Virginia Regional Chapter Chapter President: BabyGT

Car is in body shop

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 11:15 PM
jrockgts197
2nd Gear Member

Default Car is in body shop

Well, I hate to say it, but the Stang is in the body shop. At 120k miles of daily driver duty we accumulated 3 door dings, the infamous battery dent (for those of you familiar), and various rock chips. After my wife insisted that she be given a bi-weekly rotation of commuting in the Stang she inevitably parked it among the rest of the zombie population and this was the result:

Name:  IMG_20130505_143021_180_zps17212ec6.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  85.8 KB

Notice the dent to the lower left of the GT emblem also? It's hard to see in this pic but it's actually creased between the two dents and somehow knocked paint off the rim.

An elderly lady was exiting her car when "the wind caught her door" and this was the result. Luckily she was nice enough to come inside and fess up to the damage and provide her insurance info, which is rare these days. So off to the body shop the car went today. While it's in there the paintless dent guy is going to fix the door dings and the battery dent on my dime. Hopefully, a Cervini's cowl hood will be delivered in time to be painted along with the fender, also on my dime. They gave us an Infinity G37 rental to help ease our pain. After all of this, the Mustang will be parked in a bullet proof bubble....
Old 05-21-2013, 05:19 AM
alan0614
6th Gear Member

Good luck on the repair, that really sucks. Be sure to post some pics of the new hood.
Old 05-21-2013, 06:25 AM
Gary Ugarek
4th Gear Member

At least the lady owned up to it. That is more than anyone can say for the rest of the morons who do this and walk away like it is no big deal.
Old 05-23-2013, 11:46 PM
jrockgts197
2nd Gear Member

Well, they screwed it up. It looks like they repaired the damage and skipped a few steps in order to get it into the paint booth quickly. You can see the sanding marks on nearly the entire fender and the GT emblem is crooked, but at least the paint matches perfectly. The sanding marks are so bad it looks like they sanded the body filler with 80 grit sand paper and called it good, even areas of the fender nowhere near the damage. You can catch the sanding ripples with your fingernail and you can see them from 10 feet away literally all over the fender. They painted over rock chips and they have a lot of trash in the clear coat in the front. Looks like the paint was applied with a cheap enamel paint brush.

I tried to justify some of the work, trying not to be a jerk, but it has to go back. There is NO WAY any type of supervisor signed off on this repair. It's that bad. Can't anyone take pride in their work any more? For FU#$ sake the DA^% fender hadn't even been properly sanded and prepped before they painted it. Then they turned around and sent it out knowing it looked horrible. There's no way nobody saw that. My wife picked up the car and immediately called me to tell me it wasn't right. The only thing she got from the front desk (where we had to pay a deductible, even though we were not at fault) was "here are the keys, car's out front, if you have any problems just bring it back, LIFETIME WARRANTY ON REPAIRS!!!". This was one of the most respected repair facilities in the area! I won't put them on blast until they get a chance to make it right. FML.
Old 05-26-2013, 12:16 PM
BabyGT
5th Gear Member

What shop did you take it too?
Old 05-26-2013, 09:23 PM
jrockgts197
2nd Gear Member

Not going to say yet. PM'd you the name of the shop. Took it back up there Saturday morning and they didn't even come out and look at it. The manger said that he knew we were coming back so he came in on Saturday to talk to us. NEVER EVEN CAME TO LOOK! Total horse $^it. He tried to say that there was a problem when they sent the fender in "to cook" and the paint cracked. Complete lie. There is no doubt the fender got painted before it was finished. Then they gave it back knowing it was screwed up? I suspect they underestimated the time of the repair in order to meet the quote they gave to my insurance company and they painted the fender before it was ready. To top it all off, he actually suggested we wait around until they could fix it! Unbelievable! They're just trying to avoid paying for the rental car! It's obvious the entire fender has to be sanded back down and repainted. They want us to sit there all day waiting? After we laughed in their face they told us to bring it back Tuesday. LOL!!!!!
Old 05-30-2013, 09:13 PM
Eunox
1st Gear Member

What part of VA is this shop in so I can avoid it
Old 05-31-2013, 12:31 PM
BabyGT
5th Gear Member

Wow........ This is why I'm setting up to paint my own stuff.
Old 06-17-2013, 07:48 PM
BabyGT
5th Gear Member

Update!!! What's the latest?
Old 06-18-2013, 07:23 PM
Gary Ugarek
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jrockgts197
Well, they screwed it up. It looks like they repaired the damage and skipped a few steps in order to get it into the paint booth quickly. You can see the sanding marks on nearly the entire fender and the GT emblem is crooked, but at least the paint matches perfectly. The sanding marks are so bad it looks like they sanded the body filler with 80 grit sand paper and called it good, even areas of the fender nowhere near the damage. You can catch the sanding ripples with your fingernail and you can see them from 10 feet away literally all over the fender. They painted over rock chips and they have a lot of trash in the clear coat in the front. Looks like the paint was applied with a cheap enamel paint brush.

I tried to justify some of the work, trying not to be a jerk, but it has to go back. There is NO WAY any type of supervisor signed off on this repair. It's that bad. Can't anyone take pride in their work any more? For FU#$ sake the DA^% fender hadn't even been properly sanded and prepped before they painted it. Then they turned around and sent it out knowing it looked horrible. There's no way nobody saw that. My wife picked up the car and immediately called me to tell me it wasn't right. The only thing she got from the front desk (where we had to pay a deductible, even though we were not at fault) was "here are the keys, car's out front, if you have any problems just bring it back, LIFETIME WARRANTY ON REPAIRS!!!". This was one of the most respected repair facilities in the area! I won't put them on blast until they get a chance to make it right. FML.
When you can see the sanding, they didn't use the right grit to sand down the filler.

Quick Reply: Car is in body shop