Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

bamachips or alt. auto for automatics

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2006, 07:06 PM
justang05
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: bamachips or alt. auto for automatics

Would the "barbaric" tune be harder on the tranny? And do you think i could have him have 1 high octane tune with it and 1 with the regular tranny tune?
Old 02-24-2006, 11:18 PM
scrming
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: justang05

Would the "barbaric" tune be harder on the tranny? And do you think i could have him have 1 high octane tune with it and 1 with the regular tranny tune?
actually the firmer shifts are easier on the tranny... i don't know much about trannys but apparently soft shifts mean the belts are slipping... with a firm shift the belts don't slip... ???? Also the "barbaric" is setup up so you really only notice it at WOT...

And i do believe he could set you up with the tunes you describe...

Old 02-25-2006, 07:22 PM
05AV6
1st Gear Member

Now John, we would expect you to blow Lidos horn, I on the other hand I will have to blow Doug's horn. Both tuners are excellent and you can't go wrong using either one. I had talked to Doug about his tuning philosophy, when he was tuning on my car, he told me he could probably get more out of the 4.0 but the long term reliability of such a tune would be questionable in his opinion. He tunes the 4.0 to the limits of the engine as he knows them to be. We all know we would hard pressed to disagree with Doug when it comes to the 4.0, given the vast amount of experience he has with this engine. But the bottom line is, we all have our favorites...don't we John
ORIGINAL: scrming

actually the firmer shifts are easier on the tranny... i don't know much about trannys but apparently soft shifts mean the belts are slipping... with a firm shift the belts don't slip... ???? Also the "barbaric" is setup up so you really only notice it at WOT...

Old 02-25-2006, 07:34 PM
scrming
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 05AV6

Now John, we would expect you to blow Lidos horn, I on the other hand I will have to blow Doug's horn. Both tuners are excellent and you can't go wrong using either one. I had talked to Doug about his tuning philosophy, when he was tuning on my car, he told me he could probably get more out of the 4.0 but the long term reliability of such a tune would be questionable in his opinion. He tunes the 4.0 to the limits of the engine as he knows them to be. We all know we would hard pressed to disagree with Doug when it comes to the 4.0, given the vast amount of experience he has with this engine. But the bottom line is, we all have our favorites...don't we John
ORIGINAL: scrming

Like I said... I have a lot of respect for Doug... Read Lidio's philosophy and you'll see it is very similar... no car leaves his shop with an unsafe, over agressive tune... But when it comes to the automatic Lidio is the man... If you read some of the GT forums you'll see a number of guys who have switched to Lidio just for his automatic tune... Lidio has his own dyno and has worked out all the little gotchas when it comes to the automatic... Again... everyone has their strengths and weaknesses... From what I've read and the difference Lidio's tune made over my previous tune, when it come to automatics the advantage goes to Lidio...
Old 02-25-2006, 07:54 PM
05AV6
1st Gear Member

As I said, we all have our favorites, and I can see why your loyalty would lie with Lido given all the work he has done on your car and the results of that work. I'll say it again, you can't go wrong with either tuner , so to anyone wanting an opinion as to which tuner to use...your answer is which ever tuner you want.........but I still say Doug is the man when it comes to the 4.0 experience is experience...
Old 02-26-2006, 02:05 AM
justang05
2nd Gear Member

Gotta question for Lidio's customers, so i ordered my tuner yesterday over the phone and gave them my computer code and current mods. He told me that he would give my info to "the boss" and it would be shipped out the next day...but I forgot about what tunes I want! Do they email them to you? I would have called them back but I only thought of it today.
Old 02-26-2006, 09:40 AM
scrming
5th Gear Member

Gotta question for Lidio's customers, so i ordered my tuner yesterday over the phone and gave them my computer code and current mods. He told me that he would give my info to "the boss" and it would be shipped out the next day...but I forgot about what tunes I want! Do they email them to you? I would have called them back but I only thought of it today.
You might want to give them a call first thing Monday and ask what tunes they loaded... my guess is it will be like an 89, 91 and 93... Lidio (like other tuners) really don't want to e-mail you the tunes... they prefer to have you send them back the x-cal2.
Old 02-27-2006, 03:03 AM
bscottie
3rd Gear Member

It was a hard decision, but Bamachips won out, I have had several e-mail conversations with Doug and going to go with his combo,
Hey John, just as you, my car is a work in progress, the BARBARIC tune is still on a list, who knows what i'll have laying around my garage floor in a few months Thanks to all for their tips on the BEST available for our 4.0s.
Old 02-28-2006, 06:37 PM
996r916sps
1st Gear Member

Hey,

Everyone has to make their own choices. There are many performance shops around to choose from, so do what is most comfortable for you. I look forward to seeing all the non-Alternative Auto vehicles at the track this season. It's the other Alternative Auto cars I'm worried about, they will be the only competition!

Enjoy!
Old 02-28-2006, 06:42 PM
scrming
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 996r916sps

Hey,

Everyone has to make their own choices. There are many performance shops around to choose from, so do what is most comfortable for you. I look forward to seeing all the non-Alternative Auto vehicles at the track this season. It's the other Alternative Auto cars I'm worried about, they will be the only competition!

Enjoy!

hehehe....

hey... i'm leaving for Florida..... want to follow???

Quick Reply: bamachips or alt. auto for automatics