Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

should Icancel my extended warranty? need input and heres my reasoning

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2006, 02:43 AM
Puleo76
3rd Gear Member

Default should Icancel my extended warranty? need input and heres my reasoning

yea... so i have been thinking i might get rid of my extended warranty becuase i could sure use that extra money back and i think sooner or later the warranty is gonna void out....

just so i know tho... a list of things that will void out the warranty would be a turbo or a super charger definately... headers?? what else i just wanna know 2 maybe help sway my decision becuase i need money first 2 be able 2 afford the good stuff, lol... but being i have my stock warranty i should be fine with it until i can afford the good stuff...

so does it make sense? i can use the extra money i save monthy from not having hte extended warranty and either use it for bills or save it ? i have been thinking about this but im not sure if its a good idea and could use input.

tom
Old 01-06-2006, 03:58 AM
Badash
1st Gear Member

Default RE: should Icancel my extended warranty? need input and heres my reasoning

how long is your extended warranty?

With a V-6 engine you should be fine, since its a proven engine.
Old 01-06-2006, 03:35 PM
MHShockey30
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: should Icancel my extended warranty? need input and heres my reasoning

I called about the headers and they said that they would not void the warranty. If you need the extra money and you plan to add warranty voiding mods I would do it.
Old 01-06-2006, 04:16 PM
potro
1st Gear Member

I am on the same boat as you are my friend. I was wondering about that too. I already ordered a S/C and was thinking of canceling before I did anything to the car. Does anyone know who to call to cancel the warranty and will they send me a check or will they just deduct it from my loan.

Old 01-06-2006, 04:48 PM
scrming
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: potro

I am on the same boat as you are my friend. I was wondering about that too. I already ordered a S/C and was thinking of canceling before I did anything to the car. Does anyone know who to call to cancel the warranty and will they send me a check or will they just deduct it from my loan.

Canceling the warranty can be a nightmare... been there... LOL! Most likey you will need to put it in writing to the dealership where you bought the car. Eventually (hopefully ) you will get a refund check... 1st step is to call the dealership... It took me about 6 months to get my warranty cancelled and a refund check...
Old 01-06-2006, 04:59 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: Puleo76

yea... so i have been thinking i might get rid of my extended warranty becuase i could sure use that extra money back and i think sooner or later the warranty is gonna void out....

just so i know tho... a list of things that will void out the warranty would be a turbo or a super charger definately... headers?? what else i just wanna know 2 maybe help sway my decision becuase i need money first 2 be able 2 afford the good stuff, lol... but being i have my stock warranty i should be fine with it until i can afford the good stuff...

so does it make sense? i can use the extra money i save monthy from not having hte extended warranty and either use it for bills or save it ? i have been thinking about this but im not sure if its a good idea and could use input.

tom

Geez peeps..please get your facts straight before you worry about a mod voiding your warranty.
http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/...#Magnuson-Moss

A mod in and of itself will not void the warranty:
1) The warranty for a specific part will not cover an aftermarket part. i.e. you get new heads on your car. The heads are covered by whomever you purchased the heads from as they are no longer provided by FoMoCo (in this case) If your head gets messed up, the dealer will not warranty it.
2) However, if you have a Power steering pump go out and it's still OEM, you're covered. Unless they can prove that by putting on an aftermarket head, you caused failure to the P/S pump

3) Most automotive manufacturers do not supply you with a Ford Extended warranty The only one that Ford offers under their name is called the Ford ESP (extended service plan) it usually costs more and the dealer ship does not make as much off of it. SO, you more than likely got a third party extended warranty. What you need to do is contact THAT provider FIRST and tell them you want to cancel. They will help you get the ball rolling.

What normally takes so long to get refunds on the warranties is that you're asking the dealer to do all the leg work for you. You can if you want but it took me about 6 WEEKS to get a refund check when we got rid of my wifes 2002 Escape with an extended warranty. 4 of those weeks was waiting for the dealership to do it's montly check printing at the beginning of the following month.

