Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

FYI Cabin Leak!

Old 02-24-2006, 03:15 PM
missysmustang

Default FYI Cabin Leak!

I just wanted to let all you Mustang owners know about a cabin leak we found by accident. [:@] My husband was trying to find the car's build sheet and was looking under the carpet and found that it was mildly damp on the right side. Upon further inspection he found the foam padding up against the firewall was sopping wet as a sponge in a sink. We ended up taking it back to the dealership and they sent it to a local glass and leak repair shop where they found that the leak was inside the right side of the wiper cowling. They re-caulked the seam and replaced the foam padding under warranty. It was a lucky find and we were glad to find it after 4 months instead of 4 years down the road when the floor is rusted out. It's an easy thing to check for and will only take you 5 minutes to do. The door sills and the kick panels pop out easily. Just remember to check the padding on the firewall. It acts like a sponge and won't necessarily make the carpet wet.

Also just installed : MRT hood lift (A Must) and rear window louvers.
Old 02-24-2006, 03:27 PM
Wicked Pony
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: FYI Cabin Leak!

So did you ever find the build sheet. Do they put build sheets in cars these days?
Thanks for the tip, my car lives outside so I'm going to check.
Old 02-24-2006, 03:32 PM
missysmustang

No we took a brake from looking to do some other things. But, we are hopeful to find it. A Focus at the dealership had it in the glovebox. It was a single sheet of paper with code numbers on it. Nate at MRT said try looking under the back seat.
Old 02-24-2006, 04:13 PM
Professor Wizard
MF Moderator

Your build date should be on a sticker under the lid that covers your spare tire.. or on the side of the containment holding your spare tire.
Old 02-24-2006, 11:16 PM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

Mine had a leak in the exact same area, but it was a different cause. The plastic cowl cover has rectangular pins to located it right in front of the winsshield. These fit into holes in the cowl sheetmetal that have plastic seals inserted in them. One of the seals was missing entirely...

If anyone goes under the cowl, you might as well check those too.
Old 02-25-2006, 02:39 PM
modified7

I don't think you'll find a build sheet under the carpet anywhere......the only thing that resembles a "build sheet" that I see is in the glove box once it comes off the line but don't know for sure if it stays or not. The only papers we use as it goes down the line itself is broadcast sheets.....they get changed as the car goes through different areas of the plant. Each broadcast sheet has enough information on it for about two lines worth of production then a new one is put over it for operators in the next zone to know what to put on the car........
For those that commented on the spare tire area.......it sounds like they have experience with that so maybe look there but it's not like the old days where it would be under the carpet or seat as things are done alot different nowadays......... I know in my zone the broadcast sheet will have items like the model,engine,pcm,rear shocks,burglar alarm,amp for stereo,keyset,code for correct emblems, and several other items........
Old 02-25-2006, 08:17 PM
chidrock
2nd Gear Member

would either of you have a picture of this? I just want to be sure I know where to look in my car the next time it rains...thanks!
Old 02-25-2006, 10:38 PM
missysmustang

It is too dark out now but I can take some pictures in the morning and post them.
Old 02-26-2006, 01:24 PM
missysmustang

OK here's the pictures.

The first one is with the right side door sill and kick panel removed and carpet pulled back.

The second is with red circles showing where the original foam padding was cut off and removed from the backing and the blue circle is showing the fiber mat that they replaced it with. The original foam on this side was like squeezing a wet sponge.

The third is under the hood. The red circles are the 2 plastic phillips screws you need to remove to raise up the cowling. Note the MRT hood lift.

The last is the leak. It's not pretty but the black caulk smeared all around the cabin air filter box stopped the leak. You can't see it when the cowling is in place. I'm glad it was an easy fix and they did not have to remove the windshield.

[IMG]local://upfiles/30612/A07EE488BC77447799CEA6EB8EB28142.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/30612/B665B85F219D4D59A6BF3E2F87530674.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/30612/7AF0B9E1B5074747AEE0EFC56923E161.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/30612/97238A015F0841DBBC993F7826B0BC41.jpg[/IMG]
Old 02-26-2006, 01:49 PM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

Regarding mine I don't have a photo, buy I hope Missysmustang won't mind me borrowing one. One of the seals I was talking anout is circled on the right side of the photo. A series of them run across the cowl. The one that was actually missing on mine was near the lower corner of the windshield on the passenger side (approx. where the arrow is pointing)

[IMG]local://upfiles/20924/ED564A6D90124EEFA6E2371872D5922B.jpg[/IMG]

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: FYI Cabin Leak!