Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Looking for h or x pipe after cats

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2006, 01:13 AM
02pnygt
1st Gear Member

Default Looking for h or x pipe after cats

I am new to these boards and just spent and hour or so reading thru most of the threads in this section. There are already tons of them on the exhaust subject so i hate to ask this but i didn't find the answer i was looking for. It's very possible after all the reading i may have blown right over it. Anyway my wife and i just bought a 06 v6 mustang and already ordered the gt take off body kit. We are going to be putting duals on it in the near future. What i am wondering is if anyone makes an h pipe or x pipe that would go after the cats. I have noticed that all the after market cat backs i see are a y pipe that mounts after the cats. What i would like to do is actually cut the pipes after the cats and get rid of the y. It would seem to me that this would be pretty common but i haven't been able to find anyone making a pipe to do this.

Thanks
Kerry
Old 02-20-2006, 01:19 AM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Looking for h or x pipe after cats

ORIGINAL: 02pnygt

I am new to these boards and just spent and hour or so reading thru most of the threads in this section. There are already tons of them on the exhaust subject so i hate to ask this but i didn't find the answer i was looking for. It's very possible after all the reading i may have blown right over it. Anyway my wife and i just bought a 06 v6 mustang and already ordered the gt take off body kit. We are going to be putting duals on it in the near future. What i am wondering is if anyone makes an h pipe or x pipe that would go after the cats. I have noticed that all the after market cat backs i see are a y pipe that mounts after the cats. What i would like to do is actually cut the pipes after the cats and get rid of the y. It would seem to me that this would be pretty common but i haven't been able to find anyone making a pipe to do this.

Thanks
Kerry
I dyno'd the difference removing the Y and putting an X in place will generate. Pretty much 2HP.
So your best bet is a kit, GT take offs or a single muffler. All will give the same gain NA. I think the MRT is the best value and HP gain.
Old 02-20-2006, 01:23 AM
02pnygt
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the response. So i would be better off if i buy a cat back just to keep the exisiting exhaust the way it is and use the y that comes with it. Since this is the wifes car i'm really concerned about gaining the hp. Does it make much difference is sound by keeping the your or opening it up into the true duals? By the way, i had been checking out the 05/06 v6 on stangnet for the past week since we got the car and have been admiring your car over there. I was trying to reply over there but for some reason i can't get my acccount to work over there.
Old 02-20-2006, 01:27 AM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

Thanks for the response. So i would be better off if i buy a cat back just to keep the exisiting exhaust the way it is and use the y that comes with it. Since this is the wifes car i'm really concerned about gaining the hp. Does it make much difference is sound by keeping the your or opening it up into the true duals? By the way, i had been checking out the 05/06 v6 on stangnet for the past week since we got the car and have been admiring your car over there. I was trying to reply over there but for some reason i can't get my acccount to work over there.
Thanks man!!!! If I were you I would get the single MRT and bolt it on. Our stock muff is very restrictive. Once you have one MRT, you can decide to go two later. I may just take out my magnaflows and put the MRT's on and dyno them just to see what the gain is. This is another good site:

http://american-speed.com/collective/forums/index.php?

I would also get a SCT/CAI combo if you really want some gains. Doug (bamachips), John (TI) and Lidio (alt auto) all offer good combo units, though most prefer Doug and Lideo with the C&L. What are your plans, what color stang did you get her?
Old 02-20-2006, 01:35 AM
02pnygt
1st Gear Member

Well we already ordered the gt take off body kit and take off bullitts from saleen. Obviously i will be doing the duals. Other things on the list are a cai/tuner combo, springs, stripes, seq. turnsignals, lift supports, and i'm sure the list will grow. I have an 02 gt that is majorly modded that i take to shows and the wife wanted something to bring along with me. We had a 66 coupe that i sold last year to help fund the gt build so we got her this to replace it. I didn't realize how much modding i was going to get myself into when we bought the v6. Heck, it may end up as bad as my 02. The car is Vista Blue with the deluxe package. It is an automatic. About the only option it has is the ext trim package with the spoiler and lower stripe. When i bought my gt i got it fully loaded and ended up removing half the stuff so i told the wife we might as well buy a more stripped model and add our own stuff.
Old 02-20-2006, 01:38 AM
02pnygt
1st Gear Member

Here's a pic:

http://img140.imageshack.us/my.php?i...c0015514gc.jpg

http://img45.imageshack.us/my.php?im...c0016010dq.jpg

http://img381.imageshack.us/my.php?i...c0016613st.jpg
Old 02-20-2006, 01:44 AM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

Well we already ordered the gt take off body kit and take off bullitts from saleen. Obviously i will be doing the duals. Other things on the list are a cai/tuner combo, springs, stripes, seq. turnsignals, lift supports, and i'm sure the list will grow. I have an 02 gt that is majorly modded that i take to shows and the wife wanted something to bring along with me. We had a 66 coupe that i sold last year to help fund the gt build so we got her this to replace it. I didn't realize how much modding i was going to get myself into when we bought the v6. Heck, it may end up as bad as my 02. The car is Vista Blue with the deluxe package. It is an automatic. About the only option it has is the ext trim package with the spoiler and lower stripe. When i bought my gt i got it fully loaded and ended up removing half the stuff so i told the wife we might as well buy a more stripped model and add our own stuff.
Smart move, I bought a ton of options and after all the modding, the only one worth anything was the leather seats! It's a beautiful car, I love the color! For duals, the dual MRT's sound awesome, IMO, the best on a new V6 yet. Here is where you can find a sound clip:

http://american-speed.com/collective...hread.php?t=55

For stripes I looked at Graphics Express, and Baltimore Street Mods. Both use 3M vinyl stripes, but BSM was much cheaper. I went with them, $70 bucks for the stripes...then 200 for the install, which is the same as Graphics Express for the stripes along. The link to them is on my web site. If you are an auto you need a really good tune, probably Doug or Lidio are your best bet, they have great automatic tunes. Everything I have done is on my web site, it includes dynos and what not.

Also, Scrming did a great job documenting his car as well, better than my site IMO. Here is a link to his:

http://www.tammyandjohn.com/Mustang/...ng/Mustang.htm

He posts all over the place as well.

Good luck, keep the posts comming!