Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Is the manual hard to learn?????

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2006, 11:21 PM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Is the manual hard to learn?????

It's not too hard to learn. and imho makes general driving much more enjoyable. You can get from point A to point B quite nicely with an automatic, but with a stick, it's you and the machine working together, and there's fun to be had in doing something a little faster or smoother than you did last time.
Old 02-22-2006, 10:03 AM
Joshua Tree

It is very easy to learn to drive manual if you have some hand eye coordination. My mustang is my first manual car, although I have driven motorcycles for the last 5 years which is very similar, just reversed a little since you clutch with your hand and shift with your foot. I took a test drive around the parking lot first to learn, ran into some trouble with sloppy shifting and realized these things are next to impossible to stall compared to a bike. The tricky stuff is reverse and starting on hills, soo my answer is, They are wayyyy more fun to drive, and really it only takes a few hours of driving to learn.
Old 02-22-2006, 10:36 AM
RedFireChik
1st Gear Member

Coordination is the key. As everyone else said. My first Stang (1995) was a stick...and I LOVED it. Sometimes I miss it.
Old 02-22-2006, 10:39 AM
crazangel14
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: v6mustangmatt

I haven't drove a manual car yet and was thinking about getting a manual in my mustang. Do you guys think it would be hard for me to learn it?
i find it very easy.. and its hard for me to pay attention.. i haven staulled yet.. practice on otehr cars before u go out and buy it.. see how u like it.... i have automatic now b/c my stang was my first car and i got into an accident with a truck hitting me last year round this time.. i just wantedt o trust myself driving for my first year and then get the manual down the line..
Old 02-22-2006, 12:00 PM
ricklmesa@cox.net
3rd Gear Member

Go for the stick and you'll get NA results like mine. Manual's always have like 10 - 15 more HP than Auto's and they take to mods a lot better. I love stick and I feel if your gunna get a sports car then DRIVE IT!!! Auto's are boring. Just make sure your in an empty parking lot or street and you'll learn in no time. You'll be driving around town in like a hour of learning. Its all about the feel for the clutch. I would advise actually stalling it on purpose just so you know what your in for. Sound silly but you'll know what to expect when you do stall. Or another good one is try to get the feel for the clutch in a drive way or on a hill. Very easy to do don't be scard of it!!
Old 02-22-2006, 04:24 PM
JerryinTO
1st Gear Member

My first car was a 73 240Z with a 4 speed. I alternated my cars between stick and auto until my wife entered the pixture. Now I'm getting an 06 convertible with a stick. I drove a GT about a month ago and stalled it just starting out. The neatest part is downshifting into a curve accellerating. and then shifting back up. You control the engine rpms and the speed better this way. The only problem might be driving in snow. I had a 325i that was really light in the back. Some big hills caused wheel spinning.

Renting one with a stick is a good idea. Some driving schools can teach you. One company in Toronto is called STICK FOR YOU. The skill is not difficult; it's dependent on the clutch and the engine. Some clucthes ( late 70/early 80's Camaros) are really ball breakers, others are not. Try a semi sometime!!! 18 gears, OY!!

GOOD LUCK!!

Jerry
Old 02-24-2006, 06:19 PM
Kaldar142
4th Gear Member

stick shift takes practices, especially from a stop/on hills and then getting the shifts smooth and quick. If you're really dedicated like i was youll learn in no time, i drove everyday for a few hours for 1 week and it became just like breathing, its so easy now since stick shift is all i've ever driven. you've gotta just be gentle and slow at first, it takes time to get good. also try avoiding slipping and riding the clutch lol, i did that alot.