Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

All Aluminum Muffler?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2005, 11:55 PM
karlriggs

Default All Aluminum Muffler?

Hey, I have a 2005 V6 Mustang, and looking for a muffler upgrade. I've done a decent amount of research and have tried looking for a decent sounding muffler either dual or single, although single is preferred because I am a High School Student and money just isn't flowing. I originally looked at the Magnaflow Single Axle-Back Muffler because it was cheap, it sounded good, and it's gotten decent reviews / support. But after i talked with numerous people they said an all aluminum muffler would be preferred, since I do very short drives to and from school, meaning more possibilites for rust. With the current muffler i've already developed concerns with rust, so basically I was recommended an all aluminum one. I believe that the magnaflow's aren't all aluminum, thus my problem. I was wondering if any of you came across a good quality and good sounding all aluminum muffler. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
Old 11-17-2005, 12:08 AM
LesteR723
5th Gear Member

Default RE: All Aluminum Muffler?

Well... i know how you feel... i'm a high school JR and i want to put exhaust on. After sampling NUMEROUS exhaust clips of even the same type of exhaust on different cars and such... i have concluded the single just isnt worth it, and if your going to do it at all, DO IT RIGHT!

I got a chance to take a peek at the current setup for the exhaust and it almost seems to be engineered to be dual. Its already got 2 Cats, and the Y joint isnt until about the back seats in relation to the interior; thus fabbing something (H-pipe/X-pipe) would be cheaper and easier. The deepest most throaty clip i'v heard was a flowmaster clip with an H-pipe fabricated at a local Meinekie shop (spelling?).

I'm going with dual stainless steel (rust proof with 10 year warantee) Flowmaster Delta Flow's, and getting my local Meinekie shop to fab up an H-pipe for me.

If you dont already know the difference, an H-pipe makes your exhaust resonate more and makes a noticably different and deeper tone. The X-Pipe style make a somewhat ricier sound but ads performance. If you'd like i can send you clips of the flows with the H-pipe and the GT Takeoff's with the X-pipe so you can hear the difference for yourself. I also have a clip of dual Magnaflows, and just for the record, single wont ever sound as good as dual if thats what your aiming for.. so pay close attention to how the Mag's sound.

PM me if you want a quick response/clips soon... if you dont really care and arent in much of a hurry just repost here and i'll check it at some point. I can either send the clips via AIM or email... your choice, just let me know, cuz i'd be glad to help a fellow stang owner

and sorry for ranting... just giving you the details
Old 11-17-2005, 01:36 PM
RedAlertlb
3rd Gear Member

well UPS is supposed to be dropping my magnaflow duals off sometime today. so when i get out of my night calls at about 7 me and my buddy are going to put them on. i would gladly take pics and record some sound for you. oh and i know what you mean about the money thing, i graduated class of '05. the only reason i have to money to do this now is because i am in the army.
Old 11-17-2005, 05:55 PM
karlriggs

Awesome guys I would greatly appreciate any sound clips and pictures you have. The info on the X, and H pipe really helps. This is just something that has so many choices and the more information you can get, the better. I'm still under the watch of my father right now, so that means i have to watch my upgrades, i have to wait until I graduate before I get the performace upgrades. But is a dual system really that much better? My neighbor has a GT and i hear it start up every morning, it's amazing, but there is a lot of hidden costs to get that sound, like to get your bumper cut. My father says it shouldn't be cut ( for some good reason ) and getting a GT bumper would look better. This means more $. And ones that doesn't rust is even more $. I see what you guys are saying but there is a limit to my pcoket [sm=smiley24.gif]
Old 11-17-2005, 07:37 PM
LesteR723
5th Gear Member

Well, if it would make him feel anymore comfortable, you can always get the bumper notched professionally for like 20 bux... but he's right, the GT bumper would look muhc better and thats the route i'm going... i'm just gonna save up for the whole GT body kit (not performance because i'm in the same heap of **** your in)

Whatever you do DONT get the duals installed and then get the GT bumper put on... because i know another guy that had them put on for $100, and they had to adjust both exhausts to make it look right on the new bumper and it was an extra $300 in labor...

And yes, duals will make all the difference in the world. You'll get a muhc better sound out of it and anywhere from a little bit louder to "the cops can hear you from 10 miles away" loud.

but be mindful that some exhaust alterations may cause your exhaust to be too drafty and open and you'll loose that back pressure in your exhaust, and essentially loose horsepower and possibly damage your engine.

Getting the GT bumpers from him: its $550 + shipping... which is really a great deal concitering the front bumper alone with no fogs from ford is $460
http://crashparts.cascocompany.net/