Wheels & Tires Discuss rims and tires here.

Goodyear tire question

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 10:57 AM
austin101385
1st Gear Member

Default Goodyear tire question

I called my local tire dealer to get a quote and ask for an opinion on the Goodyear GS-D3 tire. He told me that it was a soft tire, which I already new, and actually suggested the ResponsEdge by Goodyear. The ResponsEdge gets last 2x longer with tread. But it is H rated.

My questions is...My 2001 Bullitt is used as a daily driver and I like to take some tight turns every now and then and wind it out some, but I'm not using it for racing/dragging or trying to get over 100mph on the interstate. What would be my best choice?

Goodyear GS-D3 mounted/balanced: $921.57
Goodyear ResponsEdge mounted/balanced: $700.27

Thanks,
Austin
Old 03-10-2008, 04:29 PM
zmetalmilitia
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Goodyear tire question

I was actually looking into the gy GS-D3's and posted a similiar thread a few weeks back. I was sold on the GS-D3's but went with the BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KDW. I feel I got a better quality tire after posting the thread here and over on another. Many unhappy people bought GY's and have issues. The reviews were all good, so what was the big issue? I read the reviews on the BFG's and they are just as good. Make sure you do your research before you drop 1G on tires and then have issues. The quality of the GS-D3's have gone down recently. The BFG's are made by Michelin and I got them mounted today and look awesome. Just another idear.
Old 03-10-2008, 05:04 PM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

I would take the GS D3's over the response edge any day.
You might want to look into the F1 All Seasons also.
Those have carbon fiber in both sidewalls, vs just the outside like the response edge.

As far as the quality going down on the GS D3's I cant see how that could be. The tire has not changed construction since day 1.
I loved my GS D3's if they would have made them in a 285/40/18 I would have bought them in a heartbeat.

Theres also rebates on all 3 tires mentioned now until April 5th

What size are you going with?
Old 03-10-2008, 09:26 PM
zmetalmilitia
4th Gear Member

Here's the thread that I ran all about the GY's. Some good input here. Take it for what it's worth and make your own decision.

https://mustangforums.com/m_4679706/...tm.htm#4679706
Old 04-02-2008, 08:45 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

ORIGINAL: Stoenr

I would take the GS D3's over the response edge any day.
You might want to look into the F1 All Seasons also.
Those have carbon fiber in both sidewalls, vs just the outside like the response edge.

As far as the quality going down on the GS D3's I cant see how that could be. The tire has not changed construction since day 1.
I loved my GS D3's if they would have made them in a 285/40/18 I would have bought them in a heartbeat..."
I ran GS-D3's forover a yearand replaced with Michelin PS2's. ***HERE*** is a review of them VS. the D3's.

I have run many different tires over the years on allprevious cars as I dig the corners (just see my sig!) and these are the best I have found. Now, if I find a better pair one day, I will pimp them instead [sm=pimp.gif]

Jazzer
Old 04-02-2008, 02:46 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: zmetalmilitia

Here's the thread that I ran all about the GY's. Some good input here. Take it for what it's worth and make your own decision.

https://mustangforums.com/m_4679706/...tm.htm#4679706
Had a feeling I'd seen that thread before.

Anyway, it looks like the Eagle F1 Asymmetric is nowGY's top dog in the Max Performance Summer category. No customer feedback has been posted yet, but I think that Tire Rack's own testing is apt to be more reliable anyway, at least as far as the performance aspects are concerned. (They might just have made it onto my next tire purchase'short list').

Norm
Old 04-05-2008, 07:10 PM
Jbauer
4th Gear Member

h rated just means it can take high speeds longer, doesn't mean it handles any better. I think H is good to 130 anyway isnt it?
Personally, i dont like soft tires, a few burn outs, and you start leaving money at the line. I did a doughnut last year in a friends mustang, infront of my high school, and got suspended, its been a year, and i still have a thick glob of pirellis left on the entrance. Brings a smile to my face every morning.
Old 04-07-2008, 06:58 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

As you get to and beyond 'H' speed rating, the actual tire constructions differ slightly.I think it's more for durability and avoidance of standing waves than directly for increases in measured performance, and the end result is a slightly stiffer tire. There is a vague relationship between some directions of tire carcass stiffness and handling 'feel', and a soft-responding tire can be anywhere from having a slightly numb feel to being downright unsatisfying to drive in a car that makes any claim to 'sport'. Simply put, if you corner hard enough to feel the slip angles build, touring tires aren't for you.

Goodyear's own description of the ResponseEdge is that it's a 'Touring' tire, as opposed to a performance tire. IOW, the compromises mostly favor things like ride and NVH over handling and the hard numbers of measured performance.

Tire Rack's evaluation:
Liked . . . . . . . "Smooth and comfortable road manners"
Would Improve . . . . . . "Sharpen steering precision and feel"
Conclusion . . . . . ."A capable touring tire that could use a small tweak in the handling department"

I'll note that Tire Rack 'downgraded' it one place in their comparison test vs earlier (now ranked 3 vs 2 out of 4 tires tested - so there's at least one newer tire that's considered better).

I honestly think that the ResponseEdge tire would be a reasonable choice for the V6's, particularly V6convertibles. Suggesting it for a GT of any description is not something I can do in all good conscience simply because those cars have significantly greater speed potential than that particular tire can support. GT suspensions in general (and the Bullitt in particular)have been tuned for sharper handling than touring-class tires are intended to provide.

Norm
Old 04-07-2008, 02:33 PM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

I put the response edge's on my gf's focus. Horrible in snow. I point all my customers into a different tire. I pretty much refuse to sell it if there is another option.
Old 11-01-2009, 11:53 AM
Black Chrome
1st Gear Member

responsedge comes in ZR as well