Vendor For Sale / Group Buy Classifieds Single Items & Group Buys - Authorized MustangForums.com Vendors Only!

OH SH**

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 10:23 PM
dcohen
4th Gear Member

Default OH SH**

I was working on one of our work trucks today and something BAD happened. It is a 1986 s-10 with a 2.8l v6 and fuel injection. It had been sitting for about two years, so we got it running and i decided to change the spark plugs. I got the ratchet on the plug and it fell onto one of the posts on the alternator. The wire hooked to the post went to the positive side of the battery. It arced a little and the wire going to the battery from the alternator got hot enough to burn the insulation off before i got the battery discontected. I got the plugs back in and the wires back on but now the truck wont do anything. The lights and horn work, but thats about it. I checked all the fuses and none were blown. What should I check next?

please give me some advice here, i also tried putting a jumper wire across the solenoid, but nothing happened

(Edit) i know its not a classic mustang but i also know that if theres anywhere on this forum where i can get help its here
Old 01-12-2007, 10:26 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

Default RE: OH SH**

did you recharge the battery.....it probably drained
down quite abit
Old 01-12-2007, 10:29 PM
dcohen
4th Gear Member

it wasnt the battery, the lights still worked, as did the horn. When you turn on the switch NOTHING happens, no check engine lights, nothing, and when you try to start it the starter doesnt even click
Old 01-13-2007, 12:40 AM
KStang65
1st Gear Member

Several years ago I did something similar with my 1987 firebird withthe2.8L multiport fuel injected engine. This should be the same engine you have in yours since I believe they started using them on gm vehicles back in 86.

I replaced my started, took it for a ride and all of a sudden everything started flashing, the car turned off and the battery was sizzling. I quickly pulled the battery cable.

What had happened it the positive cable running to the starter got too close to the exhaust and burned through the plastic and welded itself to the exhaust.

I couldn't start the car but the lights and all the test lights would come on when you turn the key to on. I replaced the battery and all was well. I've since put over 100,000 more miles on the car.

I'd say if a new battery doesn't work, check all your wires everywhere under the dash and under the hood and make sure none are melted. If all looks good, maybe you fried your computer. Try replacing it and see what happens.

hope this helps.
Old 01-13-2007, 02:19 AM
KStang65
1st Gear Member

Oops. Looks like chevy used the throttle body injection on the s10 in 86 and not multiport.

I'd still check all the wires and replace the battery first then replace the computer. If you still don't get your brake light, check engine light, etc after all that, I'm not sure what to check next.

Sounds like the computer to me though.

Good luck.
Old 01-13-2007, 10:33 PM
dcohen
4th Gear Member

im kinda scared to ask this, but how about how much would a computer cost? i know it wont be cheap
Old 03-07-2007, 01:09 AM
hellas85stang
4th Gear Member

main fuse,fusable link melted,shorted wiring..voltage reg shot...were ya drinkin on job.. lol i know alottachevy guys drink when workin on there stuff,and screw it up and call us ford guys to come over and fix the broken chevys.....lol

j/k...prob a short in wires..melted maybe some where
Old 08-28-2007, 02:27 PM
big ben
2nd Gear Member

check the fusible link! and you sain it is a no crank problem go to ur auto store and buy a remote starter butten with leeds and jump from the battery to the relay(assuming you checked/replaced pos bat cable) you sould be able to bump it over like that if still nothing i know the junk yard here sells computors for 100$