Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

EMERGENCY BRAKE FROZEN/STUCK

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2006, 03:45 PM
alemcc
1st Gear Member

Default EMERGENCY BRAKE FROZEN/STUCK

I was just wondering what I should do if the emergency brake does not disengage?? The lever inside the car goes down, but the brake is still in tact or frozen (not sure which). I can start the car, and move around; I dont wanna move too much just in case. Is there an easy way to fix this problem. I NOW know not to use the e-brake in the cold!!
Old 02-20-2006, 01:08 AM
Puleo76
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: EMERGENCY BRAKE FROZEN/STUCK

join the club, lololol
Old 02-20-2006, 11:58 AM
cathane

Hey there,

I'll just repost what I said on an earlier message about this problem:

If you continue to have frozen e-brake problems, check out the following thread
https://mustangforums.com/m_837275/m.../tm.htm#853669
I had this problem myself, ends up that some (maybe all, not sure) 05's have a bad handbrake system compared to the 06's. The 05's had regular steel handbrake cables, the 06's have stainless steel cables, and the protective boot around the cable at the brake is prone to cracking and letting moisture in, resulting in the handbrake freezing solid without being frozen to the brake itself. The new handbrake system fixes this issue. If you give your dealership the information posted by angelica39 in this tread, they'll contact the Ford hotline and replace your handbrake system under warrenty. Haven't had a problem since they replaced it. Later

Cathane
Old 02-20-2006, 10:11 PM
Puleo76
3rd Gear Member

oo man, thanks for that info...
Old 02-20-2006, 10:12 PM
ChristopherCamel
2nd Gear Member

i had the handbrake system replaced last week and yesterday it is still doing it..now 4th with this issue, it has been at the dealer 4 times
Old 02-21-2006, 03:23 PM
ChristopherCamel
2nd Gear Member

ive made a decison today after trying to call the ford dealer and getting absoulty no help from them again(4th time calling) on my parking brake freezing issue...they told me today that i dont get a free loaner car since i didnt pay for it at time of purchasing my car and the new brakes they had to install because the frozen cable wouldnt be covered under warrenty if i drive it now with it stuck again..so i refuse to go back becuase im not dealing with a defective car anymore and it is going up for sale soon and im never buyign another ford again..ive had to many problems with the car and the dealer(s) to waste anymore of my time and money
Old 02-21-2006, 05:25 PM
cathane

That sucks man, I know how you feel, felt like selling mine with all the gas tank issues I've had with it (3 different gas tanks). But I enjoy driving it too much, so I've just accepted I can't fill my car up unless I want gas down over the side of it. As for the handbrake issue, all I can say is what worked for me. The protective boot on mine was cracked, resulting in moisture getting in and freezing the brake solid. Once I used the info in the link above and the dealership called the Ford hotline and ordered the new style handbrake system I've had no issues, and it's been a hell of a lot colder around here now then it was in the fall, and we've had lots of wild temperature swings that should amplify the problem. You might want to check to see if when they replaced the system that they ordered the new cables/assembly and not the old one... never know. Good luck with it all. Later.

Cathane
Old 02-21-2006, 05:46 PM
alemcc
1st Gear Member

Well, I cant really complain about the service because the guy in charge of my service team has been great. I gave him a call yesterday and he sent a tow truck to pick up my car (no charge) and he gave me a loaner. Just got a call from him about 5 mins ago and he said that he would be changing the parts (as cathane stated). The loaner stinks, but i know my car is in good hands, and I know it will not cost me a dime!!
Old 02-21-2006, 10:59 PM
05AV6
1st Gear Member

Back in the day, up in northern Maine, it was common knowledge not to use your parking brake until spring. If you did, expect a tow to a warm garage. I'm not supprised the brake freezes, it happens. Why use it anyhow? The car isn't going anywhere, if you leave it in gear or park.
Old 02-22-2006, 09:41 AM
ChristopherCamel
2nd Gear Member

i have to use it..i park on a steep driveway and it rolls back slowly if i dont...

Quick Reply: EMERGENCY BRAKE FROZEN/STUCK