Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

magnaflow dual install and an important question :)

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2005, 02:54 AM
Puleo76
3rd Gear Member

Default magnaflow dual install and an important question :)

Ok guys, I have installed my magnaflows basically.... i tried using the wrench to tighten it all but the pipes still slide..

my question is this... it says 65 pounds needed... does a torque wrench really make that much of a difference? if i buy and use 1 will that make the pipes not slide anymore ?

can someone explain to me about torque wrenchs becuase im very ignorant.
Old 12-30-2005, 09:19 AM
afixer
5th Gear Member

Default RE: magnaflow dual install and an important question :)

saw these looked like they might help or confuse give them a look two differant views

http://www.virginiawind.com/tips/torque_wrench.asp
http://www.surebolt.com/Torque_Wrench.htm
Old 12-30-2005, 01:43 PM
Pyrat
3rd Gear Member

A torque wrench is a handy thing to have in your toolkit, but I wouldn't think it is necessary for tightening up exhaust stuff. Every bolt has a manufactures maximum torque rating and a torque wrench will keep you from exceeding this, but in general, torque wrenches are only required for things like head bolts where vibration will cause bolts to back off if they are not tightened to almost identical torque specs.

I take it you are talking about the exhaust pipe hangers. You might look into some kind of gasket material to line the hangers with which would compensate for the slop, but make sure the material will handle the exhaust temperature.

Now if you are talking about the header to exhaust pipe connection, two or more bolts on each side of the pipe with a donut gasket, a torque wrench would make sure the torque on the bolts was equal and might solve the problem.
Old 12-30-2005, 01:45 PM
burdweiser
2nd Gear Member

What do you mean the pipes slide? I didn't use a torque wrench on mine, wasn't really needed. Just tighten it enough to where it stays in place.
Old 12-30-2005, 01:47 PM
Puleo76
3rd Gear Member

yea man, it seems no matter how tight i bolt the pipes... they slide still, especially the driver side.... every clamp... pass side not so much tho...

afixer, thanks a lot for those links. i appreciate it a lot!

tom
Old 12-30-2005, 01:55 PM
Pyrat
3rd Gear Member

Interesting. The diameter of the pipes you installed is 2.5-inch, right? You might measure the diameter of the pipe you removed and compare it to the diameter of the new stuff to make sure you got the right diameter pipe from your dealer. Check the clamps and make sure there is no grit or other obstruction preventing them from fully closing. You might also try removing the clamps and using a little judicial hammer work to reduce their inside diameter, but this is kind of a Mickey Mouse way of fixing it. Probably the best way, if you can't get them to seat normally and assuming the pipe is the correct diameter would be to add the gasket material.
Old 12-30-2005, 03:05 PM
Puleo76
3rd Gear Member

ok guys. i figured out why it didnt stop them from moving.. i didnt have the clamps set in the right spots... my new problem is there is a weird noise coming out of it sorta sounds like a rattle somewhere? im gonna have 2 double check everything again..

but did any of u hear a noise?
Old 12-30-2005, 04:02 PM
burdweiser
2nd Gear Member

ya, make sure you have enough clearance between the drivers side exhaust and the spare tire well. What I did was stuff a piece of card board between the two while I tightened things up.
Old 12-30-2005, 07:38 PM
Puleo76
3rd Gear Member

so i put on my GT rear bumper and there is a bulge coming out the driver side alittle bit near where the taillights are... its really freaking me out... i took out the rivets and i broke that peice that was riveted ... the harness part and now i think that may be why there is a slight bulge on my bumper.... it stinks...

but the noise i heard left... if i hear it again, ill try what u said but i looked and everything is tight and there is the recommended 1/2 inch clearance like the directions said.

if anyone knows what im talking about w/ the bumper please help cuase i really dont like the look of it bulging slightly... ill have 2 post a pic later...

Old 12-30-2005, 10:23 PM
afixer
5th Gear Member

that sucks i have posted the bumper removal pdfs on 2005 stang do you need them

http://www.2005stang.com/gallery/alb...r%20bumper.pdf

Quick Reply: magnaflow dual install and an important question :)