West AK, CA, NV, OR, UT, HI, WA, ID

San Diego Cruise to the Drive In 06/09/07

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 08:18 PM
Sprzout
4th Gear Member

Default San Diego Cruise to the Drive In 06/09/07

Ok, folks...

I'm planning a cruise for Saturday, June 9th. We will be leaving from On The Border Mexican Grill in Escondido to cruise through the back hills & roads, and some of the local mountains. There will be a few straights, but it's mostly going to be a cruise along some winding roads, with a great view along the way, and hopefully not too many stoplights or CHP/municipal police.

The cruise will end at the Santee Drive In, where we can all see a movie yet to be determined (the drive in hasn't said what movies will be showing on their screens yet; there are 2 screens, and each screen usually shows a double feature). Cost per person is $7/adult,$3/child for the movie; if you decide that youdon't want to seea movie, it's a simple thing to jump on the freeway again to head home.Movies start around sundown, and usually they start letting in about an hour or so before the movies start.

Obviously, this cruise will be happening in the afternoon and into the evening because of that; We'll be meeting at 12 pm for a meet n' greet, then leaving about 2pm to start the cruise. The cruise is approximately 83 mi, and will go up past Lake Wohlford, up around Lake Henshaw & Julian, where we will then make a 1 hourstop at Dudl3y's Bakery for bathroom/bread/etc. After that, we will headdown through Ramona & Lakeside to the Drive-In; depending on the time of arrival, there will most likely time available to get gas at the Costco in Santee for those who are making the run back north.

I apologize in advance if any of these rules sound like they're harsh-

No burnouts/drifting/loud music/speeding/anything that will attract the unwanted attention of the police! I cannot stress this enough. Police in Southern California (and San Diego County in particular) have been cracking down on street racing, and any large gathering of cars tends to be scrutinized, espcecially one with large amounts of modified cars.

As for the speed the cruise will travel - I drive a STOCK GT. I will be leading the cruise out from the starting point, and from the midway point. MY CAR WILL BE THE FASTEST CAR. Again, this is done to help keep the cops from nailing us for speeding (plus, the roads we'll be traversing will have sections that won't be able to punch it through, and I'm sure that we'll be passing through areas where there will be "blue hairs and geezers" that want to drive the speed limit).

Now, it seems that every cruise I'veattended/set upso far has had at least ONE person who gets stopped by the cops for burnouts, speeding, loud music, or "exhibition of horsepower", as has been noted on the tickets issued. If you pull in to the event and you're squealing your tires, you'll be asked to turn around and leave.If you have loud music blasting, we'll ask you to turn it down, or leave. If you feel the need to go out on the street and show off - please don't come back to the cruise.NO EXCEPTIONS ON THESE!I want all attention attracted to us to be GOOD attention, so that we can hold another cruise without harassment by the local police depts or on-site security.

If you're interested, please, start posting so I can get an accurate head count!

1. Sprzout
Old 05-02-2007, 12:24 AM
Sprzout
4th Gear Member

Default RE: San Diego Cruise to the Drive In 06/09/07

bump
Old 05-02-2007, 12:55 AM
redcobrasc
2nd Gear Member

Sounds like fun. I need to check on my reno trip which i believe falls on that weekend or the next, but I will be getting back to you asap when i can verify my dates , thanks from Eastlake out.
Old 05-02-2007, 01:48 AM
Sprzout
4th Gear Member

Sounds good!

I'll put you down as a maybe right now...

1. Sprzout
2. redcobrasc
Old 05-02-2007, 01:54 AM
05gtdriver
5th Gear Member

I should be able to make it, put me down and I'll adjust my schedule if necessary.
Hey Sprzout, we'll be twins for the day(my '06 GT is Tungsten with polished Bullitts), although I'm gonna try to put silver Shelby stripes during Memorial Day weekend if I can make time(gonna install them myself)
Old 05-02-2007, 02:01 AM
Sprzout
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 05gtdriver

I should be able to make it, put me down and I'll adjust my schedule if necessary.
Hey Sprzout, we'll be twins for the day(my '06 GT is Tungsten with polished Bullitts), although I'm gonna try to put silver Shelby stripes during Memorial Day weekend if I can make time(gonna install them myself)
Added to the list!
1. Sprzout
2. redcobrasc
3. 05gtdriver

Old 05-02-2007, 05:21 PM
Sprzout
4th Gear Member

bump
Old 05-03-2007, 07:04 PM
Sprzout
4th Gear Member

Bumping again...

I'm trying to work something out with a North County In-n-Out Burger as a possible meeting spot for us; if not there, we'll be starting from North County Fair Mall and driving from there. The route will take us out through the local mountains on some nice cruising runs and back down through Lakeside area to the drive-in itself.
Old 05-04-2007, 12:31 AM
DaBoss
2nd Gear Member

Not sure of my schedule yet, but go ahead and put me down.
Old 05-04-2007, 02:20 AM
Sprzout
4th Gear Member

Added to the list!

1. Sprzout
2. redcobrasc
3. 05gtdriver
4. DaBoss

And I hear ya about scheduling...I lucked out and planned the cruise before finding out that I was "obligated" to go to a wedding where I didn't know anyone there...So I was told I could do the cruise instead of doing the wedding.

Quick Reply: San Diego Cruise to the Drive In 06/09/07