MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   V6 S197 General Discussion (https://mustangforums.com/forum/v6-s197-general-discussion-48/)
-   -   grill replacement (https://mustangforums.com/forum/v6-s197-general-discussion/89602-grill-replacement.html)

mustangrnnr 01-21-2006 03:04 PM

grill replacement

has anybody used this grill on their V6 mustang it says its modified to fit but i just want to know what others think
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2005-...QQcmdZViewItem

05 Cayuse 01-21-2006 06:25 PM

RE: grill replacement

I tried a similar GT-to-V6 grille swap out product, and they're marginal at best. The GT grille no matter how you slice it is too big for the V6 bumper cover. With the kit you've noted you are going to have to make relief cuts in your bumper cover. And, it's never going to look quite perfect. I ended up swaping out to a 06 "pony package" grille to get fog lights which is a direct fit. If you want the GT look go on Ebay to Mike's site Cascotech. He's selling the GT bumper (the color of your car) with grille for around $375. Then it will look stock. You will still need to order the wiring kit from someone like Charlie at West coast performance parts for about $150. Good luck either way you go.

gabeh1018 01-21-2006 09:21 PM

yea DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT!!!! spend $375 on that grille swap.... the reason why.. i was one of the unfortunate who purchased mine from Charlie at west coast... and it basically does not just slide right in and it is not worth cutting up or screwing or whatever (its a pain in the ass ) and to be honest it doesn't look quite right. Mike from Casco basically sells the entire kit for $550 on ebay... the gt front and rear bumpers with the fogs, the rocker panels, gt mufflers, etc. comes factory painted for your car. The shipping is freight so its around $150... but spend that extra $200 dollars for Casco's and you have got yourself one helluva deal and you will be much happier.... i guarantee.....

Jimp 01-21-2006 11:12 PM

ORIGINAL: mustangrnnr

has anybody used this grill on their V6 mustang it says its modified to fit but i just want to know what others think
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2005-...QQcmdZViewItem
I have that one and love it. I don't remember it costing that much though. It looks pretty good I think, I included a pic so you can see. It was a bit scary cutting the bumper at first, but where you have to cut will never be seen. I say go for it, or get the GT take off bumper and grill from CascoTech, also on Ebay.

[IMG]local://upfiles/17757/E2089D9A2EFF4C25867267590F44C2BC.jpg[/IMG]

GT05 01-21-2006 11:40 PM

I knew it! I knew it!! We were talking about this poser **** in another Forum. They said no one did it, but this is proof!! WTF are you guys thinking!? You're giving GT's a bad name. Someone races you and sees how slow you are... next thing you know, you have a dual exhaust that sounds like **** and the GT rear bumper. You guys are a disgrace. You're no better than a Honda Civic owner with "Type R" stickers everywhere and a "DUAL" exhaust!!! HAHA
$374 - you're well on your way to spending the extra $6,000 for the GT.
If you're a V6 owner not into being a poser, let me give you some advice. As far as the exhaust is concerned: Run 3" piping from the cat back to a nice magnaflow muffler. <-- should sound goood.
P.S. Maybe if you angle the headlight supports you'll look like a Shelby!!!!!! OMFG!!!! That sounds so gooood!! I'm going to do it right now!! Wait, maybe I should sell my GT's grill and foglights to a V6 owner first. HAHA

Jimp 01-22-2006 12:13 AM

ORIGINAL: GT05

I knew it! I knew it!! We were talking about this poser **** in another Forum. They said no one did it, but this is proof!! WTF are you guys thinking!? You're giving GT's a bad name. Someone races you and sees how slow you are... next thing you know, you have a dual exhaust that sounds like **** and the GT rear bumper. You guys are a disgrace. You're no better than a Honda Civic owner with "Type R" stickers everywhere and a "DUAL" exhaust!!! HAHA
If you're a V6 owner not into being a poser, let me give you some advice. As far as the exhaust is concerned: Run 3" piping from the cat back to a nice magnaflow muffler. <-- should sound goood.
P.S. Maybe if you angle the headlight supports you'll look like a Shelby!!!!!! OMFG!!!! That sounds so gooood!! I'm going to do it right now!! Wait, maybe I should sell my GT's grill and foglights to a V6 owner first. HAHA
No, you're giving GTs a bad name. Some peoplem like the GT fogs, what's the big deal? You sound very insecure. You might want to talk to someone about that.

rygenstormlocke 01-22-2006 12:40 AM

ORIGINAL: Jimp

ORIGINAL: GT05

No, you're giving GTs a bad name. Some peoplem like the GT fogs, what's the big deal? You sound very insecure. You might want to talk to someone about that.
I put up a few posts about him. He just created his account, recently got a GT after having the 6 and has been trolling all over the forums. Even tried to get some of the members in the GT forums fired up about the 6's.

Oh, and get this, he just mentioned in another thread what poor quality his GT is and talking how great his accord is. Just ignore him.

05 Cayuse 01-22-2006 04:28 AM

Whew! and for a moment I thought he was one of us! And by that I mean a mustang fan that wants to mod out his car to suit his own tastes. Don't worry bud, I don't want to give you (a GT owner) a bad name. Your doing a fine job on your own.:D

burdweiser 01-22-2006 01:53 PM

I got the grille replacment from West Coast as well and now I wish I would have gotten my stuff from Casco. It is really hard to put the replacment grille in the V6 (like putting a square peg in a round hole). This guy GT05 has some issue! What's wrong with wanting fog lights? My car still says V6, what's the problem?

0to60 01-22-2006 08:29 PM

Hey guys,

Here's my experience so far:

I purchased the West Coast Performance Parts conversion kit from Charlie on ebay about two months ago. Saturday morning I was out in the driveway, tools in hand -- couldn't wait to get the new grill installed!

Three hours later, the grill still wouldn't go in. I didn't want to force anything, so I packed everything back up and called my local mechanic. He was finally able to see me a couple weeks back. After looking at Charlie's video, he sized up the car, and thought he could take care of it no problem. I brought the car back a few days later with the kit and left everything there overnight (so it could warm up inside to make the materials more pliable).

The next morning, I got a call I did not want to hear. "Yeah... there's no way this grill is gonna fit into your bumper cover. Maybe if you lived out in sunny California you could wait for a hot day, but here in New England it's not gonna happen."

Well, why not try to work around it, right? Next plan was to make some custom brackets for the grill. My guy thought it over for a weekend, and then gave the final death knell: "No matter how we do it, putting this grill into this too-small space will cause problems; if not now, then certainly down the road."

So, here I am, stuck with a grill that won't fit. I've emailed Charlie -- who, to his credit, has never previously given me any reason to doubt either his veracity or his commitment to customer service -- but gotten no response. Does anyone know the status of his business right now? His web site looks up and running, but his ebay account has been deactivated.

If I can't return the WCPP kit, here's the new plan: the fog lights, wiring harness, and dash switch are all fine -- it's just the grill that doesn't fit -- so I'm considering buying the Street Scene grill (which they claim to be an exact fit), putting the fogs in that, and installing the wiring/switch according to Charlie's original instructions.

Do you think this will work? Any better options?

I found the Street Scene grill from EasternMustang.com for $344.95. Does anyone know of a better price? Here's the link: http://easternmustang.com/store/prod...oducts_id/1689

Oh, one more thing. The Street Scene grill looks great except that I really miss the classic pony in the middle. Could I just cut mine off the factory grille and somehow attach it to the SSE one? Has anyone done this? Or maybe get a tri-bar pony emblem and stick that on for a nice retro look?

Any close-up pics of the Street Scene Grill would be awesome.

Thanks,
Tim