Virginia Regional Chapter Chapter President: BabyGT

Opinions on Hampton Roads Ford dealers

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 02:25 PM
Jande063
1st Gear Member

Default Opinions on Hampton Roads Ford dealers

Hello all,
I have a 2014 Mustang that I purchased from Cavalier Ford in Chesapeake, VA in mid-August that has decided to develop a troubling transmission issue. It has decided to grind and not engage first gear when I let the clutch out even though the stick is fully into first. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with any of the local dealers with respect to warrantee work? I am worried that they may try to pull the, "well you just used it too hard" game. As an engineer with a motorsports background, I would say that the likelihood of the rough usage applied by my six runs down the drag strip and a day of autocrossing destroying this transmission is pretty low, I am thinking that there may have been an issue from day one since I have had shifting issues with 1 and 2 that pop up then miraculously fix themselves a few hours or days later. Does anyone have an opinion about whether Beach, Cavalier, Freedom, or Hall will be reasonably honest with me about warrantee work, or if there is a better option? Unfortunately, Beach was the only one who could get me in within a reasonable amount of time(Cavalier told me that they could not see it before October 14th, which is not an option in this case), but for future reference, I am hoping for some opinions. Thanks for the help.
Old 09-24-2013, 08:47 PM
BabyGT
5th Gear Member

The ford dealer across from Chesapeake square mall hosts the mustang club of tidewater meets. I'm sure they'd treat a mustang owner right. I believe that is cavalier actually lol.

Do a search and see if anyone else is having the same issue.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:19 PM
jrockgts197
2nd Gear Member

Yes, that is Cavalier and that's where I take my car for alignments. Very honest group of people there, they even called someone in on a Saturday to align my car (adjustable caster/camber plates) because he had a setup like mine on his Mustang. Two family members have bought new Fords there and never had a complaint. I say go for it. If you don't like their response then go somewhere else. With the negative publicity the newer Mustang transmissions have gotten I doubt you'll have a problem getting it replaced.

EDIT: Sorry, just realized you said Cavalier couldn't get you in until the 14th. In that case I'm not going to be much help other than saying Wynne Ford in Hampton has been good to the local Mustang clubs and usually have good reviews. Beach Ford is hit or miss but certainly competent in most cases. Honestly I would try to go up the chain of command at Cavalier and see if someone can get you in there sooner.

Last edited by jrockgts197; 09-24-2013 at 10:27 PM.
Old 09-25-2013, 08:32 PM
BabyGT
5th Gear Member

Yeah I was just thinking that. Keep asking to talk to someone higher up, explain that it's your only car and not having first gear makes the car kinda useless.
Old 09-26-2013, 12:11 AM
Jande063
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the advice, looks like I will be going back to Cavalier(about time for that first oil change) after Beach finishes rebuilding my transmission. After ten hours with the car on a lift, they called to say that they had to order a new first gear, second gear, third gear, shift forks, synchro hub, and a couple of other things(all under warrantee). Hopefully, it will last longer than 2,900 miles this time, but it is good to know that Cavalier is pretty friendly toward us. Any idea if they would respond negatively to me installing a set of Koni yellows, adjustable rear sway bar, and a set of OEM 2013 GT Brembo package wheels and tires?
Old 09-26-2013, 07:09 AM
BabyGT
5th Gear Member

You gonna do the install yourself? I'm not sure about cavalier but a lot of dealers frown upon self installed parts. See how much cavalier would charge to install, then it should still be warranty safe.

I don't have a whole lot of experience with dealers though, never had enough to buy a car new lol. Someone else will chime in soon.