a 2005-2006 would have killed any year of V6.

The 205HP rating is BS they are actually around 240-245HP at the flywheel. With a weight of 2900lbs that equals low 14's @ 98+mph 100% bone stock!

A 1999-2004 GT might have the edge from a dig but that is all from a roll the SS will eat a GT alive. They are hard as hell to launch thus why some 1/4 numbers are not to impressive.
Old 11-30-2005, 04:04 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

1999 Ford Mustang GT 5.5 14.1
2005 Chevrolet Cobalt SS 6.1 14.6 (C&D Sept '05)

nuff said
Old 08-24-2006, 07:19 PM
steve_stang
1st Gear Member

My buddy's got a 2005 Cobalt SS SC and it is quick.

We finally got down to a race a couple of weeks ago. I had him off the line by about 1/4 of a car length, which isn’t good considering he is FWD. I had a bad launch, but he says he did too (the road has those cross intersection grooves). He caught up to me in 1st and started to pull away in second by the time I hit third he was a car length ahead of me which is about where he stayed until we shut it down, another sec or two.

I feel that if I had a perfect launch and he had a poor launch we would have been neck and neck by third. But same driver, same launch I would have to give the edge to the Cobalt SS SC. Not to mention he has a short shifter and a CAI.

Since that race he has acquired GM stage 2 which boasts and additional 40hp and more torque. But that is about as far as he will be able to take it, being FWD if he goes higher he will really have a problem with his launches. Me, if I add a SC or TC I can take it too the moon, alice.

Plus the Cobalt SS SC is about 3000.00 more here in Canada which almost pays for all my mods.

Even before he got his stage 2, he was killing guys all over the place, he also says that almost ever time they pull up beside him and ask what he has done with it G35 coupes, BMW’s, Crossfires, cars that are almost twice as much. I looked into a Cobalt SS SC but….

I loves my Stang, Loves it… rather have it any day. FWD ha ha ha sucker
Old 08-24-2006, 07:49 PM
AmericanICON
3rd Gear Member

I don't think that Ford will ever build the V6 Mustang to be a totally respectable performance car because that's what the Mustang GT is for. A more powerful, more respectable V6 would hurt GT sales. Ford has made a Mustang that destroys the other cars mentioned in this thread, and it's the Mustang GT.
Kudos to the guys that have built their V6's to run GT-like and better numbers...you did the job that Ford won't do.

Quick Reply: Run in with a COBOLT ??