Wheels & Tires Discuss rims and tires here.

5 Year Old "New'' Tires???

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2018, 07:26 AM
FoshJowler

Default 5 Year Old "New'' Tires???

On Tire Rack occasionally I'll come across discounted tires because they are an older production, example link at the bottom. I probably wouldn't go with these specific tires, but it's the most recent example that I've come across. My question is would something like this be safe to drive on in daily use for the next year or two? I have a separate wheel and tire combo for autocross/track use. Price is an object, but not the deciding factor. I don't want to drive on unsafe tires.
Old 02-14-2018, 08:03 AM
FoshJowler

Originally Posted by FoshJowler
On Tire Rack occasionally I'll come across discounted tires because they are an older production, example link at the bottom. I probably wouldn't go with these specific tires, but it's the most recent example that I've come across. My question is would something like this be safe to drive on in daily use for the next year or two? I have a separate wheel and tire combo for autocross/track use. Price is an object, but not the deciding factor. I don't want to drive on unsafe tires.
Link might help.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...SABEgKQ9vD_BwE
Old 02-14-2018, 09:16 AM
proeagles
4th Gear Member

I think they would be safe to drive for a couple of years since they've been kept in a warehouse and not subjected to the elements. Normally tires that old in the elements would begin to crack and split on the sidewalls at which time they need to be replaced.
Old 02-14-2018, 01:08 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Id be careful/leary with older summer tires from states that have 4 seasons (mainly winter) the reason is that even if they are stored in a warehouse, out of the elements, just the fact that it can get down to freezing in the warehouse, will affect the tires negatively.

They do have a 5 yr workmanship defect warranty so, if the savings is significant, go for it. Just keep you eyes on the tires for microcrackes in the tread. They look like dryrot. If you get that, have them warrantied ASAP!
Old 02-15-2018, 11:51 AM
Buck Sergeant
2nd Gear Member

Default 5 Year Old "New'' Tires???

FoshJowler, The usual concern is that tires may have sat in a warehouse for years, and the rubber has degraded in some way. While it is not uncommon for it to take several months, and sometimes even up to a year for tires to be shipped from the manufacturer to suppliers in the US, be assured the tires have been stored to ensure their integrity. Once tires reach the US, they are moved into Tires-Easy industrial tire warehouses, to ensure proper storage and prevent exposure to seasonal weather conditions. Checking your tires DOT Date Code will tell you when they were made and how long they may have been stored. Find the raised DOT letters and numbers. Look for 4 numbers together, often enclosed in a raised oval. The first two numbers are the week the tire was manufactured. The second two numbers are the year the tire was manufactured. Also, a general guideline and consensus from the various tire industry associations around the world is that tires have a useful service life of 6 to 10 years. If you consider that the tread on even the longest lasting tires will be fully worn after 5 or 6 years of typical usage, you would still have some time before there is an elevated risk of age related degradation of the materials given proper care and handling. Done deal.
Old 02-19-2018, 06:43 AM
David Young
2nd Gear Member

If I were looking for a tire like the one shown in the link, at that price I would buy them. That's a great deal if you plan on having them worn out within 3 years or so
Old 02-19-2018, 08:15 AM
Coosawjack
2nd Gear Member

The "Vulcanization Process" continues as tires age......they continue to get harder especially in the heat!!

I had 6 year old tires on the back of my '04 Supercharged Marauder and was all over the place on hard acceleration........new tires with a 2 month old Mfg. Date stopped the foolishness!!

As long as you are aware of the lack of traction the tires will be safe to use and should wear longer since the compound will be harder!!

Good Luck and be careful!!