Wheels & Tires Discuss rims and tires here.

Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 07:21 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems

Apparently there's a cheapie TPMS tool available over the dealership parts counter (less than $20).

p/n: 8C2T-1A203-AB (officially, it's for the '08 E series vans, but it has supposedly been verified to work on Mustangs and one or two other Fords)

Norm
Old 03-04-2008, 11:00 AM
wilbtayl

Ok I am new here, but I have been reading through these posts and haven't seemed to answer my question so I guess I will ask...sorry if I'm repeating anything...I've noticed constand discussion about the problem of the '07 TPMS when buying aftermarket wheels or larger wheels in general...I have a 2006 Mustang and am looking to purchase 20" wheels with the recommended 255/35/20 tires...will I have this same problem of the sensors acting up or is this something new? also, does anyone know if this wheel and tire size will create any problem of rubbing at any point? thanks
Old 03-08-2008, 02:24 PM
colin@tirerack
2nd Gear Member

As long as the wheel is the correct specs the 20" with 255/35-20 tires should fit fine.

There should not be any problem getting your tpms system to work with your new wheels and sensors but we don't show that your 06 mustang came with tire pressure sensors.

Old 03-14-2008, 08:40 AM
LICobra

Hi to all...im new to the forum

I just purchased an 08 GT, I ordered it with the optional 18" wheels with he intent of switching to the 18" Ford Black Bullitt style wheel. Not knowing about the wheel sensors I was told by the local tire store that I need new straps for the sensors, I called Ford and there 49 a piece,I'll call NAPAand give thema try.

My questions are, I realize the strap has to changed toreinstall the wheel sensor, can the strap be installed without the sensor or doesthe local tire store swapping my wheelsinstall the strap and reinstall the sensor at the same time??

Also, I am guessing that since the sensors are calibrated to my vehicle...I would not have to go back to Ford for recalibration ???

Thanks

LICobra
Old 03-21-2008, 08:02 AM
LICobra

Just reporting back....I ordered the new sensor straps and cradles from Tirerack, I even purchased the sensor tool from Ford. I was going to mount the cradle and straps on my new wheels beforethey were to be mounted, but the shop I went too said they would do it. To my surprise thinking I would have to re-program the sensors they did that also.

I thank all who contributed to this thread, although I didn't perform the sensor change myself, I had all the instruction I needed to swap sensor's and reprogram.

Thanks
LICobra
Old 04-27-2008, 12:26 AM
JTE_502
2nd Gear Member

Another option for the straps is using universal CV joint clamps. It comes in a roll, I don't remember how long exactly, but you only need a roll or two to do all four wheels. You just cut it to the size you need it for each wheel and clamp them down.
Old 05-11-2008, 08:33 PM
dockozy

AmericanMuscle.com has TPMS band kits for about $17.00 each. They will fit up to a 22" wheel. I bought a set and they work great! Cheaper than the Ford kit and REUSEABLE!!!

Does anyone know where to get the tool to train the sensors. I just bought a set of wheels for winter and have some new sensors, but dont want to take them to the steelership to get trained.

Thanks,

joe

[IMG]local://upfiles/96523/410173D287784402AE7567C8C0A0DB33.jpg[/IMG]
Old 05-12-2008, 05:52 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

You'll end up at the dealer anyway, but at parts instead of service.

TPMS sensor tool is currently being shipped with the '08 E-Series vans. Works perfectly on Mustangs as well.
p/n: 8C2T-1A203-AB
BTW, a local dealer just quoted me the massive price of $15.55 for this tool.
And how to use it . . .
There's nothing complex about it, and any new sensors will still have to be trained.

Here is the very simple procedure for training TPMS sensors using this tool or equivalent(aka "resetting the tire light", etc.):

NOTE: The tire pressure sensor training procedure must be done on a single vehicle, in an area without radio frequency noise and at least 1 m (3 ft) away from other vehicles equipped with a tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS).

Radio frequency noise is generated by electrical motors and appliance operation, cellular telephones, remote transmitters, power inverters and portable entertainment equipment.

Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position, then press and release the brake pedal.
Cycle the ignition switch from the OFF position to the RUN position 3 times, ending in the RUN position.
Press and release the brake pedal.
Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.
Turn the ignition switch from the OFF position to the RUN position 3 times, ending in the RUN position.
The horn will sound once and the TPMS indicator will flash if the training mode has been entered successfully. If equipped, the message center will display TRAIN LF TIRE.
NOTE: It may take up to 6 seconds to activate a tire pressure sensor. During this time, the Tire Pressure Monitor Activation Tool must remain in place 180 degrees from the valve stem.

Place the Tire Pressure Monitor Activation Tool on the LF tire sidewall opposite (180 degrees) from the valve stem. Press and release the test button on the Tire Pressure Monitor Activation Tool. The horn will sound briefly to indicate that the tire pressure sensor has been recognized by the SJB.

Within 2 minutes of the horn sounding, place the Tire Pressure Monitor Activation Tool on the RF tire sidewall opposite (180 degrees) from the valve stem and press and release the test button to train the RF tire pressure sensor.

NOTE: Do not wait more than 2 minutes between training each sensor or the SJB will time out and the entire procedure must be repeated.

Repeat Step 7 for the RR and LR tires.
The procedure is completed after the last tire has been trained. When the training procedure is complete, the message center (if equipped) will display TIRE TRAINING COMPLETE.
For vehicles not equipped with a message center, successful completion of the training procedure will be verified by turning the ignition switch to the OFF position without the horn sounding. If the horn sounds twice when the switch is turned to the OFF position, the training procedure was not successful.

Norm
Old 07-02-2008, 08:31 PM
wendywindy

i dont know if this is the right thread for my question
what makes the nitrogen gas helpful for tire?
thanks for some info.
Old 07-02-2008, 09:06 PM
Stick03
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: wendywindy

i dont know if this is the right thread for my question
what makes the nitrogen gas helpful for tire?
thanks for some info.
It's a mixed review. The pro nitrogen people say that your tires stay inflated longer, because oxygen in the compressed air has a tendency to compress and contract with humidity changes and temperature changes, making it more likely that you'll lose tire pressure. Because of the flucuation of tire pressure and most driver's refusal to check tire pressure on a regular basis, the argument states that lower tire pressure equals lower gas mileage and higher wear and tear on your tires, so nitrogen is a better choice. Also, nitrogen is an inert gas, so it is not susceptable to explosion like compressed air is.

I had nitrogen in my 07 mustang with the TPMS...the sensors never came on and I didn't have to add any nitrogen to my tires through an entire winter and spring in central Illinois. Most places that inflate with nitrogen will "top off" your tires for free.

The down side is the cost...it can be as much as $10 per tire to inflate with nitrogen.

It basically boils down to your own personal preference, much like choosing exhaust. It's so close between nitrogen or air, that it's really whatever you can live with.

Here is a good link to check out: http://www.bankrate.com/brm/news/car...itrogen_a1.asp

Good Luck!

Quick Reply: Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems