Wheels & Tires Discuss rims and tires here.

20 inch tire size?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 10:45 PM
ego breaker

Question 20 inch tire size?

Hey! I am new to Mustang Forums. I have a GT500 Shelby 2007. I have a set of 20x9 and 20x9 Shelby CS40 wheels. I would like ideas for tire sizes. I would really like to have as big of a side wall as possible. I have been told that in a staggered set up they need to be close to the same height? Please help?
Old 08-13-2011, 04:57 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Welcome to MF's

You are best to keep front/rear tires close in diameter regardless of width/diameter of wheels. Why do you want a tall sidewall? Lemme guess... you are trying to eliminate the gap, huh? I happen to think that it is not the way to go, for a couple reasons. The first being that you will effectively raise your final drive gearing this way and elevate your ride higher off the ground at the same time. You will also lose fender well clearance and rub more often on bumps and such (depending on how much larger you go) You will need to address the speedo/ODO accuracy, but can be done with a hand-held tuner.

Your OEM tire size is 27" and recommend you remain this diameter with new tires. Are you dead-set on upping your diameter tires?

Jazzer
Old 08-14-2011, 08:06 PM
ego breaker

Default Tire Size.

I was not wanting the larger side wall to fill the gap. I have FRPP springs on the car so the gap is not nearly as bad as it was. I wanted a little larger side wall to protect the rims. I have seen low profile tires & wheels lose the battle with a pot hole or sewer lid. I was just wanting the thicker side wall for that reason. I have to go with the 20's I got a really good deal on them. Less than half of what they sell on Ebay for. So 20's it is. Thanks
Old 08-14-2011, 09:40 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

OK..... well, you are still best with an OEM diameter of 27". FWIW, I run a 30 series race tire (VERY stiff sidewall) and understand your concern of pot holes and such. In the last 4 years, I have not had any issues of damaged wheels, but am VERY careful. I also have spectacular suspension for avoiding bumps and equally wonderful brakes to drop vast amounts of speed very quickly.

What sizes are you considering?

Jazzer