Wheels & Tires Discuss rims and tires here.

Whomp Whomp noise coming from tires?

Old 11-14-2012, 05:01 PM
SirDrums
2nd Gear Member

Default Whomp Whomp noise coming from tires?

Just replaced the stock tires, they where making a lound whomp whomp whomp sound when driving, it got fast and slower depending on speed. THe tech told me it was due to cupping on the tire.

SO I replaced the with new Cooper Zeon RS3-A's today. THe ride is improved but the sound is still there. No way near as loud but it is still there.

Any ideas what this could be? Perhaps my ears are to sensitive to road noise?

Anyway, I read taht these tires are supposed to be very quiet and so I am wondering if there is something else going on besides the tires.
Old 11-14-2012, 05:52 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

Is it coming from them all, or a specific tire/wheel?

My first thoughts are a tire out of bal/bent rim, needs an alignment or a wheel bearing going out (hope not on a car that new).
Old 11-15-2012, 08:55 AM
SirDrums
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by LilRoush
Is it coming from them all, or a specific tire/wheel?

My first thoughts are a tire out of bal/bent rim, needs an alignment or a wheel bearing going out (hope not on a car that new).
I cant really tell where its coming from. Sometimes it sound like it coming from the right rear, sometimes the front left. I am not really sure to honest.

Listening to it more this moring on the way to work, it's the most noticable to me around 35 to 45 mph then its gets quieter though I can still hear it some.

I dont know if the guy did an alignment when they put them on or not. I guess I need to call and see.
Old 11-20-2012, 05:00 PM
SirDrums
2nd Gear Member

Took it back to the installer yesterday and they could hear it also though they said everything looked good and that it was a harmonic resonance.

The sound is loudest between 30 and 40 mph and then either goes away or the pitch is such I cant hear it.

I dunno, it really bugs the crap out of me. If it doesnt get better, I might just have them replace them if possible.

I cant imagine driving on these for 3 years with that noise.
Old 11-20-2012, 05:20 PM
paulo
1st Gear Member

There is something wrong. Harmonic resonance is B.S. cars are designed to not have this. I would not accept this as an answer. They did not make noise before the tirechange. If harmonic resonance, as they claim, this puts wear and tear on car. Should not happend due to tire change. I wondered if they knocked out rear alignment. Edit just saw they were making noise before lol. But I would think it is something to do with alignment. Only other thing is that a bad trunk or window seal can make that noise. It will disapear with windows down

Last edited by paulo; 11-20-2012 at 05:24 PM.
Old 11-22-2012, 03:22 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

I agree. Something is off. The RS3 isnt' that loud of a street tire. Try taking it to another shop. I'd look at alignment first, then go from there.
Old 11-24-2012, 11:44 PM
SRTeric

You might try to do some gentle swerves back and forth at the speed that the noise is the worst (esp if its a lower speed as i think you described). That should load/unload the suspension/tires/bearings in different ways. If the noise changes in any way while you swerve, it may help you determine which corner it is coming from, and possibly which component is giving you issues. If the noise is still there after a tire swap, dont ignore the possibility of bearings, diff noise, etc. Im no mustang expert, those are just general diagnostics that have helped me out in the past. Good luck!