Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

What should I do ???

Old 02-05-2006, 04:23 PM
Frank Bullitt
1st Gear Member

Default What should I do ???

Pretty much decided that if I decide to get a mustang, it will be the V6, with a 5-speed rather than a GT.

For me, I see two ways to go.

First a well equipped car with the Pony Package, leather seats, side air bags, I found one equipped like this with MSRP of 23,540. I would then plan on modifying the exhaust, intake and tune. Since I would be paying for the traction control on the Pony, I would have a harder time justifying new gears to myself.

Second way to go might be to get a very basic car. I found one like this for MSRP of 19810. Then on this car I would install bullitt wheels, exhaust, intake, tune, rear sway bars and maybe 3.73 gears with limited slip. Are there 16" bullet wheels available in the aftermarket, and how much ? Also my wife likes the Pony badges, is there someplace to get these and how much ? I see the shorter 16" wheels as an advantage for gearing. A question here, are the 17" wheels/tires on the pony actually taller than the 16" wheels/tires on the non-pony V6 ? Or is the tire on the 17" wheels a lower profile ?

Also, I should have looked on the Pony to see if there was a rear sway bar. I have heard that the Pony Package includes the GT sway bars front and rear. But the brochure the dealer gave me doesnt say anything about sway bars on the Pony. Does the pony have the GT sway bars, front and rear ?

Also the dealer does not seem to want to go much below MSRP, on the Pony the MSRP is 23540 and the salesman said they could take 540 off giving 23000. On the basic model the MSRP is 19810 with 200 off, giving 19610. On both cars there is also a dealer handling fee of 500 and of course taxes.

Is this about right, or too high ? This is in Colorado front range.

Old 02-05-2006, 04:27 PM
scrming
5th Gear Member

Default RE: What should I do ???

ORIGINAL: Frank Bullitt

Pretty much decided that if I decide to get a mustang, it will be the V6, with a 5-speed rather than a GT.

For me, I see two ways to go.

First a well equipped car with the Pony Package, leather seats, side air bags, I found one equipped like this with MSRP of 23,540. I would then plan on modifying the exhaust, intake and tune. Since I would be paying for the traction control on the Pony, I would have a harder time justifying new gears to myself.

Second way to go might be to get a very basic car. I found one like this for MSRP of 19810. Then on this car I would install bullitt wheels, exhaust, intake, tune, rear sway bars and maybe 3.73 gears with limited slip. Are there 16" bullet wheels available in the aftermarket, and how much ? Also my wife likes the Pony badges, is there someplace to get these and how much ? I see the shorter 16" wheels as an advantage for gearing. A question here, are the 17" wheels/tires on the pony actually taller than the 16" wheels/tires on the non-pony V6 ? Or is the tire on the 17" wheels a lower profile ?

Also, I should have looked on the Pony to see if there was a rear sway bar. I have heard that the Pony Package includes the GT sway bars front and rear. But the brochure the dealer gave me doesnt say anything about sway bars on the Pony. Does the pony have the GT sway bars, front and rear ?

Also the dealer does not seem to want to go much below MSRP, on the Pony the MSRP is 23540 and the salesman said they could take 540 off giving 23000. On the basic model the MSRP is 19810 with 200 off, giving 19610. On both cars there is also a dealer handling fee of 500 and of course taxes.

Is this about right, or too high ? This is in Colorado front range.

just a quick FYI... Traction control has nothing to do with gearing or differntials... even if you go with the Traction Control you'll still have an open diff...
Old 02-05-2006, 04:40 PM
Frank Bullitt
1st Gear Member

thanks scrming,

I know that about the traction control and the open diff. I was just saying that if I pay for that upgrade then it is harder for me to then justifiy spending more money on the rear end. In other words the money saved on getting the basic car can be used to modify. I also like things simple, a limited slip seems simpler to me than this traction control. But I need to get more educated on this new stuff. A long time ago we just used 9 inch ford rear ends with limited slip, also called them posi. Very simple and worked.

