Wheels & Tires Discuss rims and tires here.

"summer only" 2012 BOSS 302 question...

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 02:42 PM
turbomelanieb

Default "summer only" 2012 BOSS 302 question...

Hi! So, the tires that came on my Boss 302 are "summer only." The guide suggests not taking these out on the road if the temperature dips below 40 degrees. What is your take on this? Should I heed this advice?
Old 03-04-2012, 03:49 PM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

they get hard and lose grip in low temps, i have driven mine below 40 before and they are definitely harder and slick. you have to be careful if you do, im sure the lower the temp the worse things will get for the tires. it's so cool to see women that are into stangs, have you tracked your Boss yet?

FWIW, most of the boss talk goes on in the normal 2005 up section, most people don't use this forum much. there are much more active boss forums out there, send me a pm if you want names.
Old 03-05-2012, 12:21 AM
Entaille
4th Gear Member

just take it easier - and if there's *any* snow, don't expect to make it very far.

as previously stated, they harden up and don't perform as well. just the nature of summer only compounds. they advise you not to do it at all as more of a way to cover their own butt if anything goes wrong.
Old 03-05-2012, 02:45 PM
Paul@HoweyIndustries.com
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by turbomelanieb
Hi! So, the tires that came on my Boss 302 are "summer only." The guide suggests not taking these out on the road if the temperature dips below 40 degrees. What is your take on this? Should I heed this advice?
Good to see another fellow Illinois resident We got pretty lucky this year with a reasonable winter, very little snow. The temp will definitely have an affect on your tires performance but you will notice the biggest issues once you start driving in the snow.
Old 03-05-2012, 05:13 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Wecome, Paul

I saw a mention of you in the super-secret, all-knowing, for special-people only mod room. Of course, your not allowed to be made aware of such a room, as one really doesn't exist anyway, so let's just keep this on the down low

Jazzer
Old 03-05-2012, 05:27 PM
Paul@HoweyIndustries.com
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Jazzer The Cat
Wecome, Paul

I saw a mention of you in the super-secret, all-knowing, for special-people only mod room. Of course, your not allowed to be made aware of such a room, as one really doesn't exist anyway, so let's just keep this on the down low

Jazzer
Thanks! Glad to be here.

I have heard rumors of such a room...
Old 03-05-2012, 06:07 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

wut room?
Old 03-09-2012, 12:15 AM
turbomelanieb

Thanks for the responses... I'll play it safe for now and not take it out below 40.

Shane... I haven't. I'm still new to manual transmission... not sure my confidence is there yet. I am doing the Track Attack this fall, though.
Old 03-09-2012, 04:22 AM
REDBOSS1
3rd Gear Member

Where are you at in Illinois? I'm about 20 miles outside St. Louis and I drive mine in sub 40 temps weekly. I have another vehicle for when it's wet or when it looks like it might rain but if it's not gonna rain I'm driven the car. I will say however I stay out of the throttle when I drive it in those temps.
Old 03-09-2012, 07:50 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

It is not soo much cold "weather" temps, but cold "tire" temps, that are an issue. I run a set of Michelin PS2's on my Winter wheels and are hard as a freakin' ROCK when they are frist driven on very cold days. They warm up very slow, but after about 20 minutes of driving on the street, they are good to go and offer fantastic grip. Of course, if I park it for a while, they get cold again and need to warm them back up.

Jazzer