Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

putting on Pony emblems

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2006, 10:56 PM
chidrock
2nd Gear Member

Default putting on Pony emblems

I'd like to put my set of pony emblems on my quarter panels...does anyone know where I can get the measurements to put them on? Also, what would be a good way to get rid of the pegs on the back of them so they don't scratch the car? (The place I ordered from told me they were stick-on, but they didn't tell me that they had the pegs too)
Old 02-24-2006, 11:24 PM
Puleo76
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: putting on Pony emblems

get a hand saw or something and get as close to the back as possible and when u saw them off smooth it out,

http://www.mustangmonthly.com/howto/28798/index1.html

that might help.

i asked hte same questions xmas time, lolol

Old 02-24-2006, 11:41 PM
05 Cayuse
2nd Gear Member

I just eyeballed placement to be centered in the triangle space of the fender. I took a measurement I thought looked good and duplicated it on the other side so they would match. I then put a little tape line so they were level. To get the tabs of the back I used a dremel tool to grind them off. It really doesn't need to be a stressful project, just place them where they look good.
Old 02-24-2006, 11:46 PM
chidrock
2nd Gear Member

Thanks guys!

Cayuse, your's do look pretty good. I was thinking of doing it that way, but I didn't know if it'd be like heresy or something to not put them the same way that the pony package has them. lol jk You used a tape line to make sure they were level? I guess you mean from the door to the tire, right?
Old 02-25-2006, 12:29 AM
pegsyellowtang

Great question and wonderful answers. I just got my pony emblems the other day. The seller on ebay also told me that they were stick on and forgot to mention the pegs.
Problem solved! Saw off the pegs and eye ball location.....
Works for me.
thanks,

Peggy
Old 02-25-2006, 01:26 AM
05 Cayuse
2nd Gear Member

Yes, I measured over from the door edge, and up from the top of the lower black decal. I put a small piece of tape so I was the same on both sides. Actually, who can see both at the same time? Good luck!
Old 02-25-2006, 01:40 AM
StreetRod Steve
1st Gear Member

Those two mounting pegs are just made from plastic. Use some pliers and twist them off, and use a small pen knife afterwards to trim any remaining stuff down.

I went to a Ford dealership and found a Pony Package, and just measured the vertical height of the emblem's center down to the ground, and horizontal distance (in inches) to the wheel well edge. Then I placed my emblems up to my car and used a crayon to mark their general placement. Easy

Remeber, once you peel off that blue film from the adhesive, you only get ONE CHANCE to put the emplem on straight. It sticks forever once it touches the car. Be sure that you don't mix up the left and right emblems. Pony faces forward.
Old 02-25-2006, 02:16 AM
chidrock
2nd Gear Member

I was thinking about stopping off at the dealer tomorrow to measure it. I know eyeballing it would be just as good, but yeah...I'm a little **** when it comes to this stuff sometimes. I'll eyeball it if I think I could do better though.

Another option is getting some scotch tape or something and putting it on the car first & then marking it when you want to put it on in it's permanent spot...
Old 02-25-2006, 01:56 PM
0to60
2nd Gear Member

Here are the measurements in case you don't want to just eyeball it:

3 1/2" from fender edge at door to pony's tail

4 3/4" from fender crease above pony to top of tri-bar

As for getting those plastic tabs off, I just used pliers to break them and then filed the rest down. I also scratched off the included adhesive so I could use 3M double-sided tape, but that was probably unnecessary. Be sure to clean the fenders before you apply: dishwashing liquid + water solution is good to get rid of wax and grease, followed by a final wipe with isopropyl alcohol.

Good luck! In the end, I decided to go with 4.0 fender emblems and stick the tri-bar pony on my grill in between the GT fog lamps, but your fenders will look great too!

Tim
Old 02-25-2006, 02:04 PM
Puleo76
3rd Gear Member

you have any pics of that ? id love to see how the tribar pony came out.
ORIGINAL: 0to60

Here are the measurements in case you don't want to just eyeball it:

3 1/2" from fender edge at door to pony's tail

4 3/4" from fender crease above pony to top of tri-bar

As for getting those plastic tabs off, I just used pliers to break them and then filed the rest down. I also scratched off the included adhesive so I could use 3M double-sided tape, but that was probably unnecessary. Be sure to clean the fenders before you apply: dishwashing liquid + water solution is good to get rid of wax and grease, followed by a final wipe with isopropyl alcohol.

Good luck! In the end, I decided to go with 4.0 fender emblems and stick the tri-bar pony on my grill in between the GT fog lamps, but your fenders will look great too!

Tim

Quick Reply: putting on Pony emblems