Wheels & Tires Discuss rims and tires here.

17X9 Fox guys

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 10:16 AM

Default 17X9 Fox guys

So the Notch I just picked up has 17x9 Cobra Rs. I was wondering what everyone runs for tires/spacers/fender mods to keep them from rubbing. I'm gonna be getting new tires ASAP and would like some input as to what size tires would keep them outta the fender lip. Also any suggestions on tires?

Thanks,
Sawyer
Old 04-11-2011, 10:28 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

This depends on the off-set/back-space of the wheels. If they are properly sized, you need no spacers or anything other than a 245/40/17" tire to fit without rubbing.

Is rubbing bad currently?
What tire size are you running (front/rear and all numbers please)
Are there any spacers or hub modifications like axle swaps or 5 lug conversion?

As for the tire make/model, this depends on your needs as a driver. What are they?

Jazzer

PS. Welcome to MF's
Old 04-11-2011, 10:47 AM

Bad enough to be cut down to the cords. I'll have to double check on the numbers. I just had them in my head because I'm looking at new tires but I just spaced on them. The rear are 275 something. I think the front might be 255? My friend who works at a tire shop said that it had a goofy size for the front.

As for tire needs. Something that will give me confidence to do some aggressive driving on the twisties and give me confidence driving in rain/maybe snow. I've been checking out all seasons on Discount Tire and found BFG G-Forice Super Sport A/S http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...w=false&cs=275 and found a review on LS1GTO and everyone who had them there had only good things to say on dry/wet/snow. So I figure if they have good things to say about them I'd get similar results. I want to keep the 275 out back because it looks mean as hell, but if I have to go down in size on the front that'd be fine. I want to keep the same-ish sidewall height though, so I'll have to find a metric to standard calculator.
Old 04-11-2011, 02:09 PM

Fronts are 255/45R17. And rear is 275/40R17. Not sure on offset/back space. I'd guess somewhere in the 40s.
Old 04-11-2011, 05:07 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Well.... your looking for a tire that in some ways, does not really exist

If you want to drive in snow, you do need an A/S tire. If you want to hit some aggressive twisties, an A/S tire is not in your best interest. To do both of these on a single tire, you are gonna have to compromise on the "aggressive twisties" part of the equasion. Please give me your address and I will send a case of premium Russian Vodka and some Red Bull via UPS in order to ease your pain (please be sure to remove all sharp objects from your immediate area prior to the beginning of what is sure to be a VERY long drinking binge!)

The 275's are going to be an issue out back, in nearly all cases of the Fox body. I have a link ***HERE*** that should be of some use to you. Without knowing the off-set/back-space measurements of your existing wheels, I cannot tell you if just a narrower set of rear tires will solve your issue. BTW.... is it only the rears that are rubbing? I figure they are, as a 255 should not be an issue, as I ran 245/40/17"s on my '85 GT for many years with no issues at all (the 45 series is probably more of an issue). I did run an 8" wheel, but should not be much difference and certainly nothing a little fender rolling would not cure. For that matter, just some rolling out back may be all you need there, beyond a new set of tires due to damage from fender.

The proper back-space for a 9" wheel on your ride is +18mm. To take this measurement, you need to pull a wheel off of your car and measure it ***THIS*** way.

Let me know what you think soo far

Jazzer.... always willing to help out a Fox
Old 04-11-2011, 07:34 PM

The fronts rub at full lock. Haven't noticed anything rubbing in the rear. And I don't do really aggressive twisty driving. For comparison sake I had some crappy $50 all seasons on my GSR swapped EF Honda and didn't get any under steer from driving into corners too hard. So I don't really think I could un nerve the ones I posted. I figure if they work for 400HP GTO guys then they should be good for me. I don't PLAN to drive in snow, but in South Dakota we get freak snow storms at there's still a possibility we'll get some snow yet this year. But it won't be DDed in the snow. I've got a pickup for that.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:01 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

So the fronts are damaged on the inside?

If so, then a set of rack limiters will be a good place to start by limiting how sharp you can turn. Will this avoid damage to a new set of same-size front tires? I run a set of limiters and have lost one notch in the rack. This is noticeable, but just causes an extra point in a u-turn ocasionally. Interesting, but good you don't have any rubbing out back on a set of 275's. This tells me that the wheels are indeed meant for your car and sticking with that size out back will be fine.

Jazzer
Old 04-11-2011, 09:13 PM

No. Rubbing bad on the outside shoulders. Haven't pulled the fronts off to check the inside yet. But I could just step down to a smaller tire size and try that? And if that doesn't work then I could always get the rack limiter. Thanks for all the info by the way.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:43 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

YW

Take a look, but likely that some fender "tabs" are poking in toward the tires at the 9:00 & 12:00 position. There are some nasty ones on the SN95's, so take a look. This is a likely location for cutting of the tires and an easy fix.

A 245 is not much smaller, but recommend you consider going to a 40 over your current 45 series front tires.

Can you give me some pics of tire damage? May help me to figure out where it is hitting.

Jazzer
Old 04-11-2011, 10:16 PM

Yea. I'll grab a some tomorrow.

Quick Reply: 17X9 Fox guys