Wheels & Tires Discuss rims and tires here.

Choosing a new tire

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 09:29 PM
mr_velocity
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jazzer The Cat
Your welcome

I am not hip to what works well on ol' skool Stangs I recommend you hit up the Classics section where all them pepes hang out. They will be able to give you MUCH more info that will be of help. I am well versed in SN95's and a little of the Fox Body and S197's.

Good luck and post up some pics and info in the customer rides thread in this section when done. This comes up occasionally and good for pepes to get pics and specs info.

Jazzer
Not a matter of what works on the classic as much much as the right rim for the tire. The charts I've seen said 6-8 on the rim width. 7 or 8s will fit the car but what the best width for the tire?

I've been in the classics section a long time. Couldn't get an answer to the rim width vs tire size besides there isn't anything "classic" left in my suspension
Old 02-18-2011, 08:41 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

*DOH* Sorry, I read too fast and only saw which width of wheel to run

A 225 is generally on a 7" wheel, but would likely run on an 8". For an 8" wheel, the max is going to be a 245 or maybe a 255 depending on the profile height and manufacturers fitment approval. Until one gets to a 50 or so series of tire, a 7" wheel is pretty much maxed out by a 225 tire.

Does this help..? lol

Jazzer
Old 02-18-2011, 10:41 AM
mr_velocity
4th Gear Member

*DOH* Sorry, I read too fast and only saw which width of wheel to run

A 225 is generally on a 7" wheel, but would likely run on an 8". For an 8" wheel, the max is going to be a 245 or maybe a 255 depending on the profile height and manufacturers fitment approval. Until one gets to a 50 or so series of tire, a 7" wheel is pretty much maxed out by a 225 tire.

Does this help..? lol

Jazzer
So if the 7 is maxed out by the 225 should I run an 8 especially if its going to be a 45 or 50?

I'm down to 2 different options right now, 225/50R16 or 225/45R17

Thanks again for the help. I don't like just following people who say "I used XXX" When I ask why they just say "because everyone else does." It's great having someone that can actually provide information. Thanks again!!!
Old 02-18-2011, 11:29 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Look up the tires you MOST want to run and see the approved fitment by the manufacturer. The higher profile tire, such as the 225/50/16", is going to have a bit more bulge on the sidewall, but have the same footprint, or contact patch, on the ground. The look of the tire as it sits on the wheel will be a bit different, but not a whole lot. I guess the question that needs to be asked here, will help decide for you....

What are your needs as a driver?

The higher profile will give you a bit softer ride, but somewhat less turn-in response in the corners. The little extra bulge can offer a bit more rim protection from curbs and such, so may be a consideration. You will find more performance oriented tires in the 17" size. So if you are looking for grip, especially lateral, I would recommend you go with the 17" wheels.

Jazzer
Old 02-18-2011, 12:23 PM
mr_velocity
4th Gear Member

Look up the tires you MOST want to run and see the approved fitment by the manufacturer. The higher profile tire, such as the 225/50/16", is going to have a bit more bulge on the sidewall, but have the same footprint, or contact patch, on the ground. The look of the tire as it sits on the wheel will be a bit different, but not a whole lot. I guess the question that needs to be asked here, will help decide for you....

What are your needs as a driver?

The higher profile will give you a bit softer ride, but somewhat less turn-in response in the corners. The little extra bulge can offer a bit more rim protection from curbs and such, so may be a consideration. You will find more performance oriented tires in the 17" size. So if you are looking for grip, especially lateral, I would recommend you go with the 17" wheels.

Jazzer

Thanks this helps a lot. One more ?? then I think I got it all. If the rim is only available in a 7 or 8 and the fitmit spec says 7.5, am I better going up to the 8 or down to the 7?
Old 02-18-2011, 03:58 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Go up to an 8" wheel, if the tire MINIMUM approved fitment per manufacturer says at least a 7.5" wheel. You may be looking at the spec page and the numbers given are relatve to the wheel in which it is mounted, not the wheels in which it fits. That is to say, look at the specs for a 225/45/17" tire on Tire Rack:

225/45/17" Potenza RE

Note the "Rim width range" is 7"~8.5", but the measurements given on that example was this tire mounted onto a 7.5" wheel and refered to as "Measured rim width".

Does that make sense?

Jazzer
Old 02-18-2011, 04:43 PM
mr_velocity
4th Gear Member

Go up to an 8" wheel, if the tire MINIMUM approved fitment per manufacturer says at least a 7.5" wheel. You may be looking at the spec page and the numbers given are relatve to the wheel in which it is mounted, not the wheels in which it fits. That is to say, look at the specs for a 225/45/17" tire on Tire Rack:

225/45/17" Potenza RE

Note the "Rim width range" is 7"~8.5", but the measurements given on that example was this tire mounted onto a 7.5" wheel and refered to as "Measured rim width".

Does that make sense?

Jazzer
Yes thanks. I kept seeing the range but didn't know where I should be in the range. Would be so much easier if they just said 8" or 7" and be done with it. I was thinking the 7.5 was the ideal rim width but like you pointed out it's the width they used for measurement. From other things I've seen in this thread I guess I'll be ordering the 8" rims.

Thanks again for all your help!!!!
Old 02-18-2011, 07:01 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Anytime

Yes... it can be a bit confusing, but the taller the sidewall, the more options one has for wheels due to its flexability. Conversely, the lower the profile, the less flexability. The Michelin PS2, for example, in a 295/25/22" is only good for between a 10"~11" wheel, where the 205/50/17" is good for a 5.5~7.5" wheel. This is a full 1" more variable in the same tire line, only a lower profile sidewall.

Jazzer
Old 03-09-2011, 02:35 PM
ruby40

quick question - '04 GT - stock suspension, daily driver, no track, no street racing
I have 18x9, 18x10 combo - ready to replace the set of 245/40, 275/40 on there. I would like to go wider in the front because the rim lip sticks out and causes curb rash (too late now). My issue is that I don't want a super-low profile tire to make the ride too harsh. Can I do 275/40 in the front without rubbing issue? I'm not so concerned about turn-in response and the way the roads are around here, I believe a 35 profile will lead to dented rims. Thinking 275/40, 295/40. Is this doable? Thanks
Old 03-10-2011, 09:43 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

You can properly fit a 275/35/18" up front for an approved fit and OEM diameter. I would NOT recommend you run a 40 series as you will give your ABS braking system some fits, as the diameter is 1" larger than the rears (This assumes you are running a 35 series 285 or something out back). You will have a bit less of a harsh ride, going 275's on the same brand of tire, but happen to think a 265 is a bit better fit. A 275 will probably rub a bit in a location or two and a 265 should not.

If you go 40 series up front, you really need to go up to a 35 series out back to avoid any ABS sensor issues. This will raise your car up an additional 1/2" and effectively reduce your gearing a bit and throw your speedo off by about 5 MPH at 70 MPH speeds. The speedo/ODO accuracy can be corrected via hand-held tuner, but the gearing issues could only be addressed via new rear-end gears if you decided you didn't like the change. It would not be a big change in gearing, but would be a change none the less.

Jazzer

PS. Re-reading your post and my response. I am a bit confused here.. What are your current size of tires both front and back?

Last edited by Jazzer The Cat; 03-10-2011 at 09:48 AM.

Quick Reply: Choosing a new tire