Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

GT vs V6

Old 01-21-2006, 05:45 PM
Frank Bullitt
1st Gear Member

Default GT vs V6

Which seems to be the most reliable as far as repairs go - the V6 or the GT ? I am interested the 5-speed manual in either one. Would probably do no modifications to the GT, but would probably put at least duals and maybe an intake and a tune on the V6, maybe gears too. I dont like taking cars into the dealer at all, my 1999 Ranger with 3.0 V6 just hit 151,000 miles and has never been in to the dealer or for any repair anywhere. This ranger still has the original brakes, I dont stop often on the interstate. I do all my own maintenance and can do most repairs on vehicles as well.

Also, if driven on highway without a lead foot what kind of difference in mileage would you expect between the two with stock gears on the V6. I drive about 90 mile round trip commute mostly interstate highway at about 70-85 mph.

Would the JBA h-pipe duals help with gas mileage at all ? What kind of mileage are you guys getting on the highway when you are not using a heavy foot ?

In 5 years the car could become my son's first car. What kind of a difference in insurance prices could I expect between the V6 and the GT ? Especially I would think the GT insurance would be high for a 16 year old boy.
Old 01-21-2006, 05:58 PM
chrisc
5th Gear Member

Default RE: GT vs V6

it really depends what you will be looking for because i think that they are both very reliable
if you want power, needless to say go with the gt, because unless you do something drasic to a v6 you will not come close to that power ever
however, with this being your son's first car, most people here would probably say go for the v6 (unless you ask the hardcore mucle heads to practially live on the track), this is pretty much for the two reasons: insurance and responsibility

insurance will always be high on these types of cars, i am 17 and my insurance on my v6 is a lot already, much much more than if i were to get something like a focus or something (on an average about triple than what my friends are paying)
also, responsibility and testosterone are a big issue when it comes to this car, and are the reasons why i dont have a gt myself (lol). i can consider myself as a pretty responsible teenager (never skipped class, have a good 3.8 gpa, addmited into university already) but i know that if i had a gt in my hands, i would probably race a bunch of racers who would want to "take me"

anyways, thats just my .02
hope it helps
Old 01-21-2006, 06:29 PM
05 Cayuse
2nd Gear Member

All good points! I agree that if you plan to hand down the car to your son go with the V6. With some minor mods (CAI, tune & dual exhaust), I find my V6 more than acceptable from a performance standpoint.
Old 01-21-2006, 06:43 PM
hamidlmt
I ♥ Acer

Would ya really trust your 16 year old son with 300 hp under his right foot? I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be alive today if I had that sort of power at that age!

As said before, the 4.0L has plenty of power and really opens up with a few basic mods (intake, tune and exhaust). Mileage will be 2 or 3 mpg better, even more so if most of your driving are highway miles. The jba duals may increase mileage by maybe 1 mpg. Insurance will be cheaper, especially when you pass it on to your son.
Old 01-21-2006, 07:15 PM
Frank Bullitt
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: hamidlmt

Would ya really trust your 16 year old son with 300 hp under his right foot? I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be alive today if I had that sort of power at that age!

As said before, the 4.0L has plenty of power and really opens up with a few basic mods (intake, tune and exhaust). Mileage will be 2 or 3 mpg better, even more so if most of your driving are highway miles. The jba duals may increase mileage by maybe 1 mpg. Insurance will be cheaper, especially when you pass it on to your son.
I know what you are saying. Back in the 70's when I was in High School I had a 1966 Candy Apple Red 1966 K Code 289, 4-speed fastback. Which I blew the engine in - dropped a valve at very high RPM into the cylinder, broke the cylinder wall and antifreeze went every where causing the rods to bend. Then I built a few different 302's that were well over 300 horsepower, probably close to 350 horse. Very experienced in pulling motors out of old mustangs and broncos, swapping cams, heads, intake manifolds, carbs, third members for gear changes, etc. Friends had cars like 340 six pack Cuda's, 428 Cobra Jets, 351 Windsor stuffed under the hood of a 65 convertible mustang, Hemi Road Runners, etc. The guy with the 351 once broke the camshaft, front of the motors valve train worked, back didnt. All of us came close to death many times. We didnt do any dyno testing, but the test was in how well your car did against the competition on the street.

Today, with the more dense population and crowded roads, drag racing on the street would certainly be even more dangerous than back when I was a kid. On the other hand these new cars handle much better, better built in safety. Bottom line is that the best thing to do is take it to the drag strip. Bandimere here in Colorado is where we used to go back then. I assume they are still open, and that would be the best place for my boy to go if he wants to race.

