Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

help!!!!bad drone sound with new duals

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2006, 10:06 PM
GOVOLS

Default help!!!!bad drone sound with new duals

Just had duals put on my v6 with flowmasters and h pipe bad drone sound at 1800-2200 rpm any fix for this? will this get better as the mufflers break in?
Old 02-14-2006, 12:05 AM
LesteR723
5th Gear Member

Default RE: help!!!!bad drone sound with new duals

not sure, but you should post a sound clip
Old 02-14-2006, 12:24 AM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GOVOLS

Just had duals put on my v6 with flowmasters and h pipe bad drone sound at 1800-2200 rpm any fix for this? will this get better as the mufflers break in?
Ah, the famous flowmaster drone, I have drone on my magnaflows...but my shop said the drone on the flows are 10 times worse. It should get better after break in. At least you don't get the drone at hwy cruising speed like I do thanks to my 3.73s. LOL.
Old 02-14-2006, 12:45 AM
BlueStang6
2nd Gear Member

Originally posted by Dutch on 3.8Mustang.com

"Drone is created when you have two identical sound waves overlapping. It dramaticly increases the volume of the sound. You may have learned about it school if you took physics.

GT takeoffs don't drone, because Ford makes them slightly different left-to-right so that they don't make quite the same sound. With aftermarket mufflers, they're the same, and at certain engine speeds you'll get resonance in the exhaust that is really loud and annoying. It made the Flowmasters in my V6 Mustang unbearable. On my '64 Chrysler 300K with Flowmasters, the resonance was so bad at idle that if I had my wife with me, I had to have the windows open or the pressure would cause her ear pain.

Unless you're 17 years old and eager to be the loudest car for a 10-mile radius, skip Flowmasters."

Old 02-14-2006, 12:47 AM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: BlueStang6

Originally posted by Dutch on 3.8Mustang.com

"Drone is created when you have two identical sound waves overlapping. It dramaticly increases the volume of the sound. You may have learned about it school if you took physics.

GT takeoffs don't drone, because Ford makes them slightly different left-to-right so that they don't make quite the same sound. With aftermarket mufflers, they're the same, and at certain engine speeds you'll get resonance in the exhaust that is really loud and annoying. It made the Flowmasters in my V6 Mustang unbearable. On my '64 Chrysler 300K with Flowmasters, the resonance was so bad at idle that if I had my wife with me, I had to have the windows open or the pressure would cause her ear pain.

Unless you're 17 years old and eager to be the loudest car for a 10-mile radius, skip Flowmasters."

Wow, this is an exceptional write up. I had no idea about this. Now, how do I get my other muffler to sound different. Are there manufacturers that make the two different? Mine came in a kit, surely there is a way to fix this.

I got my handy drill in the garage. LOL
Old 02-14-2006, 02:04 AM
gabeh1018
2nd Gear Member

interesting.. ive noticed i get a lot a lot alot more drone if i turn the O/D switch off... like around 30 - 40 miles WOW engine is loud as hell and the exhaust sounds different....
Old 02-14-2006, 01:50 PM
Tres Wright
4th Gear Member

GT takeoffs don't drone, because Ford makes them slightly different left-to-right so that they don't make quite the same sound. With aftermarket mufflers, they're the same, and at certain engine speeds you'll get resonance in the exhaust that is really loud and annoying.
Huh, that's interesting indeed. I have the GT take-offs and do not have a drone anywhere in the RPM range. I like them because they have a nice throaty rumble at idle and low speeds, then quiet down at higher speeds and can barely be heard on the highway. But step on it and it lets out a nice roar
Old 02-14-2006, 04:26 PM
Hambone
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Tres Wright

GT takeoffs don't drone, because Ford makes them slightly different left-to-right so that they don't make quite the same sound. With aftermarket mufflers, they're the same, and at certain engine speeds you'll get resonance in the exhaust that is really loud and annoying.
Huh, that's interesting indeed. I have the GT take-offs and do not have a drone anywhere in the RPM range. I like them because they have a nice throaty rumble at idle and low speeds, then quiet down at higher speeds and can barely be heard on the highway. But step on it and it lets out a nice roar
+1 !!!
Old 02-14-2006, 06:01 PM
justang05
2nd Gear Member

what if you drilled a tiny hole in just one of the mufflers? I forgot exactly why people do that, but if you just did it in one would it fix the drone? Mine does it too at around 2k rpm, especially when the od is off.
Old 02-14-2006, 10:41 PM
Scrib
1st Gear Member

I must be weird - I love the sound of the Flowmasters! lol

Quick Reply: help!!!!bad drone sound with new duals