Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

trac loc

Old 12-03-2005, 01:11 PM
TJ
4th Gear Member

Default RE: trac loc

Steven6095
Sorta on the topic
Is it true some 05 V6's came with the t-loc already installed?
If so, how do you really tell. Mine was an early 05 and I have never wobbled at all and it feels like both are pulling.
Next time I have it on the rack I will find out the easy way
Ok I am not sure but I will tell you this, I test drove/beat on a GT & V6 both sticks befrore I bought my car on the GT I did 2 4K hole shots rear of the car TQ to the right rubber all through first. We go back pick up the 6 (can't rem if it was a 05 or06) to get to this long street you make a left and I stoped in the same spot as the GT I also did a 3500-4000 hole shot with the V6 rear of car also TQ to the right ( made me thig posi right there) and rubber deep near the top of first gear quite suprised actually. So we come around and as we are coming back I look real hard and it looks like posi because of the smaller tire marks vers the GT.

So when I leave the dealership I drove back to where I did the holeshots I get out of my car eye the street and not 100% sure kinda hard to tell but I believe that car V6 spun both rear wheels. I could be wrong but I will test with my car get when I get some more miles on it only have about 300 on it now.

I have read many people say no limited slipi/T lok in the V6 and I always think about that day in the V6 and wasn't going to post unless my car showed me both wheels spinning but what the heck.

Just my 2 cents

T
Old 12-03-2005, 01:25 PM
scrming
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: TJ

Steven6095
Sorta on the topic
If so, how do you really tell. Mine was an early 05 and I have never wobbled at all and it feels like both are pulling.
Ok I am not sure but I will tell you this, I test drove/beat on a GT & V6 both sticks befrore I bought my car on the GT I did 2 4K hole shots rear of the car TQ to the right rubber all through first. We go back pick up the 6 (can't rem if it was a 05 or06) to get to this long street you make a left and I stoped in the same spot as the GT I also did a 3500-4000 hole shot with the V6 rear of car also TQ to the right ( made me thig posi right there) and rubber deep near the top of first gear quite suprised actually. So we come around and as we are coming back I look real hard and it looks like posi because of the smaller tire marks vers the GT.

So when I leave the dealership I drove back to where I did the holeshots I get out of my car eye the street and not 100% sure kinda hard to tell but I believe that car V6 spun both rear wheels. I could be wrong but I will test with my car get when I get some more miles on it only have about 300 on it now.

I have read many people say no limited slipi/T lok in the V6 and I always think about that day in the V6 and wasn't going to post unless my car showed me both wheels spinning but what the heck.

Just my 2 cents

T
At first I could have swore my V6 felt like it had LSD... but of course I was wrong... Do a burnout on nice level asphalt and I would get only a single line of rubber on the passenger side. And of course you can always check the tag on the differential... If it says just "3.31" then it's an open diff. For track-lock the tag also has a letter on it... Not exactly sure what letter.... but it was posted some where... LOL
Old 12-03-2005, 01:36 PM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

Steven6095
Sorta on the topic

Just my 2 cents

T
That is very thorough TJ! I didn't do any sort of test like that, but what I did do was watch my TLOK install, and examine the stock part, and it is indeed not a limited slip diff part. Looking at the gears you can tell it only spins one wheel. In fact its sitting in my garage. I can take a picture if you are intested and post it.

Old 12-03-2005, 01:41 PM
TJ
4th Gear Member

scrming
At first I could have swore my V6 felt like it had LSD... but of course I was wrong... Do a burnout on nice level asphalt and I would get only a single line of rubber on the passenger side. And of course you can always check the tag on the differential... If it says just "3.31" then it's an open diff. For track-lock the tag also has a letter on it... Not exactly sure what letter.... but it was posted some where... LOL
You to huh yea but the TQ to the right that shouidn't happen on an open right? and the marks abeit hard to see kinda street cleaners but did look like both tires .I still have to prove it to my self (hard head) you could be right

Thanks for the tip I have seen that tag before but I just went out and took a close a look it says 3.31 but also has V272-E next (1/2'-1" away to right along w/ bar code & syn lube) to it. Does yours also have that V272-E ?

Thanks scrming

Scrming of just took this pic.

Old 12-03-2005, 02:50 PM
scrming
5th Gear Member

scrming
You to huh yea but the TQ to the right that shouidn't happen on an open right? and the marks abeit hard to see kinda street cleaners but did look like both tires .I still have to prove it to my self (hard head) you could be right

Thanks for the tip I have seen that tag before but I just went out and took a close a look it says 3.31 but also has V272-E next (1/2'-1" away to right along w/ bar code & syn lube) to it. Does yours also have that V272-E ?

Thanks scrming

Scrming of just took this pic.

If you had the track-lock it should be some thing like 3L31 or 331L... There should be an L some where to indicated its a Limited Slip Axle...

I will admit... more than once I swore my car had to be LSD... but after putting in the Trac-Lock... well... there is just no mistaking that NOW i have a LSD! LOL!