Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

we all know x vs. h, but what about straight pipes?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2006, 01:59 AM
0to60
2nd Gear Member

Default we all know x vs. h, but what about straight pipes?

Hey guys,

I was reading some old threads and came across this statement:

ORIGINAL: black06stang
The pros of having an h-pipe are that you may pick up 1-2 horsepower. The cons of true duels (without any type of connection) is that you may lose a minimal amount of horsepower.
I'm getting a custom system installed by my local Midas. The guys there want to run two straight pipes without any connection between the two. I'm a little uneasy because my understanding is that some sort of crossover is necessary to balance out the exhaust pulses.

How important is it to put in an h-pipe? The guys at Midas said it actually DECREASES the airflow and will therefore hurt both sound and performance, but I wonder if they might be mistaken.

I would also consider an x-pipe, but I like the deeper sound and low-end torque of an h.

Any advice you could give me would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Tim
Old 02-26-2006, 02:12 AM
chrisc
5th Gear Member

Default RE: we all know x vs. h, but what about straight pipes?

i think that this would make a problem with the back pressure issue, i know that i was reccomended NOT to do this when i asked one of my VERY knowledgeable car buddies
Old 02-26-2006, 04:13 AM
angryterry26

If you dont believe in the backpressure stories, I have also heard that they sound ricey when you have straight pipes. It makes sense, three cylinder sound, just two of them, compared to six all together. Makes sense to me anyway.
Old 02-26-2006, 05:17 AM
Badash
1st Gear Member

I have straight pipe duals and my car doesnt sound ricey at all. Dont know about the h pipe gets you hp.. since I never had an h pipe. Why would you need it to balance exhaust pulses? You have 3 cylinders on each side.. thats already balanced, unless a cylinder stops firing. then you have other problems.
Old 02-26-2006, 05:27 AM
1BAD3V
6th Gear Member

Dont get straight pipes, get an h-pipe and then an axle back exhaust.
Old 02-26-2006, 05:59 AM
hamidlmt
I ♥ Acer

I talked with Travis over at http://home.fastspecialties.com/ He said, he doesn't care what type of cross-over you have...x or h... you just need a crossover.
Old 02-26-2006, 10:43 AM
LesteR723
5th Gear Member

if your concerned about flow issues, you have to understand that the best will be an X pipe. However, an H will give you a deeper sound. You have probably read the posts about people saying that the H will make you loose power over the X, which is not true. For a v8, however, this is true. The cylinders fire in intervals on either side, and never at the same time- this send the exhaust gasses out of the cylinder, into your headers through the cats and down the pipe. The reduce pressure in the pipes some of the gas passes into the crossover pipe to exit the tubes, as the next wave of gasses come from the other side. On a v6, hoever, with the firing pattern of the cylinders on either side, this is not an issue you will have to worry about. True duals give a riciER (note, not RICEY) sound, whereas the H will give you the deepest, and an x will put you somewhere between the two. All depends on what sound your aiming for concitering you have a 6. good luck
Old 02-26-2006, 04:18 PM
StupidTodd
2nd Gear Member

true duals give you a riciER sound? really? (http://www.hedkrash.com/Recording1.wav)

I've heard many of the brandname H and X setups, that have the nasty drone, high pitched chirps, etc.

I have true duals (no crossover), I run pretty much straight pipes (I have glasspacks mid car) and big 21"x3" SilverLine tips out the back to help resonate the sound a little more.

The above clip was taken with a crappy cell phone, when the glasspacks were about 3/4 broken in. Once the weather warms up and I have a chance to make a better recording with the glasspacks fully broken in I will. The tone has gotten deeper, and the slight chirpieness in the above clip is all but gone.

The absolute best part is, parts and labor $240 (plus $20 I gave the guys at the muffler shop for a case of beer)

I understand the need for a crossover in a V8. It has to do with the firing order, and makes complete sense. In the V6 it's a different story, and doesn't really do anything for you.

Moving the muffler (or glasspack or whatever) mid car, is probably the best thing you can do for sound. It allows the sound to resonate through the remainder of the pipe, and not come out so chirpy.

With the mufflers so far back, you end up with those chirpy higher pitched barks. An H or X can help this problem, but if you don't have it to begin with, why install a crossover?
Old 02-27-2006, 06:50 AM
0to60
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the feedback, guys! Sounds like an h-pipe is my best bet.

One more question: as long as the system is behind the cats, do I need to worry about emissions legality? One thing I like about the JBAs is that they're 50-state certified. I live in Connecticut but might be driving out to Cali this summer, so I want to keep everything street legal.

Thanks,
Tim
Old 02-27-2006, 11:30 PM
angryterry26

nope, your good in all 50 states, so dont worry my friend!

Quick Reply: we all know x vs. h, but what about straight pipes?