Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Quick Question: Launching

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2006, 04:28 PM
SPARTAN VI
4th Gear Member

Default Quick Question: Launching

Really quick, I have 05 V6 automatic tranny.

I'm not so sure if I'm using the correct terminology, but I'll call it "charging my breaks". When launching, is it safe to hold down the break and charge the gas at the same time? I've noticed I can get a pretty decent launch at 4K [retracted claim] RPMs with minimal wheel spin, but am I effectively damaging or promoting damage/wear to my vehicle? If so, what should one do differently?

Yes I'm le nub.
Old 01-27-2006, 04:38 PM
WindVeil05DropTop
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Quick Question: Launching

I believe it's just called power braking. I don't think it's too bad for your car, but not positive. It's definitely the correct way to launch your auto, much better than a neutral drop, which is where you rev up the engine in neutral and drop it into drive. Definitely don't want to do that in an auto. Hope this helps.
-Dave
Old 01-27-2006, 05:09 PM
SPARTAN VI
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: WindVeil05DropTop

I believe it's just called power braking. I don't think it's too bad for your car, but not positive. It's definitely the correct way to launch your auto, much better than a neutral drop, which is where you rev up the engine in neutral and drop it into drive. Definitely don't want to do that in an auto. Hope this helps.
-Dave
Ok, phew. Thanks for your input!

Friend of mine, which probably knows just as much as me about cars (almost nothing) swears up and down that [what I will now call] Power Breaking is "bad for my breaks."

I figured manual transmissions could rev with their foot on the clutch and release when they launch- much like when breaking, instead of shifting to N, one could just hold onto the clutch and let go to get back into gear. Doesn't work this way I assume? I've only drove a manual transmission twice; test drove a used 2005 GT, did fine until I drove onto a hill... and again when I drove my gf's 2002 Si.
Old 01-27-2006, 05:13 PM
RedAlertlb
3rd Gear Member

YOU CAN GET YOUR CAR TO 4K WITHOUT SPINNING....OMG i can barely make it to 2k before i start a burnout.....thats crazy.
Old 01-27-2006, 05:27 PM
CainMotorsports2102
3rd Gear Member

4k...for me thats about where the torque converter engages which kills my launch. I like to launch about 2500. thats just me though
Old 01-27-2006, 05:41 PM
SPARTAN VI
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: CainMotorsports2102

4k...for me thats about where the torque converter engages which kills my launch. I like to launch about 2500. thats just me though
I hear 2K is the Gspot for lauching, but whenenever I tried to launch at 2K.. it didn't feel right. It's a sudden leap forward, yes, but it feels too weak. I think I'm just intentionally trying to burn out, not to mention the roads I'm doing this on were JUST repaved, like yesterday.
Old 01-27-2006, 05:59 PM
stangman53
1st Gear Member

Spartan for under 1k you can launch like a bat outta hell just get an axleback exhaust cai and a tuner and your set to fly and thats just the beginning. The trannies are dead on these cars it's like following a buick.
Old 01-27-2006, 08:09 PM
SPARTAN VI
4th Gear Member

I'm gonna have to retract my 4K launch claim, I was playing completely off memory.. jumped in my car after work and immediately saw 4k is way too high, it's closer to 2000-2500. Tried it again on the street in my neighborhood, no way in hell will it take off at 4k and burned plenty of rubber at 2.5K.
Old 01-27-2006, 09:57 PM
lmmmmm
2nd Gear Member

Im assuming you are disengaging Traction Control?

Also, it's spelled brakes not breaks, crazy homonyms.
Old 01-28-2006, 12:15 AM
will_c
3rd Gear Member

Spartan, wearing out your breaks is the least of your concerns if something goes wrong. Power braking every once in a while may not be drastically bad, but doing it even once every two months could be bad. it CAN also break drive train parts; leaf
springs, axels, etc
and that would be expensive as **** to fix. Basically, power braking is a good way to break the rear end out of your car.

will

Quick Reply: Quick Question: Launching