Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

2005/2006 Mustang - Manual Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2005, 07:09 PM
gwDiesel

Default RE: 2005/2006 Mustang - Manual Transmission

I posted about this a few months ago, I have the exact problem in my 05 too. This does not occur everytime either, there are some times I put it in nuetral to coast to a stop and the rpm's go down like normal. I'm not sure the emmission explanation settles with me just yet. My big question on this, would there be any long term issues with your engine running like this?

Old 12-20-2005, 08:51 PM
tangtang
2nd Gear Member

has anyone considered the AC compressor? It can cause the rpm to rise when coasting.
Old 12-21-2005, 10:14 AM
ScottRNelson
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: tangtang

has anyone considered the AC compressor? It can cause the rpm to rise when coasting.
It shouldn't have any effect when the AC is off. And I doubt that it would suddenly make the rpms drop the second the car comes to a complete stop.

I can't see how the AC compressor would have anything to do with the annoying behavior.
Old 03-02-2007, 03:33 PM
mechwife

My 2006 V6 does this too!!! In neutral cruising up to a stop sign, coasting down hills, or in stop and go traffic, the RPMs surge up to 2500 (sometimes more, sometimes, less, and sometimes not at all) Very erratic. I'm so annoyed (understatement). Spoke with a Ford district engineer and he says "it's normal." Claims that when you are coasting it thinks you should be in gear and is giving it RPMs to try and get you to what gear you should be in. I think this is BS and I told him so, which he didn't take to kindly to. If I want to coast to a stop sign I should be able to. Also, in traffic I have to keep my foot on the clutch and keep it in gear the whole time, because when I put it in neutral it surges. After an hour or so of that your left foot goes numb. I was pretty much told to like it or lump it.

I've had the whole throttle body replaced and the PCM as well as a possible leak fixed and some sort of switch on the gas pedal. Probably other things too, but I'm not a mechanic. Next thing to try is the switch on the clutch. I'm willing to lay $$$ down that it won't fix it. Anybody have any luck with this problem being fixed?
Old 03-02-2007, 05:50 PM
scrming
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mechwife

My 2006 V6 does this too!!! In neutral cruising up to a stop sign, coasting down hills, or in stop and go traffic, the RPMs surge up to 2500 (sometimes more, sometimes, less, and sometimes not at all) Very erratic. I'm so annoyed (understatement). Spoke with a Ford district engineer and he says "it's normal." Claims that when you are coasting it thinks you should be in gear and is giving it RPMs to try and get you to what gear you should be in. I think this is BS and I told him so, which he didn't take to kindly to. If I want to coast to a stop sign I should be able to. Also, in traffic I have to keep my foot on the clutch and keep it in gear the whole time, because when I put it in neutral it surges. After an hour or so of that your left foot goes numb. I was pretty much told to like it or lump it.

I've had the whole throttle body replaced and the PCM as well as a possible leak fixed and some sort of switch on the gas pedal. Probably other things too, but I'm not a mechanic. Next thing to try is the switch on the clutch. I'm willing to lay $$$ down that it won't fix it. Anybody have any luck with this problem being fixed?
I think there is a more current thread somewhere that addresses this... and i think was determined this was "normal" but for a different reason... something to do with emissions... since I'm an auto i did pay close attention..
Old 03-02-2007, 06:03 PM
tilt
2nd Gear Member

yeah I would agree with Scrming..emission reasons, but surges up to 2500 does not sound quite right. I always coast in Neutral myself, it takes a while for the RPMs to fall I know, but never really noticed and RPM surges. How fast are you going when you are getting surges of 2500+? I will check mine out over the next couple of days and report what I see.
Old 03-02-2007, 06:11 PM
ScottRNelson
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: tilt

yeah I would agree with Scrming..emission reasons, but surges up to 2500 does not sound quite right. I always coast in Neutral myself, it takes a while for the RPMs to fall I know, but never really noticed and RPM surges. How fast are you going when you are getting surges of 2500+?
Mine only goes up to 2500 if the engine is cold. It will go as high as 1800 with a warm engine. In my case, speeds are from 40 mph down to zero, and it doesn't drop until the car is at a complete stop. I'm continually annoyed by this "feature", but have decided to just live with it.
Old 03-02-2007, 11:18 PM
mechwife

My problem sounds like it is the same as yours Scott... and quite annoying. Doesn't really seem to matter if the engine is cold or not...it's really intermittent. And of course, doesn't do it for the Ford dealership. Emissions smishions. That's crap. It's just NOT normal for a car to do this!!!! This is a defect in the design! Speeds are the same, etc. Pushing in the clutch makes it stop... but I have had occasions where when I let off the clutch it starts to rev again. It's just BS that they can claim it's normal just to get away with not having to fix the engineering fault.
Old 03-03-2007, 12:17 PM
mechwife

Also, it doesn't stop when I come to a complete stop until I push in the clutch....just continues to rev until I do.