Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Royal Purple Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2006, 03:17 PM
996r916sps
1st Gear Member

Default Royal Purple Oil Change

I completed my oil change in my 2006 Mustang V6 manual last night. After much research I decided on Royal Purple Sunthetics. I have read their catalog and many online reports, and all seemed great, but I was not thinking you would gain horsepower or torque from a oil change. Let me just say, "I was wrong!", way wrong.

I used 5 quarts of the RP 5W30, with a K & N oil filter. $30 RP and $12 KN = $42

I used 3 quarts of RP SynchroMax transmission fluid. $21 RP

Total= $63

The engine seems to rev much easier and quicker, but not sure about horsepower yet. We will see when I get to the dyno next time. The transmission no longer has much noise at all, this fluid change removed about 80% of any drive noise. I am very happy with this product, and would advise anyone thinking of using synthetic oils, to at least check it out.

I plan to change the rear axle fliud next month, with the addtion of 4.10 gears and T-Lok. RP says 3% gain in hp/tq and 5% in mileage, if you use their product in all components.

One thing about this oil, is it doesn't need to be changed every 3000 miles! RP rates it at 12,000 miles with filter changes every 3000 miles. This is all new to me, so I'm going to start out at changing the filter every 3000 miles and the oil every 6000 miles.

My father sent in a sample of his Mobil 1 after 7000 miles, with filter changes every 3000 miles, and they sent him back a complete data sheet on his used oil. They told him the oil was in fine condition, and did not need to be changed at this time. So there is document proof on newer synthetic oils being used for longer durations than standard mineral based oils.

Regular oil change = $29.95 every 3000 miles x 2 = $58.90
RP oil/KN filter change = $42.00 with filter at 6000 miles = $56.00

FYI, I hope this helps!
Old 01-13-2006, 08:30 PM
SwtPnyChick
Lady Luck

Default RE: Royal Purple Oil Change

Wow, thanks 99 this is some great info. I am about to do my first oil change and was in heavy debate on what was best for my car. Now I know what route to take.
Old 01-13-2006, 09:35 PM
noir
2nd Gear Member

You convinced me as well, thank you.
Old 05-18-2006, 06:29 PM
thatstang
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 996r916sps

I completed my oil change in my 2006 Mustang V6 manual last night. After much research I decided on Royal Purple Sunthetics. I have read their catalog and many online reports, and all seemed great, but I was not thinking you would gain horsepower or torque from a oil change. Let me just say, "I was wrong!", way wrong.

I used 5 quarts of the RP 5W30, with a K & N oil filter. $30 RP and $12 KN = $42

I used 3 quarts of RP SynchroMax transmission fluid. $21 RP

Total= $63

The engine seems to rev much easier and quicker, but not sure about horsepower yet. We will see when I get to the dyno next time. The transmission no longer has much noise at all, this fluid change removed about 80% of any drive noise. I am very happy with this product, and would advise anyone thinking of using synthetic oils, to at least check it out.

I plan to change the rear axle fliud next month, with the addtion of 4.10 gears and T-Lok. RP says 3% gain in hp/tq and 5% in mileage, if you use their product in all components.

One thing about this oil, is it doesn't need to be changed every 3000 miles! RP rates it at 12,000 miles with filter changes every 3000 miles. This is all new to me, so I'm going to start out at changing the filter every 3000 miles and the oil every 6000 miles.

My father sent in a sample of his Mobil 1 after 7000 miles, with filter changes every 3000 miles, and they sent him back a complete data sheet on his used oil. They told him the oil was in fine condition, and did not need to be changed at this time. So there is document proof on newer synthetic oils being used for longer durations than standard mineral based oils.

Regular oil change = $29.95 every 3000 miles x 2 = $58.90
RP oil/KN filter change = $42.00 with filter at 6000 miles = $56.00

FYI, I hope this helps!
I just purchase Royal purlpla and trany fluid. How hard was it to get to the filler plug in our manual tranny? Do I need a hand pump to push the fluid in or it it easy to fill from top with long hose?
Old 05-18-2006, 07:01 PM
rmays06
5th Gear Member

I can't wait I'm at about 600 miles and I want at least 1000miles before I change my oil but I have heard so much good about Royal Purple. I'm glad to hear that a person has such high praise for the product. The only info you get is from the company and mags so to hear it from the " horses mouth" makes a huge difference. And ditto how hard is it to get the trans oil plug out?
Old 05-18-2006, 07:15 PM
ricklmesa@cox.net
3rd Gear Member

Some one had there car dyno'd with royal purple and it showed no gain. I can't remember who it was though. I think the quicker revs you got you prolly would have gotten with any good synthetic oil. Been hering alot of hypin about this purple royal stuff up like theres purple weed goin around to smoke LOL. Congrats on how better your car performs though, you can never go wrong with any synthetic.

I was wondering when I get the Procharger installed would it be better to switch to synthetic. I change my oil once a month thats the only problem, well meybe I let it go 5 meybe 6 weeks at the most. There will only be like 700 - 1200 miles on the oil but I don't care. The dealership thinks im crazy!! I can feel the difference in new oil and 5,6 week old oil. Call me weird, call me an **** beed(LOL) call me what ever but the car just seems like it don't like the oil once it gets a minor brownish tint to it. Plus I don't want to buil up any sludge in my motor, I hate letting my oil go till its black. Thats why I don't want synthetic cause it will cost me $60 opposed to $28 a month!!!. Speaking of I need to change my oil now lol
Old 05-18-2006, 07:15 PM
hamidlmt
I ♥ Acer

Last time I was at FAST Specialties, they had a Mustang Dyno sheet showing a 6 hp gain with Royal Purple... looking foward to trying it myself.
Old 05-18-2006, 07:19 PM
ricklmesa@cox.net
3rd Gear Member

Man who was it? he posted a dyno sheet and everthing!! I remember it. Or at least I though I did. LOL
Old 05-18-2006, 07:21 PM
Erdrickk
2nd Gear Member

I heard something about taking a risk on your tranny whenever you change the fluid...am I crazy?
Old 05-18-2006, 07:30 PM
ricklmesa@cox.net
3rd Gear Member

Well my fluids have been changed in the tranny sense the dealership had mine on the floor the first 5,000 miles!! There cant be a risk, that would be like saying your changing your oil in your engine is a risk. LOL that is crazy, were did you hear that from?

Quick Reply: Royal Purple Oil Change