I am also liking duals, I always put headers and duals first thing and got a lot of gain with just that. Then intake manifoleds, carbs and cams.

But I like your new muffler, and depending on what new revelations are found on duals, I might use one of those like yours.
Old 02-05-2006, 04:46 PM
TJ
4th Gear Member

Frank I went with the 2006, Pony Package ($1195.00) leather ($695.00), stick, IUP($450.00) came down to $22,103.00 (no delivery/handling fee) doc fee, new plates,county tax, and sales tax $23,863.45 out the door and yes it comes with front and rear sway bars.

Frank you passed on the GT, get the PonyPackage/leather

Old 02-05-2006, 04:57 PM
scrming
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Frank Bullitt

thanks scrming,

I know that about the traction control and the open diff. I was just saying that if I pay for that upgrade then it is harder for me to then justifiy spending more money on the rear end. In other words the money saved on getting the basic car can be used to modify. I also like things simple, a limited slip seems simpler to me than this traction control. But I need to get more educated on this new stuff. A long time ago we just used 9 inch ford rear ends with limited slip, also called them posi. Very simple and worked.

I am also liking duals, I always put headers and duals first thing and got a lot of gain with just that. Then intake manifoleds, carbs and cams.

But I like your new muffler, and depending on what new revelations are found on duals, I might use one of those like yours.

Ok... I see what your saying... it's just that a lot of people assume "Traction Control" means a LSD...

The exhaust manifolds on the V6 are actually pretty good... No one has posted definite gains of headers vs stock manifolds... guessing a few HP...

Same applys to going to a dual setup... People I've talked so seem to think there is no significant performance gain going to a dual... Rygen should be shedding some like on this soon! Best bangs for the buck seems to be (in my book anyways! LOL!)

1) Tuner (with a CAI if you want... I like the C&L)
2) Muffler (a good single will give a good gain but if you like the looks of a dual go for it! LOL)

That sould wake your car up a bit.. for fun on the street... 4.10s and an LSD.. hehehe...
Old 02-05-2006, 05:44 PM
Frank Bullitt
1st Gear Member

I did notice that the exhaust manifolds looked pretty free flowing on the 4.0. Better than the manifolds on my Ranger with 3.0. I wonder if the manifolds on the 4.0 are improved over what is being used on the 4.0 Rangers/Explorers ? Anybody checked on that ?

The clutch in the V6 engaged real good and the motor sounds good as it is. I think an exhaust system on the 4.0 will sound pretty sweet.

Also, I noticed a bit of gear whine in the 5-speed on the pony I test drove. And I think even a bit of clunking while in gear. Nothng bad, but honestly I dont hear that much whine in the M5OD in my ranger that has over 150,000 miles. Do you guys notice any whine in your 5 speed manual trannies? Maybe it is just the way the tremec is.
Old 02-05-2006, 06:26 PM
will_c
3rd Gear Member

Just a quick question, I've got the 06 pony package, with the GT sway bars i guess (that's what they say). So what exactly do the sway bars do?

will
Old 02-05-2006, 07:17 PM
Jimp
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: will_c

Just a quick question, I've got the 06 pony package, with the GT sway bars i guess (that's what they say). So what exactly do the sway bars do?

will
It makes the car corner flatter. They are sometimes called "anti-sway" bars. It will make you car handle the corners better.
Old 02-05-2006, 07:29 PM
05 Cayuse
2nd Gear Member

Frank, I'd recommend the "pony package" option. It will save you the time and shipping costs to pull all the components together. I upgraded my 05 vert to the "pony package" with the help of Ebay and others and it's a wash. So, if you want 17" bullits, front and rear sway bars, grille with fogs, fender badges, etc. I'd say pony up. Then start the good mods from there (CAI and tune, exhaust, etc). Good luck
Old 02-06-2006, 01:17 AM
WindVeil05DropTop
2nd Gear Member

Just an FYI, I got the leather, and it is bar far the worst leather I've ever seen on any car. Actually, the only thing thats leather are the front seating surfaces. Take that $695 and get an intake and tuner. Wish I would have.

Search this Thread