Yes the dealer will ask you to put that request in writing but if you already have the info they need to process it, they won't lag. Your new car papers will have most of what you need. The warranty company will have the rest. It's up to you, take about an hour to do it yourself and get it done sooner, or let the dealership drag its feet with your money.
Old 01-06-2006, 05:15 PM
scrming
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Derf00

ORIGINAL: Puleo76

tom

Geez peeps..please get your facts straight before you worry about a mod voiding your warranty.
http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/...#Magnuson-Moss

A mod in and of itself will not void the warranty:
1) The warranty for a specific part will not cover an aftermarket part. i.e. you get new heads on your car. The heads are covered by whomever you purchased the heads from as they are no longer provided by FoMoCo (in this case) If your head gets messed up, the dealer will not warranty it.
2) However, if you have a Power steering pump go out and it's still OEM, you're covered. Unless they can prove that by putting on an aftermarket head, you caused failure to the P/S pump

3) Most automotive manufacturers do not supply you with a Ford Extended warranty The only one that Ford offers under their name is called the Ford ESP (extended service plan) it usually costs more and the dealer ship does not make as much off of it. SO, you more than likely got a third party extended warranty. What you need to do is contact THAT provider FIRST and tell them you want to cancel. They will help you get the ball rolling.

What normally takes so long to get refunds on the warranties is that you're asking the dealer to do all the leg work for you. You can if you want but it took me about 6 WEEKS to get a refund check when we got rid of my wifes 2002 Escape with an extended warranty. 4 of those weeks was waiting for the dealership to do it's montly check printing at the beginning of the following month.

Yes the dealer will ask you to put that request in writing but if you already have the info they need to process it, they won't lag. Your new car papers will have most of what you need. The warranty company will have the rest. It's up to you, take about an hour to do it yourself and get it done sooner, or let the dealership drag its feet with your money.
Reason my refund took so long was the dealership kept lying to me! It was absolutly crazy... I mean they came up with every excuse under the Sun not to give me my refund... Checks in the mail... oh, we sent it to the wrong address... oh, this check will need two signatures... oh, so and so doesn't work here anymore... It was absolutely comical! LOL! Needless to say I will never do business with that dealership again! LOL!

And while a mod won't void your entire warranty, some dealership use the mod as a excuse to blame everything on it! One gentleman posted that the dealership tried to blame his aftermarket muffer for causing the front end strut popping noise! LOL! Luckily my dealership is very cool about my mods...
Old 01-06-2006, 05:38 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: scrming

Reason my refund took so long was the dealership kept lying to me! It was absolutly crazy... I mean they came up with every excuse under the Sun not to give me my refund... Checks in the mail... oh, we sent it to the wrong address... oh, this check will need two signatures... oh, so and so doesn't work here anymore... It was absolutely comical! LOL! Needless to say I will never do business with that dealership again! LOL!

And while a mod won't void your entire warranty, some dealership use the mod as a excuse to blame everything on it! One gentleman posted that the dealership tried to blame his aftermarket muffer for causing the front end strut popping noise! LOL! Luckily my dealership is very cool about my mods...
well, that's a different story..Dealership integrity is going to be different accross the board. I've never fully trusted dealerships no matter how "nice" they are With my wifes 06 escape they tried to have GAP insurance and payoff insurance put on it. For one I put down 30% on the truck and have a 3 year loan so I'm never going to be in a situation where I'm upside down on the value. Even if insurance decides to try to rape me on a total out. That was fun trying to watch them spin that one to convince me I needed it.

Most insurances companies have a stipulation where if the person dies the car is automatically paid off. In total, there was $1500 in unessary coverages that I saved my **** on because I didn't trust them, read everything, and stood my ground.

Anyways, yeah, I can see why you had a helluva time getting a refund. At that point I would've gone down to the dealership and talked face to face and gotten something in writing from them. Glad it worked out for you in the end!
Old 01-10-2006, 10:59 PM
Puleo76
3rd Gear Member

ooo man... so they will give u a refund check? that sweet!! another question tho, will that lower the overall payment monthly or what happens... i am gonna def consider this.... lol

tom
Old 01-10-2006, 11:08 PM
Billykid

The extended warranty's are sold for dealer profit.....they can make it tough to cancel sometimes...cause it's comming back out of their pocket...
You should be able to cancel now....and buy before the manufactures one expires...ie 3yrs/60,000 kms anyways....so if you want...talk to them. if they are being honest.....they should refund your money...and allow you the option to purchase later...

Quick Reply: should Icancel my extended warranty? need input and heres my reasoning