MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   V6 S197 General Discussion (https://mustangforums.com/forum/v6-s197-general-discussion-48/)
-   -   Question about ZEX install and Tuning? (https://mustangforums.com/forum/v6-s197-general-discussion/88549-question-about-zex-install-and-tuning.html)

MHShockey30 01-17-2006 04:44 PM

Question about ZEX install and Tuning?

I just talked to the shop im taking my car to so they can install my zex nitrous. They said they would not be able to tune my car, but they would put it on the dyno. Is it necessary to have a tune for 75hp jets? Or should I send my X-Cal 2 back to brenspeed and have them make me new tunes?

Jimp 01-17-2006 07:00 PM

RE: Question about ZEX install and Tuning?

I'm running a 75 shot without a tune. I just use an 87 octane tune with 93 octane gas. I'm sure it would be better with a tune though. Did the shop say why they couldn't do a tune?

MHShockey30 01-17-2006 07:16 PM

What if I have a 93 octane tune and use 93 octane fuel, that would work fine right? I called and they said the they couldnt make custome tunes for my car, dont know why. But he said they could put it on the dyno and I guess make the changes as needed according to the dyno.

Jimp 01-17-2006 07:29 PM

ORIGINAL: MHShockey30

What if I have a 93 octane tune and use 93 octane fuel, that would work fine right? I called and they said the they couldnt make custome tunes for my car, dont know why. But he said they could put it on the dyno and I guess make the changes as needed according to the dyno.
You need to retard the timing 2 degrees for a 75 shot. With 93 octane gas you would want to run stock timing to be on the safe side. Didn't you get 3 tunes with your SCT-2?

scrming 01-17-2006 07:43 PM

According to Zex...

For 75HP shot you should have the stock timing and use 91+ octane gas. Based on what I've seen an 87 Octane tune is probably very close to stock timing which is why Jimp can get away with it. Just need to make sure your running 91+ gas...

For 100HP you need to have stock timing and then -2 degrees globally... and 91+ octane...

If you have a 87 Octane tune you could try that with 91+ gas... just the shop check your A/F and listen for any little sign of detonation..

Jimp 01-17-2006 08:14 PM

ORIGINAL: scrming

According to Zex...

For 75HP shot you should have the stock timing and use 91+ octane gas. Based on what I've seen an 87 Octane tune is probably very close to stock timing which is why Jimp can get away with it. Just need to make sure your running 91+ gas...

For 100HP you need to have stock timing and then -2 degrees globally... and 91+ octane...

If you have a 87 Octane tune you could try that with 91+ gas... just the shop check your A/F and listen for any little sign of detonation..

Hey do you know if Lidio had to make a big adjustment besides timing for your nitrous tunes?

MHShockey30 01-17-2006 09:23 PM

So should I have my stock settings when I take the car in, or just keep it the way I have it with the 87 octane tune. Does it make a difference? Thanks for the help.

Jimp 01-17-2006 09:46 PM

So should I have my stock settings when I take the car in, or just keep it the way I have it with the 87 octane tune. Does it make a difference? Thanks for the help.
You'd want to use the 87 octane tune with 93 octane gas, like I said originally.

MHShockey30 01-17-2006 10:33 PM

Ok, thanks.

rygenstormlocke 01-17-2006 10:51 PM

Ok, thanks.
Did the shop give you any other details on why they couldn't tune the car? I mean, it's not a difficult install and tune, and personally I would prefer the shop that does the install to go ahead with a proper tuen.

What did they have to say? I'm just curious, because I did run into shops that are wary of the new 6, as much as I hate to say it.

Let us know. I'm sure you will love it once you have it working. :)