Wheels & Tires Discuss rims and tires here.

Tires turning right and left violently

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 05:25 PM
rumtillidie
2nd Gear Member

Exclamation Tires turning right and left violently

Hey everyone I'm having a problem with my stock tires..When I go over a bump the steering wheel would violently turn left and right and also when I'm driving more than 60km/h it does the same thing. But when I have my winter tires on the car it doesn't do that it drives perfectly! I know the winter tires width are P205/65R/15 and the stock tires are P225/60R15.

Sorry I have 1999 mustang V6.

Last edited by rumtillidie; 09-28-2010 at 05:42 PM.
Old 09-28-2010, 09:13 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

I think there may be more going on there than a change of tires. I think that this is something that is best checked out by a mechanic to confirm you don't have some failing parts.

I would not leave such a description to those who cannot see/work/drive your car to help with a decision on which way to go. I would be happy to help and would do everything to steer you in the right direction, I just don't have enough information and can't possibly get it without looking at your car.

Jazzer says... hit up your local mechanic
Old 09-30-2010, 07:15 AM
rumtillidie
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jazzer The Cat
I think there may be more going on there than a change of tires. I think that this is something that is best checked out by a mechanic to confirm you don't have some failing parts.

I would not leave such a description to those who cannot see/work/drive your car to help with a decision on which way to go. I would be happy to help and would do everything to steer you in the right direction, I just don't have enough information and can't possibly get it without looking at your car.

Jazzer says... hit up your local mechanic
I'm fine with it; I was just hoping someone knew what it could be! I might buy a new pair of tires for the car. The front tires are almost bald. Also wanted to know how wide of a tire can I get for the stock rims? I know my current tires are 225/60r15 all around. Wanted to get a bit wider tire for the back!
Old 09-30-2010, 08:08 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

I am not positve on the wheel size you are running, but figure it is 7" wide. In such a case, you may be able to run a 235/60, but don't think I would recommend it.

Unless your initial description is an exaggeration, I would not dismiss it so quickly. Such a response to bumps can be dangerous and will only get worse and something may break altogether. Not to mention if the roads are wet one day and this happens, or on a corner. What if you are out one night and had a couple beers and an officer sees your car turn suddenly and at 2:00 AM?

Jazzer