Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

You will love this motor info.

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2006, 07:52 AM
scrming
5th Gear Member

Default RE: You will love this motor info.

ORIGINAL: BlueStang2005

Ok so this wasn't the best option. You cut me way down. That wasn't my propuse. I noticed that the 3.8 was getting 50 to 80 extra horses for $1500 to $2000 counted labor. It looks to me that this isthe second bang for the buck option for our sixes. From what you have posted. Supercharger looks like 3rd option. Plus this strenthens our motors. Makes them SUPER ready for further mods. Most people I talk to are SUPER WORRIED aboaut using NITOUS with any stock motor. No matter what it is. Unless price is no problem. Which most sixers would have a GT if price wasn't a problem. But forgive me I am trying to learn as much as I can right now.

Some one who is trying to learn does not post "You need to upgrade some things if you get a supercharger. Unless you want to blow it up. " That is a statement from someone who thinks they know... and it this case it's from some who read one article and didn't bother to research it any farther... just simply took it as fact without any further validation... which is of course one of the biggest problem with the Internet... anybody can can write anything they want as a "tech article" and some one will believe it gospel...

Now if you were really trying to learn you might have come in here and posted, "hey what do you guys think bout this?"
Old 01-15-2006, 12:13 PM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: scrming

ORIGINAL: BlueStang2005

Ok so this wasn't the best option. You cut me way down. That wasn't my propuse. I noticed that the 3.8 was getting 50 to 80 extra horses for $1500 to $2000 counted labor. It looks to me that this isthe second bang for the buck option for our sixes. From what you have posted. Supercharger looks like 3rd option. Plus this strenthens our motors. Makes them SUPER ready for further mods. Most people I talk to are SUPER WORRIED aboaut using NITOUS with any stock motor. No matter what it is. Unless price is no problem. Which most sixers would have a GT if price wasn't a problem. But forgive me I am trying to learn as much as I can right now.

Some one who is trying to learn does not post "You need to upgrade some things if you get a supercharger. Unless you want to blow it up. " That is a statement from someone who thinks they know... and it this case it's from some who read one article and didn't bother to research it any farther... just simply took it as fact without any further validation... which is of course one of the biggest problem with the Internet... anybody can can write anything they want as a "tech article" and some one will believe it gospel...

Now if you were really trying to learn you might have come in here and posted, "hey what do you guys think bout this?"

Try not to be too hard on him. He sure wouldn't be the first guy to assume that just because something is written out and has pretty illustrations, it must also be true.

Scrming is entirely right tho', there already is enough experience with power adders on the stock v6 to prove that the pessimism in that article is not warranted. I think Shelby being involved using the V6 is one of the most significant points. The man has a rep in the Mustang community like no other. This guy is freakin' worshipped.... Now he's a smart guy. He obviously knew he'd take some heat from the V8 purists by turning his hand to a performance V6 project. Does anyone really think he'd do so without confidence the engine could "take it' when it came to the mods involved?
Old 01-15-2006, 05:39 PM
Pyrat
3rd Gear Member

While details are admittedly sketchy, the Shelby CS6 is reportedly running a Paxton, NOVI-1200 Supercharger with only 6 pounds of boost. Procharger lists three kits for the 4.0L, 7 psi, 9 psi, and an unspecified, "call me" kit. Procharger has some interesting HP gain charts (see below) suggesting a 100% HP gain at around 17psi, but based on their and the Shelby/Paxton information regarding the 4.0L engine, my guess is you are probably approaching the reliability limit at around 9 psi and if you are providing the warranty on a 4.0L supercharged engine, as Shelby/Ford will be, you are probably looking at more like 6 psi which according to Shelby/Paxton is good for about 350 HP (approx 40% HP gain).

Procharger HP Gain Chart Info
7 psi 50-55% HP Gain
9 psi 60-65% HP Gain

From Procharger's FAQ.
Note the highlighted discrepancy from the chart info above which may represent real world vs. theoretical reality

Although some manufacturers claim a specific horsepower increase, superchargers actually add horsepower as a percentage gain (percentage of an atmosphere). Assuming an engine with a compression ratio of around 9:1 running pump gas, if a supercharger gives your engine 14.7 psi of boost (another atmosphere) that will essentially double the output of your engine, everything else being equal. After adjusting for thermal and mechanical energy transfer, if an efficient centrifugal supercharger is generating 7.5 psi (approx. 1/2 an atmosphere), you will see around a 35-40% gain in horsepower and torque at your non-supercharged maximum horsepower rpm. If detonation forces you to use an ignition/timing retard system, you will of course see less of a gain because backing off several degrees of timing will greatly reduce an engine's power output. At higher boost levels, the heat generated by compressing air will produce diminishing returns as the boost is increased, although the use of intercooling or racing fuel can avoid this scenario of diminishing returns. Assuming the use of intercooling to run higher boost levels while maintaining reliability, a 100% increase can generally be achieved at around 17 psi on an engine with 9:1 compression running pump gas. The gains in horsepower and torque delivered by each ProCharger system can be found on the price list as well as on the "ProCharger Systems" page within this site
Old 02-12-2006, 02:09 AM
Trill Gear Head
4th Gear Member

Although the guy who wrote the article sounds a lil sketchy, i would like to know if the Poweradder pack stage 3 would be a smart kit to use to rebulid a 4.0L which should increase it to a 4.3L. On the website it says its for 99-up 3.8L V6 Mustang-up whith gains of about 90 horses. know for my question.

Would this be a good kit to use to rebuild my engine to be positive that it won't explode on my when i get it turbo'd? I mean naturally increasing the hp of the 6banger would be great before adding a power adder. If you don't recommend this kit can u recommend a another kit.