Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

GT Take off exhaust question

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2006, 10:19 PM
Tres Wright
4th Gear Member

Default RE: GT Take off exhaust question

I have dual GTs on mine and LOVE the way it looks. I like the V6 lower fascia/ GT tailpipes a lot more than the GTs in fact.

As a sidebar, I took mine in to get the oil changed Friday. The guy drove it around the building and said "I thought this was a V6 until I started it, then I knew it was a V8! It sounds great!" I'm not trying to fool anyone, I went ahead and told him "Thanks, but it IS a V6!" He didn't believe me! LOL!
Old 01-29-2006, 11:52 PM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Tres Wright

I have dual GTs on mine and LOVE the way it looks. I like the V6 lower fascia/ GT tailpipes a lot more than the GTs in fact.

As a sidebar, I took mine in to get the oil changed Friday. The guy drove it around the building and said "I thought this was a V6 until I started it, then I knew it was a V8! It sounds great!" I'm not trying to fool anyone, I went ahead and told him "Thanks, but it IS a V6!" He didn't believe me! LOL!
I agree, hind sight 20/20 duals look way better with the V6 bumper, you can see mroe of the tips! Just looks more mean.
Old 01-30-2006, 12:11 AM
vistapony
2nd Gear Member

Well OK....now that i've had the weekend to drive around with it, I have to say it's growing on me seeing it stick out like it does. I also can't stop grinning from the sound difference between the GT and the V6 stock exhaust. I'm already itching for more after just two days and after reading Screamings write up of his new Aero......I hate to say it but i'm hooked and i can't help it! It just is so damn addictive! Thanks for all the support and the drive to get me caught up in the buzz....i'm LOVING IT!
Old 01-30-2006, 09:02 PM
Tres Wright
4th Gear Member

==I agree, hind sight 20/20 duals look way better with the V6 bumper, you can see mroe of the tips! Just looks more mean. ==

Ditto, it reminds me of the old days where you gauged a car's "cajones" by how big the pipes were that stuck out of the back

==Well OK....now that i've had the weekend to drive around with it, I have to say it's growing on me seeing it stick out like it does. I also can't stop grinning from the sound difference between the GT and the V6 stock exhaust.==

The sound difference is really amazing even with the single GT muffler (I did the single conversion on mine first before going with the duals). The stock V6 muffler doesn't let a whole lot of sound through, the GT mufflers are just right. It growls when you want it to and purrs when you're just cruising

BTW, if any of you guys are going the dual GT muffler route I posted a little how-to on cutting the valance some time ago here:

https://mustangforums.com/m_555524/tm.htm
Old 01-30-2006, 09:04 PM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Tres Wright

==I agree, hind sight 20/20 duals look way better with the V6 bumper, you can see mroe of the tips! Just looks more mean. ==

Ditto, it reminds me of the old days where you gauged a car's "cajones" by how big the pipes were that stuck out of the back

==Well OK....now that i've had the weekend to drive around with it, I have to say it's growing on me seeing it stick out like it does. I also can't stop grinning from the sound difference between the GT and the V6 stock exhaust.==

The sound difference is really amazing even with the single GT muffler (I did the single conversion on mine first before going with the duals). The stock V6 muffler doesn't let a whole lot of sound through, the GT mufflers are just right. It growls when you want it to and purrs when you're just cruising

BTW, if any of you guys are going the dual GT muffler route I posted a little how-to on cutting the valance some time ago here:

https://mustangforums.com/m_555524/tm.htm
This should be a sticky!!!!
Old 02-07-2006, 11:31 PM
gregbe1
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: vistapony

Ok, so I just finished washing up after installing a GT take off on my 4.0. (Had to do it at night to avoid the wife's "what the hell is wrong with the one that's on it" lecture) So has anyone else installed the GT take off? It sounds fantastic, but i'm just not sure of the look. The tip seems like it sticks out too far. Does anyoen elses seem like they stick out too far and what do you think of that look?

06 Vista Blue, IUP, Pony Package, GT Take Off
mine stuck out as well, took it to a buddys shop, he used a sawzall to cut the tip off and then we installed a MRT chrome tip on

[IMG]local://upfiles/26246/AC8E390DFE344390924A6F42C3E1E515.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/26246/8BD4747C017B4727A5C3BFC43486B9F2.jpg[/IMG]
Old 03-02-2006, 02:29 PM
jbradford

I know I am jumping in kind of late to this thread. But I was wondering if anyone has tried the Corsa H pipe? (http://www.corsaperf.com/mustang.htm) I could use the existing right pipe and add in a stock GT Left pipe and brackets. Pop on a set of GT muflers and add the GT rear bumper cover. That would keep the whole thing made of stainless steel. It sure looks like it would fit cleanly. Hope somene has tried it.
Old 03-03-2006, 02:06 PM
ejnordstrom

Don't have any info on the Corsa H pipe. My shop just installed a basic H pipe they cut when they installed my dual GT mufflers. They used the existing OEM right side pipe and bent a new pipe for the left side. They reused the OEM hangers and then added a couple of their own to get it nice and solid.
On the GT bumper cover, unless you want the look of a GT from the rear, just notch the rear bumper. I did it and it looks great. Takes a little effort to make a template but once that is done the worst is over. Here are some pictures. By the way I converted my V6 to dual GT mufflers and they look and sound great. The shop that installed the GT mufflers had no problems. The tailpipe extends about 2-3 inches past the bumber and the SS pipe looks fantastic.

[IMG]local://upfiles/25558/BFE342CEC0C34A84A69A6B363A7DAE4B.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/25558/17A96C84973A43239E0F8DFF00F85401.jpg[/IMG]
Old 03-04-2006, 11:43 PM
TNT1968
2nd Gear Member

Does the computer need a reflash when the GT mufflers are installed on the V6 cars?
Old 03-04-2006, 11:51 PM
vistapony
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: TNT1968

Does the computer need a reflash when the GT mufflers are installed on the V6 cars?
no they don't