Wheels & Tires Discuss rims and tires here.

Tires for autocross on Brembo wheels

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 12:21 PM
carlspeed
1st Gear Member

Default Tires for autocross on Brembo wheels

I have about 4 options for tires on the car for the second half of this season. I can do:

Hankook RS3 275/35ZR19
Kumho Ecsta XS 285/35R19
Bridgestone Potenza RE-11 285/35R19
Yokohama ADVAN Neova AD08 275/35R19

All 4 above tires are between 140 (RS3) and the others I believe are all 180. The Kumho and Bridgestone will be the closest overall diameter to the Pzeros that are on the car now. Back a few seasons ago when I was autocrossing the most, it seemed that it was really between the RS3 and the Ecsta. The tires are all really in the same range with only a hundred bucks or so difference for the set, so that doesn't weigh in on the decision either. All the sizes above should fit the car, since I'm not lowered, and won't be in the foreseeable future. Also, this car does not get driven much on the street, so rain / wet weather performance mean nothing. The car was bought for fun, and is not used as a daily. Thanks in advance!
Old 05-07-2012, 06:47 PM
Miniata

With those four choices I'd probably go with the Hankook. I've been autocrossing on them (on my Miata) since the beginning of last year, and they manage heat very well. I'm getting ready to buy a set of tires for autocrossing with my '08 GT and will probably go with the Hankook's on that (although I'm also considering the Yokohamas). The last couple of years I autocrossed the Mustang on Dunlop Star Specs and I liked them for the most part, but they aren't available 19" sizes (or the 18" size I'm wanting for my '08)
Old 05-11-2012, 09:59 AM
Luke@tirerack
1st Gear Member

having driven all of the options you have posted here's my take

#1.) the Ventus R-S3 feels very skittish under heavy straight line loads when braking or accelerating. It seems to resist and attempt at directional changes when loaded up.

#2.) the Ecsta XS offers tons of dry grip but, lacks the sidewall rigidity to maximize that grip in rapid transitions

#3.) The Potenza RE11 great tire that blends performance and ride quality and really shines on camber challenged cars

#4.) The ADVAN Neova AD08 the best choice for a trackable street tire with great grip levels, quick steering response, very progressive break away nature and offer really good driver feedback and communication.
Old 05-12-2012, 10:54 AM
carlspeed
1st Gear Member

Thanks Luke! With that having been said, what do you suggest for autocross? Right now I have stock suspension settings, but I'd like to get a decent alignment prior to putting the new tires on.
Old 05-13-2012, 08:40 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Looks like #4 would be the best choice, based on some bad-azz reviews from our own Mr. Luke If these are specific AX tires, are you going to have a couple CC plate settings for both street and racing?

Jazzer
Old 05-14-2012, 09:38 AM
carlspeed
1st Gear Member

I'm not familiar with a cc plate?
Old 05-14-2012, 11:17 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

CC plates = Caster Camber

I was thinking you would have a nice improvement with a pair of settings for both AX and street driving. If your car is lowered, you will need some CC plates to achieve an OEM spec, assuming you want them.

Jazzer

Last edited by Jazzer The Cat; 05-14-2012 at 11:20 AM.
Old 05-15-2012, 09:03 AM
carlspeed
1st Gear Member

So I have to have some sort of plates for this thing? I can't just align the car? I've never heard of them to be honest. The other vehicles I've raced have been able to simply be adjusted. How does the plate work?
Old 05-15-2012, 01:32 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

The plates allow the front stuts to be moved to a greater amount of alignment options, as the wheels will gain negative camber when lowered. Your OEM settings will not allow you to get back to specs, with a drop of over approx. 3/4" or so. Look up CC plates and read the descriptions on websites.

Jazzer
Old 05-16-2012, 12:10 PM
Luke@tirerack
1st Gear Member

are you going for a 1 tire option or looking for a SCCA or NASA street tire class dominating tire?

Quick Reply: Tires for autocross on Brembo wheels