Wheels & Tires Discuss rims and tires here.

General Wheels/Suspension questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2015, 02:37 PM
MrDany

Default General Wheels/Suspension questions

Recently I've been looking into upgrading my wheels and tires on my '10 GT and I've been running into a lot of different opinions and suggestions all over the internet. I'm hoping you guys and gals can bring some clarity into the situation.

Going off of parts from AmericanMuscle I'm thinking about getting these tires/wheels. My question is if I will need suspension upgrades so as not to ruin the tires after 5k miles.

On another note, doing some research on the internet, I found that if I decide to lower my car with these springs, they recommend also getting camber plates, and some recommend also getting new struts.

I just want to make sure that I'm not buying unnecessary parts. All opinions and suggestions welcome guys!
Old 04-27-2015, 12:59 PM
AMAlexLazarus
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by MrDany
Recently I've been looking into upgrading my wheels and tires on my '10 GT and I've been running into a lot of different opinions and suggestions all over the internet. I'm hoping you guys and gals can bring some clarity into the situation.

Going off of parts from AmericanMuscle I'm thinking about getting these tires/wheels. My question is if I will need suspension upgrades so as not to ruin the tires after 5k miles.

On another note, doing some research on the internet, I found that if I decide to lower my car with these springs, they recommend also getting camber plates, and some recommend also getting new struts.

I just want to make sure that I'm not buying unnecessary parts. All opinions and suggestions welcome guys!

Hey MrDany - Welcome and good questions here! In the event that you're going to have the 2013 gt500 Style Wheel & Tire Kit picked up there's not going to be any additional parts needed to make them work - You would simply have the order placed, we'll mount and balance them and then have them shipped for free!

In regards to the Springs that's a tricky one! The Ford Racing K Springs are a great setup if you're looking for something really well balanced as they drop the car 1.5" front to back. Some customers will go with Caster Camber Plates and Struts and Shocks and some wont - The reasoning here is that some guys just want to go low and forget the rest. By having them installed without Struts or Shocks the ride quality will suffer and the car will not be as balanced as it should be.

What's more important in my opinion is the fact that if you're lowering the car you should really purchase a set of Caster Camber plates as if you're running the springs without them not only will your suspension geometry be off but you're likely going to prematurely wear your front tires from the inside out as too much weight will be on the inside of your tires.

Sorry for the wall of text here but I like to be as helpful as possible! Let me know if you have any questions and I'm here to help!

ALex
Old 04-27-2015, 01:36 PM
MrDany

Thanks for the reply and I appreciate the thoroughness. So if I plan on getting the wheels/rims set I won't be needing the suspension upgrades for right now. Now in terms of getting my car lowered with the K-Springs: I'll need the Camber plates, but are they installed in the front only, or are there Camber plates for the rear as well?
Old 04-28-2015, 08:19 AM
AMAlexLazarus
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by MrDany
Thanks for the reply and I appreciate the thoroughness.

So if I plan on getting the wheels/rims set I won't be needing the suspension upgrades for right now.

Now in terms of getting my car lowered with the K-Springs: I'll need the Camber plates, but are they installed in the front only, or are there Camber plates for the rear as well?

Hey you're very welcome, that's what I'm here for!

100% Correct - You will not need any type of suspension upgrades to run the wheels..Although they would make your Mustang look and drive better! (BabySteps!)

In regards to the camber plates they're only going to be on the front of the vehicle - I pull the image below from Google just to give you a better idea of what positive and negative camber looks like and is:

https://i.imgur.com/jHNHO.jpg

So you'll see there's positive and negative - And the plates are essentially going to keep the tire straight in line so you're not causing premature tire wear along with putting stress on your suspension.

Let me know if you're to have any other questions at all and I'm here to help!

Alex
Old 04-30-2015, 11:41 AM
MrDany

Awesome, makes a lot more sense why I would need them. Now in terms of the springs themselves. I'm looking to lower it about 1.5" to improve handling and for looks, I don't take my car to the track or anything like that, so I'm looking for something that won't be too rough on the ride quality. In your opinion are those Ford Racing Springs what I'm looking for or should I go with something else? I know there's different types of Springs so if you could break it down for me that would be awesome!
Old 08-20-2015, 09:48 PM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

Default Correcting the speedometer to match tire size changes

Correcting the speedometer to match tire size changes

How do you correct the errors in the speedometer when tire or wheel size is altered on a 2015 Mustang. Is it done by altering the computer? Thanks in advance for the help!
Old 08-21-2015, 08:40 AM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mr. D
Correcting the speedometer to match tire size changes

How do you correct the errors in the speedometer when tire or wheel size is altered on a 2015 Mustang. Is it done by altering the computer? Thanks in advance for the help!

Look at the overall diameter of the OE tire, and the overall diameter of your replacement. You dont want that to vary all that much. There is room for play. I would bet the factory speedo is off by 2 mph when doing 60 compared to a GPS speedo reads 60 actually doing 58. Seems like most manufacturers build this in, for what reason, I dont know. At least with my cars it has been this way.

A handheld tuner like and SCT 2 or 3 will allow you to calibrate for Revolutions per mile of the tire. And this can be found on the tire manufacturers website usually, or internet searching. You simply put that # into the tuner. Or the dealer can do this. For a fee im sure.

Sorry if I missed anything, or answered short, on my way out the door running late, lol. Thank God I drive a Mustang!