06 GT new wheels and tires? - MustangForums.com

Wheels & Tires Discuss rims and tires here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Old 03-25-2012, 01:38 PM   #1  
Greg06GT
1st Gear Member

Default 06 GT new wheels and tires?

I've done alot of searching and learned alot, but some things are unclear. I know I do not want a staggered set. I know I want to take away some fender gap with what ever sizes I choose. I am currently lowered on steeda ultralites also. I also want the tire to be flush with or just past the fender. What sizes do I want? I am looking at packages on AM. Does all American Muscle's 05-10 wheels come with the same offset/backspacing etc to make them sit the same? Will a 19x8.5 or 18x9 give the look I just mentioned? I also know I want chrome or a charcoal color (maybe AMR or Saleens). I want to do this right the first time! Thanks!

Summary: I want the largest tire size with standard (un staggered) wheels that fill up gap and are flush or just past fenders on my 06 steeda ultralite lowered GT. What Sizes?
Greg06GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 02:47 PM   #2  
Greg06GT
1st Gear Member

I've seen some pics of 99-04 wheels on 05+ and I like the look but have read mixed feelings on doing this....
Old 03-25-2012, 08:00 PM   #3  
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

This leads to rubbing, possible ABS brake issues, effectively alters the final drive gear ratio and elevates the car as well. Ideally, one should run an OEM diameter tire, but not necessarily an OEM diameter wheel. Running a wider wheel will somewhat give you the appearance I believe you are seeking, but "filling up the fender gap" can be viewed in a couple ways. Your springs will give you about 1.25" (f) & 1.5" (r) drop, so you should have about all the fender gap loss you can, with OK geometry. Saleen used to run a 29" diameter tire (275/40/20") on their S197 with such a drop on 9" & 10" wheels. This would require a tuner to address speedo accuracy and, as mentioned, will loose a bit of your gearing to such a diameter.

In some cases, an SN95 wheel will fit, but the off-set is going to play a role and cannot answer your questions, without more specifics.

What say you?

Jazzer
Jazzer The Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 09:40 PM   #4  
[email protected]
Former Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg06GT View Post
I've done alot of searching and learned alot, but some things are unclear. I know I do not want a staggered set. I know I want to take away some fender gap with what ever sizes I choose. I am currently lowered on steeda ultralites also. I also want the tire to be flush with or just past the fender. What sizes do I want? I am looking at packages on AM. Does all American Muscle's 05-10 wheels come with the same offset/backspacing etc to make them sit the same? Will a 19x8.5 or 18x9 give the look I just mentioned? I also know I want chrome or a charcoal color (maybe AMR or Saleens). I want to do this right the first time! Thanks!

Summary: I want the largest tire size with standard (un staggered) wheels that fill up gap and are flush or just past fenders on my 06 steeda ultralite lowered GT. What Sizes?
You may want to consider some custom options. We have several options that would fit what you are looking for and are very affordable. Please send me a PM and I can assist you further.

Paul
Paul@HoweyIndustries.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:56 AM   #5  
Greg06GT
1st Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzer The Cat View Post
This leads to rubbing, possible ABS brake issues, effectively alters the final drive gear ratio and elevates the car as well. Ideally, one should run an OEM diameter tire, but not necessarily an OEM diameter wheel. Running a wider wheel will somewhat give you the appearance I believe you are seeking, but "filling up the fender gap" can be viewed in a couple ways. Your springs will give you about 1.25" (f) & 1.5" (r) drop, so you should have about all the fender gap loss you can, with OK geometry. Saleen used to run a 29" diameter tire (275/40/20") on their S197 with such a drop on 9" & 10" wheels. This would require a tuner to address speedo accuracy and, as mentioned, will loose a bit of your gearing to such a diameter.

In some cases, an SN95 wheel will fit, but the off-set is going to play a role and cannot answer your questions, without more specifics.

What say you?

Jazzer

Thanks Jazzer! Maybe all I'm looking for is a wheel for 05-09's that AM or other places offer. I just want a better offset than stock and less wheel gap (which I have obtained from springs). I don't want to get to complicated