Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Pick up this Month's issue of 5.0 magazine!

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2006, 11:19 AM
996r916sps
1st Gear Member

Default Pick up this Month's issue of 5.0 magazine!

This months issue shows PHP doing dyno runs on parts with SCT! They show the JBA headers and Muffler worth 17rwhp, which 3rwhp is from the muffler.

FYI
Old 01-10-2006, 12:16 PM
TJ
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Pick up this Month's issue of 5.0 magazine!

996r916sps
This months issue shows PHP doing dyno runs on parts with SCT! They show the JBA headers and Muffler worth 17rwhp, which 3rwhp is from the muffler.
996r I really enjoy reading your post keep posting, I guess 5.0 is in good company with Smokey Yunick and Grumpy Jenkins I also know Mike PowerHouse has a 3" single exhuast system to go with his Turbo for the V6, MRT runs a single exhuast with thier twin turbo setup Mustang V6 seems to me we have a pattern here.
3'= for built or charged MRT poss. 2.5 according to Scrming not confimed yet he will be checking so waiting to hear from Scrming on this.

"V6's benefit most by long tubes and a single 3" exhaust. this was proven on the dyno by Smokey Yunick and Grumpy Jenkins with their work on Buick even fire and Chevy semi-even fire V6 engines back in the late 70's. their work is cronicled in a book call V6 power. it is great reading even though it is way outdated."
Old 01-10-2006, 06:50 PM
scrming
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 996r916sps

FYI

That seems a little backwards.... or something...

An average stock V6 automatic makes about 170RWHP... we dyno'd my car stock except for the muffler (Magnaflow straight thru), 4.10 gears and t-lok... The car put down 184RWHP... So I would say the Magnaflow has got to be good for at least 10RWHP... possibly more like 12... (A gear swap can actually cause the car to show LESS HP)
Old 01-10-2006, 07:10 PM
hamidlmt
I ♥ Acer

is the article available online?

JBA has a dyno sheet that shows 17 rwhp gain with headers and muffler on the 4.0L Ranger. When talking to JBA before my purchase, they thought the gains on the Mustang would be very similar. Turns out they were right. My ****-dyno really felt like the JBA headers gave it a good kick.

I'll be getting a dyno at the end of next week along with my gear/t-lok install... I'll be sure to post results. It's a shame I wasn't doing dynos after ever step.... but, at least we'll have some numbers at the end of the day.
Old 01-10-2006, 07:50 PM
TJ
4th Gear Member

scrming
A gear swap can actually cause the car to show LESS HP
I hope you just mean show only for some reason on a dyno and not make less because I have never heard of a gear swap of causing a loss of HP never!
If it just showing a loss on a dyno do you have any links I liked to read it? The only thing I can think of why it might have a loss of HP if your trying to say because stock this car came with an open and by adding a T-Lok it takes a slight bit tiny more power to turn both wheels vs. 1 wheel or more teeth on the ring and pinion if thats it that is a stretch

You baited and I bit.
Old 01-10-2006, 08:23 PM
scrming
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: TJ

scrming
A gear swap can actually cause the car to show LESS HP
I hope you just mean show only for some reason on a dyno and not make less because I have never heard of a gear swap of causing a loss of HP never!
If it just showing a loss on a dyno do you have any links I liked to read it? The only thing I can think of why it might have a loss of HP if your trying to say because stock this car came with an open and by adding a T-Lok it takes a slight bit tiny more power to turn both wheels vs. 1 wheel or more teeth on the ring and pinion if thats it that is a stretch

You baited and I bit.
It has to do with the gear ratios... It's like the other day a guy posted his dyno sheet and it was incredibly low. His car was showing like 150RWHP!!!! Turned out they were making the pulls in like 2nd gear! Most dyno pulls are done in 4th gear where the tranny gear ratio is 1:1.... change out the stock rear gears and you change the final ratio... so the HP is not really lost it's shifted...
Old 01-11-2006, 11:41 AM
996r916sps
1st Gear Member

I have posted a couple notes on my experience so far, but all my dyno runs at Alternative Auto have been in 3rd gear! Lidio felt it took to long and was to hard on the car to run it in 4th gear. My numbers could be slightly low in 3rd gear because it's not 1:1. Next month when I swap to a 4.10 and T-Lok, I should be able to make the runs in 4th gear and let everyone know my final numbers.

P.S. - Look at the dyno chart from PHP in the article, and where they measure the HP increase! They measure it after the peaks, where you won't be! You will have shifted by then. The JBA muffler was good for 3rwhp/2rwtq, so the JBA headers are probably really only good for 10-11rwhp.

Hope this helps!
Old 01-12-2006, 12:01 AM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 996r916sps

I have posted a couple notes on my experience so far, but all my dyno runs at Alternative Auto have been in 3rd gear! Lidio felt it took to long and was to hard on the car to run it in 4th gear. My numbers could be slightly low in 3rd gear because it's not 1:1. Next month when I swap to a 4.10 and T-Lok, I should be able to make the runs in 4th gear and let everyone know my final numbers.

P.S. - Look at the dyno chart from PHP in the article, and where they measure the HP increase! They measure it after the peaks, where you won't be! You will have shifted by then. The JBA muffler was good for 3rwhp/2rwtq, so the JBA headers are probably really only good for 10-11rwhp.

Hope this helps!
10hp on headers, are they LT or ST? I can see that with LT.