Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Installation of complete GT take off exhaust system on V6

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2006, 02:38 AM
WindVeil05DropTop
2nd Gear Member

Default Installation of complete GT take off exhaust system on V6

Ok, so tonight was finally the night to install my complete GT takeoff exhaust system. The parts included in my purchase were:

Left and Right GT mufflers
Left and Right Over-the-axle pipes
H-pipe including Left and Right catalytic converters

First thing to do was see if the H-pipe would swap out for the stock Y-pipe. Could never find this piece of info anywhere so I had to find out for myself. So, we got the car up on jack stands and checked it out. The stock GT H-pipe will not swap out with the stock V6 Y-pipe. Let me repeat that.

The stock GT H-pipe will not swap out with the stock V6 Y-pipe!

The left side of the GT H-pipe only has one bung for an O2 sensor, it needs another. It has two on the right side. The stock Y-pipe has two on each side. Also, the short pipes on the H-pipe above the cats are bent differently than the Y-pipe and will not flushly meet the exhaust manifold. Also, the diameter of the piping on the Y-pipe is slightly more narrow than on the H-pipe.

The one good thing is that the H-pipe and the Y-pipe are the same width after the cats, and the hanging posts are the same distance apart. So, I am going to have the cats cut off the GT H-pipe like this:

[IMG][/IMG]

I will have the Y-pipe cut after the cats. The pipes on the H-pipe are slightly wider than pipes after the cats, so they will need to be flanged inward and welded together. I will be having this done at Meineke tomorrow morning

After that, both over-the-axle pipes will bolt right up to the H-pipe with the 2.5" couplers and round brackets I purchased at Auto Zone. I will need to make two muffler hangers, as I will be using one of each from the left hand side to hang the exit end of the mufflers. I got some rubber exhaust grommets from Auto Zone (part # 17219) and will use a piece of 2" angle iron to hold the grommet to the cars frame. Someone over at Corral.net gave me instructions and I will post after I can replicate myself.

So where I left off tonight:
Right muffler is hung. Sounds awesome. I will be swapping the over-the-axle pipe out tomorrow.
Cut out bumper on left hand side with dremel. Looks amazing. Really. Perfect match and I saved mad cash over a GT rear bumper. The pipes stick out just far enough and I actually prefer the look over the GT bumper. I just traced the right hand side onto a sheet of paper, measured like 20 times, flipped the sheet over and traced it on, measured more, then dremeled. Only had to very lightly sand.

I also plan on spraying the GT muffs black with high temp paint because their finish is ugly, however right now it's too cold out to do this.

So thats it for tonight.... I'll post the rest tomorrow.

Thanks!
Dave

[IMG]local://upfiles/28568/EDDB60F8823A4FCFB8537992B9006712.jpg[/IMG]
Old 02-15-2006, 11:09 AM
WindVeil05DropTop
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Installation of complete GT take off exhaust system on V6

Just dropped the car off at Meineke. Had the guy put it up on the lift and we looked at it together. He said what I wanted to do will be very easy, and he'll just construct the muffler brackets and run the over-the-axle pipes himself. Total cost for install will be $120. All of the parts including shipping were $200, so the grand total for my H-pipe dual exhaust system was $320 installed, you can't beat that! Wish I had something to record the sound....
Old 02-15-2006, 12:10 PM
jthedges05
1st Gear Member

My Magnaflow Dual setup with H-Pipe and bumper cut was 285.00 installed.

Beat it!
Old 02-15-2006, 12:17 PM
WindVeil05DropTop
2nd Gear Member

Nice! What H-pipe did you use? Did the exhaust shop fab one up for you? Are you using the stock cats?

ORIGINAL: jthedges05

Beat it!
Old 02-15-2006, 08:45 PM
WindVeil05DropTop
2nd Gear Member

Just picked it up from Meineke. Sounds great... It's not the least bit raspy and has a nice deep growl. Getting new wheels and tires tomorrow, then it's time for the C&L CAI, ExCal II, and tune from Bamachips.
Old 02-15-2006, 09:00 PM
jthedges05
1st Gear Member

I don't know what the H-Pipe is, I think the muffler shop fabricated it.

It is a 2.5 inch pipe the whole way through, with 3 inch stainless tips.

I love it, I love the price even more.
Old 02-15-2006, 10:43 PM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jthedges05

Beat it!
Damn!!! Nice price. [sm=hail.gif]

Don't even bring up the topic of how much money I've spent on my exhaust projects. LOL.
Old 02-16-2006, 02:33 PM
WindVeil05DropTop
2nd Gear Member

Today I really got a better look at the install and I noticed that my left muffler is pointed slightly inward and that both mufflers are hung a little too low. At first I thought I would just live with it, but then I realized I paid good money for this and it needs to be done exactly how I want it. Guy at Meineke was nice when I called him, he said on Saturday I can come in and show the tech exactly how I want it.

As for sounds clips and and pics, I'm working on borrowing a camera as I don't have one.
Old 02-18-2006, 12:36 PM
WindVeil05DropTop
2nd Gear Member

Went back to Meineke today and we got it up on the lift. The tech didn't even reuse the 2 stock hangers I had front the right side. I showed him exactly how to put them on when I first came in!

He had a really crappy hanger made out a rubber strap and a chunk of metal. When I saw it I kinda freaked.

Luckily he had the stock hangers still laying around and I put one up there for him to see. The guy was putting them on upside down before, thats why it looked funny to him and he didn't use them.

So... I showed the muffler tech how to install muffler hangers and.... TADA! Everything is now lined up perfectly and looks great. My V6 looks like it came from the factory with duals!

Last night I put on 17" Bullitts w/Pirellis (got them brand new from Saleen for $375 ) and they look great. Replaced the front sway bar as well with a GT take-off (was $30, probably won't tell a difference, oh well).

I also dremeled the antenna down to make it a good amount shorter, but didn't like it. So, I bought a 14" staff from Mustang Tuning. Looks a hell of a lot better than that flagpole that used to be there.

Now I just gotta get my C&L CAI and XCal II and tune... When does my next paycheck come?

P.S. - I hope to borrow a camera for pics and sounds sometime this week.
Old 02-18-2006, 05:39 PM
Wicked Pony
3rd Gear Member

Cool! That's what I'm going to do. I just purchased the Magnaflow v-6 duals and will later get a custom H-pipe made at a muffler shop. I also found out that the GT H-pipe wouldn't bolt on to the V-6 because of the placement of the oxygen sensors. I could have used my boyfriend's H-pipe he took of his GT (he put on a Magnaflow X pipe).

Quick Reply: Installation of complete GT take off exhaust system on V6