Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

heard mufflers aren't necessary?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2006, 05:10 AM
angryterry26

Default heard mufflers aren't necessary?

I am new to these forums, but have been reading up on things alot here. One thing that I have been told by many people is that mufflers are not needed. I want to run a dual exhaust on my 05 v6 and be able to get the most power out of it while balancing a good sound. I was told that with dual cats from the headers you can bypass the mufflers, still pass smog, and get a pretty good sound out of it. I haven't seen any posts on that sort of thing so before I make the decision I would appreciate a little clarity on the subject. ps-is a tlok hard to install or should i just have someone put it on for me?
Thanx much
Old 01-24-2006, 07:33 AM
scrming
5th Gear Member

Default RE: heard mufflers aren't necessary?

ORIGINAL: angryterry26

I am new to these forums, but have been reading up on things alot here. One thing that I have been told by many people is that mufflers are not needed. I want to run a dual exhaust on my 05 v6 and be able to get the most power out of it while balancing a good sound. I was told that with dual cats from the headers you can bypass the mufflers, still pass smog, and get a pretty good sound out of it. I haven't seen any posts on that sort of thing so before I make the decision I would appreciate a little clarity on the subject. ps-is a tlok hard to install or should i just have someone put it on for me?
Thanx much
Take a look at this thread i started elsewhere... http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index.php?showtopic=43000

Also if you have to ask then I would recommend a good shop install your t-lock
Old 01-25-2006, 01:11 PM
Professor Wizard
MF Moderator

In Missouri and Illinois Mufflers ARE nessessary.... both states have laws obout how loud your car can be. In Missouri's case it is worse because their law simply states "Modified Exhaust" or any exhaust that is NOT Mfg Spec will get you a ticket.

I would imagine most states have such laws.

I also believe - yes.. in most cases you can pass inspections and will be able to get your plates... but your going to be paying out the wazzoo in fines every time a cop pulls you over for the noise!
Old 01-25-2006, 03:13 PM
RedAlertlb
3rd Gear Member

well when i had my muffler off of my car when it still had the single pipe it wasnt that loud at all... just really raspy
Old 01-25-2006, 03:16 PM
RedAlertlb
3rd Gear Member

i have actually been thinking about getting my magnaflow mufflers cut out. it was one of my buddies ideas i just dont know if it would sound good or not.
Old 01-25-2006, 03:21 PM
Hambone
2nd Gear Member

Well, get the driver's side GT pipe, an X or H pipe, and a set of SLP Loudmouth pipes and let us know how it sounds We've been wanting sound clips of that setup anyhow..hehe.
Old 01-25-2006, 03:25 PM
RedAlertlb
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Hambone

Well, get the driver's side GT pipe, an X or H pipe, and a set of SLP Loudmouth pipes and let us know how it sounds We've been wanting sound clips of that setup anyhow..hehe.
are these expensive? i actually thought about that too..because slp loudmouths are mufflers right?
Old 01-25-2006, 04:48 PM
Traken
2nd Gear Member

That's actually what I'm planning to do, an H with SLP's. Won't be till spring, though. =/
Old 01-25-2006, 05:12 PM
Hambone
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: RedAlertlb

are these expensive? i actually thought about that too..because slp loudmouths are mufflers right?
Hi Red,

Well---they are more like tips than mufflers!! They fill the space of the GT mufllers (an axle back design, same hangers, etc.). I don't think they are cheap...
http://mustangtuning.com/axexlmo20mug.html $315.

They sound great--and LOUD--on a GT. Lots of us curious how they'd sound on a V6...

Old 01-25-2006, 05:14 PM
Hambone
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Traken

That's actually what I'm planning to do, an H with SLP's. Won't be till spring, though. =/
It's like spring here in NC, does that count? 54 deg right now, sunny, and the daffodills are already abou 5" out of the ground!!

Quick Reply: heard mufflers aren't necessary?