I kind of want a red GT mustang, would be sort of like taking me back to my youth. I do like the sound of V8 with good cam and headers at idle.

Common sense says the V6 is fine, and is probably better option for a lot of reasons, including as a first car for my son who does love mustangs and shelby cobras.

Just trying to get as much information to make the decision.

Thanks for responses and please share any information on gas mileage, insurance, mechanical problems etc.
Old 01-21-2006, 08:35 PM
hamidlmt
I ♥ Acer

Frank... ya really can't go wrong with any decision you make! btw... My first in high school was a candy apple red 68 Mustang coupe. But, you're right... the world is a very different place these days and at 16, most of your son's friends will be driving Civics and such.

But, ya know... there's nothing like recapturing that feeling from youth and I know the GT would do that for you! And, I also know you'll teach your son how to handle a car like this... probably even go to the track with him! You'll both love it and always have that bond.

I've had no mechanical problem with my V6, aside from the usual little rattles here and there. Except for the Shaker 500 stereo... second one in and it still skips and cuts off the end of tracks.

Gas mileage for me...mostly city driving with short jaunts on the interstate... around 20 mpg... down to 18 in the winter (they change the gas around here). I just threw on gears and can't tell how much they'll affect mileage.

With the GT, insurance would have been $80 more/month for me with USAA and a clean driving record. You can always call up your insurance company and ask for a quote.

Good luck! Let us know what you decide!
Old 01-21-2006, 09:28 PM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: hamidlmt

Frank... ya really can't go wrong with any decision you make! btw... My first in high school was a candy apple red 68 Mustang coupe. But, you're right... the world is a very different place these days and at 16, most of your son's friends will be driving Civics and such.

But, ya know... there's nothing like recapturing that feeling from youth and I know the GT would do that for you! And, I also know you'll teach your son how to handle a car like this... probably even go to the track with him! You'll both love it and always have that bond.

I've had no mechanical problem with my V6, aside from the usual little rattles here and there. Except for the Shaker 500 stereo... second one in and it still skips and cuts off the end of tracks.

Gas mileage for me...mostly city driving with short jaunts on the interstate... around 20 mpg... down to 18 in the winter (they change the gas around here). I just threw on gears and can't tell how much they'll affect mileage.

With the GT, insurance would have been $80 more/month for me with USAA and a clean driving record. You can always call up your insurance company and ask for a quote.

Good luck! Let us know what you decide!
Yep, insurance was it for me. I have USAA as well and it was going to be 100 more a month. Besides if you are gonna give it to your son, I would get the 6. The GT would get him in some trouble. Even the 6 is a bit much for a teenager. My son is 11 and he thinks he is getting the stang, no WAY! At least not with these mods, maybe if I put it back to stock. LOL.
Old 01-21-2006, 10:25 PM
chrisc
5th Gear Member

come to think of it, if it will be your son's car in about 5 years, you will not have that much of an issurance issue on your hands because it will not be new
Old 01-24-2006, 07:43 PM
GT05

Between my Accord and the GT, I'm paying $505 a month. Just to give you an idea, the Accord is $217, so you figure out the rest. As far as gas mileage, the GT does best at around 75mph. I have a 44 mile round trip commute, and I average 260 miles per tank, and thats with mostly highway driving. I seriously didn't own the V6 long enough to know what kind of gas mileage it gets, but as far as power, there is no comparison (ok, maybe between a CRX and a Gallardo). It's funny when there's a Honda Civic next to you and they hear your exhaust (and they think you're trying hard), but the exhuast leans out and all you hear is motor; it flies. Go with the GT (it's worth the extra money), give your son a 4 banger (carmy, civic, cobalt, etc)

Post above me ^^: If your done making payments on your car, it will make a slight diffence in 5 years, but still; 16 y.o. + 4.6L + "Mustang" = $$$
I wanted a 1987 Toyota Supra for my first car (it was 16 years old when I wanted it) and the insurance was about $300 a month compared to my Accord at $217 a month.
Old 01-24-2006, 07:49 PM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

My son is 11, and when he is old enough to drive he will get a 4 door sedan. Every now and then, you can find a teenager that respects the power in a sports car, but 9 times out of 10 they don't and get into trouble. It's not the top end HP that gets them in trouble, its the 300 TQ that does. But to each his own, it's up to you. I've driven the GT when I test drove my 6, and yes, it is night and day difference.

Search this Thread