Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

I've had it

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2005, 04:54 PM
a42mustang

Default I've had it

Well, my astra hammond rear window louver flew off while I was driving! It had rained a night before in Maryland, and I'll be damned if the thing didn't fly right off. I've had it with 3M products, because they're too unpredictable. Now I have $200 down the drain, and a cracked louver to prove it. My Rousch quarter louvers had the same problem, so I just took them off. The aftermarket wheels don't stop shaking as well, anyone have this problem with aftermarket wheels? The rings I have don't do jack to keep them from causing my steering wheel to shake. Bad, bad, and more bad!![:@]
Old 11-15-2005, 05:01 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Default RE: I've had it

ORIGINAL: a42mustang

Well, my astra hammond rear window louver flew off while I was driving! It had rained a night before in Maryland, and I'll be damned if the thing didn't fly right off. I've had it with 3M products, because they're too unpredictable. Now I have $200 down the drain, and a cracked louver to prove it. My Rousch quarter louvers had the same problem, so I just took them off. The aftermarket wheels don't stop shaking as well, anyone have this problem with aftermarket wheels? The rings I have don't do jack to keep them from causing my steering wheel to shake. Bad, bad, and more bad!![:@]
Someone else here on MF posted a possible fix for this. Apparently there are some notched washer that hold the brake rotor in place if you take the wheel off. What seems to work for the aftermarket shake you're getting is, take each rim off and remove the washers that are 'threaded' onto two or three wheel studs of each rotor. They are not needed since they are only used during the production of the car down the assembly line. They're only a couple mm thick but it's enough that it could cause the shaking/vibration you're feeling.

That should address that wheel shake. Of course make sure your all of your tires are wearing evenly, wheels are torqued, and the tires are all the same pressure.
Old 11-15-2005, 06:22 PM
mtal1259
1st Gear Member

thanks for the info, I feel a bit of shaking in my steering wheel, and I have 20's on my car. They are a bit banged up, (hit a few curbs). I figured I needed to have them balanced again. When I take it in for rotation and re-balancing, I will remove the washers (if they are still on there).
Old 11-15-2005, 11:43 PM
dinoe254

to fit 20's on your car did you have to get a bigger wheel and retune your engine?
Old 11-16-2005, 11:54 AM
mtal1259
1st Gear Member

ya know, it was a dealer add when the car was on the showroom floor, so I dont know. I didnt get to choose them, I bought the car because I liked the color and options. Personally I wouldnt have chosen the wheels, I think they are a bit much. But I like them better than the stock ones.
Old 11-17-2005, 02:43 AM
ford4v429
3rd Gear Member

interesting...I woulda thought that 3M VHB tape would not come off...I still dont know If Id trust it to hold on a plastic piece that will regularly see >100mph windspeeds, but still, thats pretty strong stuff. Just curious, what do they recommend cleaning the glass with before install? often expected would need acetone or laquer thinner to remove any silicones that may have gotten on the glass when waxing- then wondered if anyones damaged paint when cleaning the glass off...when it came off did the tape come off clean or did the foamlike center separate? I see the big rear window(not side) louvers also use tape mounts, think I like the old 69/70 hinges better...
Old 11-17-2005, 07:28 AM
scrming
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ford4v429

interesting...I woulda thought that 3M VHB tape would not come off...I still dont know If Id trust it to hold on a plastic piece that will regularly see >100mph windspeeds, but still, thats pretty strong stuff. Just curious, what do they recommend cleaning the glass with before install? often expected would need acetone or laquer thinner to remove any silicones that may have gotten on the glass when waxing- then wondered if anyones damaged paint when cleaning the glass off...when it came off did the tape come off clean or did the foamlike center separate? I see the big rear window(not side) louvers also use tape mounts, think I like the old 69/70 hinges better...
yeah... i've got the rear quarter window louvers and a front chin spoiler that are held on with 3M tape... The front chin spoiler of course get a lot of pressure and the side louvers get blasted pretty hard when I was the car... everything is still on tight... no signs of loosening up at all... hmmm...