Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Auburn differential vs t-lok

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2006, 04:00 AM
hamidlmt
I ♥ Acer

Default Auburn differential vs t-lok

So, I'm scheduled to have gears and a t-lok installed on Tuesday (dropping the car off Monday). The shop called today and said they just got a good deal on an Auburn differential and wanted to talk to me about installing that instead of the t-lok.

I called back but they were already closed for the weekend.

So, what's an Auburn differential?

How does it compare to the Ford Racing t-lok?

Or the Detroit Tru-Trac?

Do you think they're just trying to dump a part of on me?

How much do the Auburn differentials go for?

I don't know what the price difference will be yet.

Looking for your guidance... is this a better move than the t-lok?!

Many thanks!!

('scuse the crosspost... also posted on TMS.. I just need to make a decision before Monday)
Old 01-15-2006, 01:56 PM
mash2k
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Auburn differential vs t-lok

The Auburn LS diff is slightly different than the T-Lok or the Detroit Trutrack. The torque transfer capability of the Auburn Gear limited-slip differential is achieved through the use of cone clutches coupled to beveled side gears. When torque levels decrease, as in a cornering maneuver, the gear separating forces also decrease, allowing the axle shafts to rotate independently. The T-lok uses clutch plates, and the Detroit is all gear driven. All three will work well. Keep in mind the tangibles; strength and lockup. That Auburn really locks up well.

If I was choosing a limited slip diff for my Mustang, I would go in this order: Detroit, Auburn, T-lok.

It would be great if someone had a manually actuated full locker for the 7.5. I think you can get one for the 8.8. Talk about off the line traction!

What I like about the T-lok is that it is a FACTORY part. If installed by the dealer then warranty never becomes an issue. I also understand that some members care little about warranty and mod away. I wish I could do that!
Old 01-15-2006, 02:26 PM
scrming
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mash2k

The Auburn LS diff is slightly different than the T-Lok or the Detroit Trutrack. The torque transfer capability of the Auburn Gear limited-slip differential is achieved through the use of cone clutches coupled to beveled side gears. When torque levels decrease, as in a cornering maneuver, the gear separating forces also decrease, allowing the axle shafts to rotate independently. The T-lok uses clutch plates, and the Detroit is all gear driven. All three will work well. Keep in mind the tangibles; strength and lockup. That Auburn really locks up well.

If I was choosing a limited slip diff for my Mustang, I would go in this order: Detroit, Auburn, T-lok.

It would be great if someone had a manually actuated full locker for the 7.5. I think you can get one for the 8.8. Talk about off the line traction!

What I like about the T-lok is that it is a FACTORY part. If installed by the dealer then warranty never becomes an issue. I also understand that some members care little about warranty and mod away. I wish I could do that!
Don't be so sure about that Track-Lock warranty... look closely at this:

Ford Racing Parts
Old 01-15-2006, 04:40 PM
mash2k
2nd Gear Member

Good reference and point. I wonder if he was to have his dealer install the part through the service counter if his warranty would still be considered the same as when he purchased the Mustang. You never know with stealerships, though.
Old 01-16-2006, 02:39 AM
hamidlmt
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: mash2k

Mash.. thanks for the info. I'll talk to my installer tomorrow morning and decide what to do from there.