Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Changing logo in v6 spinner style center caps

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2006, 12:46 AM
WindVeil05DropTop
2nd Gear Member

Default Changing logo in v6 spinner style center caps

I purchased those take-off bullitt wheels from saleen and plan on reusing the spinner style center caps from my 05 bright machined aluminum 16" wheels. I know the spinner caps will fit right in but mine have a "Ford" logo in the center and I would like to change it to a tri-bar pony emblem. Any ideas on the best way to accomplish this? Is the emblem just glued onto the spinner cap, or does it snap in?
I was thinking of purchasing these:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-...QQcmdZViewItem

If they will pop in to the spinners that would be great. Maybe I would have to grind off the tabs and epoxy the emblems onto the spinner?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also - I want to get these rims either powder coated or painted black. I emailed two powder coating shops but have not heard back yet. What if I get them painted black? Is there any type of coating that will keep them from chipping? How much could I expect powder coating/painting to cost?

Thanks again,
-Dave
Old 02-14-2006, 11:59 AM
WindVeil05DropTop
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Changing logo in v6 spinner style center caps

anyone?
Old 02-14-2006, 12:11 PM
Joshua Tree

tag for info
Old 02-14-2006, 01:34 PM
WindVeil05DropTop
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Joshua Tree

tag for info
huh?
Old 02-14-2006, 01:40 PM
Tres Wright
4th Gear Member

I don't think you'll be able to swap the pony emblems on, the caps are plastic and you will likely break them trying to get the old "Ford" emblem off. You're probably better off just getting the pony spinners from Kevin at Clevenger. I have a set on my stang, but can't remember now how much they were (it's been a year). The eBay versions you're looking at are actually the whole cap, so there would be more to it then just grinding the tabs off. Those can be used as a direct replacement for the spinners, but they won't have the knock-off bars on them.

What part of the wheel are you thinking about painting? I wouldn't paint the rim as the tools used to remove and install tires will just tear the paint up. But if you're just doing the spokes then paint should hold up fine. Powder coat would be a lot more durable though.
Old 02-14-2006, 02:41 PM
WindVeil05DropTop
2nd Gear Member

Ok, thanks for the info. I may swap spinners down the road. I bet if I sell my spinners plus the center caps off the bullitts on ebay I will almost break even on a set of pony spinners. I'm trying to keep this upgrade as cheap as possible, especially because I wasn't planning on wheels for a while, but couldn't pass up those take-offs from Saleen.

I plan on painting just the spokes on the bullitts. Basically where they are grey already will be painted black. Any idea what a paint shop might charge for this? I can't see gloss black paint being that expensive. I'm not bad at spray painting things, but I don't want to risk it. I would feel better if it were done by a professional.
Old 02-14-2006, 05:08 PM
LesteR723
5th Gear Member

i asked the same thing but no one responeded to me
Old 02-14-2006, 06:04 PM
Tres Wright
4th Gear Member

That's because we hate you [sm=devilgrin.gif] Just kidding!! Only kidding!! There's really probably not much of a cost difference between paint & powdercoat. This is just a guess based on motorcycle parts I've had powdercoated, but I'm thinking it would be 30 or 40 per wheel (I'm bumping it up a bit due to the need to mask off the lip area). You probably already know this, but you can powdercoat in any sheen, so it can look just like high gloss paint if you want it to.
Old 02-14-2006, 08:00 PM
WindVeil05DropTop
2nd Gear Member

Got estimates from a few places to paint them gloss black. Both said $50 per wheel. So, thats only $476 for wheels and tires delivered plus $200 to paint. Plus I'll have genuine Ford wheels. I was going to buy replicas with Nexen tires (what the hell are Nexen tires?) for $1140 delivered. So, I save $464 bucks... not too shabby. I'm going to just buy those pony spinners and sell the ford spinners on ebay. I'll lose like $30 in the deal, not bad.