Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Powerhouse Turbocharger!

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2006, 04:43 AM
hamidlmt
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Powerhouse Turbocharger!

ahh....twas vague... so, the non-intercooled powerhouse turbo charger is the same price of an, as of yet, unnamed intercooled supercharger...
Old 01-13-2006, 12:08 PM
StupidTodd
2nd Gear Member

ProCharger Intercooled supercharger: found here - http://www.rpmoutlet.com/05v6ati.htm
3860.30 - Stage I (Intercooled)
4136.80 - Stage 2 (Intercooled)

Or on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2005-...28446667QQrdZ1

PowerHouse Turbocharger
3995.99 - Non intercooled
4795.99 - Intercooled

Old 01-13-2006, 12:25 PM
GIDDEUP
2nd Gear Member

Ok so now the stupid question. Which one's better?
Old 01-13-2006, 01:01 PM
StupidTodd
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GIDDEUP

How do you define 'better'?

Does better mean, which will produce the most power? Then, right now, it would probably be the PowerHouse Turbocharger (with a 75 shot of N2O until the turbo built boost). The only reason being that the turbo wouldn't have as much of a parasitic draw on the motor as the supercharger would.

Does better mean, which is the safest? The safest, would probably be the stage I, intercooled supercharger. You wouldn't get as much power, but you also wouldn't have to worry about your rearend ripping itself to shreds (amonst other things that could go wrong).

All in all, it's up to what you want to do, how far you plan on going, and how much you want to spend.

Personally, I'm going the custom twin turbo route with nitrous, forged engine, methane injection, new rearend, blah blah blah, but that's a ways off... gotta take things one step a time, and stick to the plan.
Old 01-13-2006, 02:06 PM
Mike@PowerHouse

ORIGINAL: GIDDEUP

I am not going to answer the question as to which one is better but alow me to point out a few things.

The non intercooled system is capable of being upgraded to the intercooled version very easily.

The non intercooled turbo will make the same amount of power and significantly more torque when compared to the intercooled supercharger.

A shot of nitrous is by no means necessary, that is typically reserved for small cu.in. with realitivly huge turbos, such as hi hp imports or even hi hp 2.3 turbo cars.

The above photo is a shot of a launch at NMRA Bowling Green KY, 9psi intercooled, 3.55 gear. On this pass the car went 12.50@111. The car is full ~ 3600lbs with driver.
The same combo above with 11.5 psi went 11.81@117 At Milan MI.

The system has no noticible "lag", which is a term that should be reserved for centrifigal superchargers, because of the design, centi s/c will not make peak boost until peak rpm, which in turn leaves torque on the table. Torque is what HP is calculated from. A turbo will make boost (if sized correctly) at a low rpm, and carry that exact level through the entire engine operating rpm.

The 4.0 is not a very rpm happy motor, with stock cams it likes to be < 5800rpm, so a low gear and early shifts are a must, most s/c guys will typically run a higher (numerically) gear to alow the s/c to get into it's peak boost faster. These higher rpm will also help shorten the life of a stock motor.

I am sure the debate will ensue, but if anyof you have any questions please feel free to give me a shout.
Old 01-13-2006, 02:38 PM
SPARTAN VI
4th Gear Member

Now let's say we nabbed one of these turbochargers... I know my V6 loves to slide (no TCS), I hit a wide radius going 60mph I can hear my tires screeching. I used to blame it on my new slippery tires, but after 6-7months, I'm still not gripping the road. I know adding a turbocharger will only make this worse, I'll probably never stay on the road! Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining at all. I love sliding around... one of the joys of driving my stang.

What can one do to remedy this problem? I'm afraid the increase in horsepower and torque will turn my fun slip-n-slide ride into a fatal one. Am I exaggerating?
Old 01-13-2006, 03:32 PM
GIDDEUP
2nd Gear Member

The above photo is a shot of a launch at NMRA Bowling Green KY, 9psi intercooled, 3.55 gear. On this pass the car went 12.50@111. The car is full ~ 3600lbs with driver.
The same combo above with 11.5 psi went 11.81@117 At Milan MI.
So your saying, aside from my bad driving, we should be getting 12sec runs with just this turbo and some gears? Nothing else you have done to your test car?
Old 01-13-2006, 03:46 PM
Scrib
1st Gear Member

No swaybar, 90/10 shocks, beefy control arms in the back, bald BFGoodrich Drag Radial's.

Just a guess, though.
Old 01-13-2006, 03:46 PM
TJ
4th Gear Member

Mike I have some questions for you on your turbo.

Could you post or e-mail me some dyno sheets running 7psi, 9psi & 11.5psi so I can look at the them.

Could you post a PDF file or e-mail me one on the installation instructions of your turbo?

What maintenance would be needed while running your turbo?

I have researched on the 4.0 I know about the jackshafts and chains but because your turbo I believe makes peak power under 5300RPM that is a plus for them, but my question is the pistons/head gaskets.

Is it safe to run at 9psi without changing pistons or head gasket?

Is it safe to run 11.5 psi without changing the piston’s or head gasket?

I assuming the reason for no intercooler for 7psi is because it really does not need it or increase HP by much is this correct?

How much HP & TQ will you gain by adding (I am assuming not much) a intercooler when running 7 PSI

Is it a 2 core or 3 core intercooler?

Is there any difference when running your turbo at 9psi vs. running 9 psi from roots,centrifugal supercharger concerning the pistons or bottom end of the engine?

Mike I take it running 331 or 355 gears with your turbo would be better vs. 373 or 410's, for lower ET times is this correct?

Thanks
TJ

tjcj1993@sbcglobal.net
Old 01-13-2006, 04:59 PM
bertkey1
1st Gear Member

well said TJ, i got the same questions

Quick Reply: Powerhouse Turbocharger!