Wheels & Tires Discuss rims and tires here.

Something is grinding!

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2017, 09:30 PM
ewmohr

Default Something is grinding!

Hello all! I recently installed some Race Star rims with Mickey Thompson 295/65R 15 tires. I installed a Steeda sway bar relocation bracket to accommodate the new wheels. Looks great, but there is a grinding noise coming from the passenger side. No issues with driver side. I've pulled the wheel off the passenger side several times and see no evidence of rubbing on the tire. I also have not noticed any metal milled off on the rim or the brake calipers. Anyone have any ideas what the heck it may be? I'll confess I'm not much of a mechanic!
Old 08-29-2017, 09:33 PM
ewmohr

Here's a pic if it helps. The car is not lowered.
Old 09-12-2017, 08:03 PM
ewmohr

Update, a friend came over and helped me find the source of the noise. Turns out the wheel well liner was bowed out and rubbing on the sidewall of the tire. I cut off the portion that was rubbing and that fixed the problem. Time to go racing!
Old 09-12-2017, 08:20 PM
99GTvert
is my username.

Damn, thanks for posting the update. Would that have been something caused by a plastic clip holding the liner falling out? Just wondering how it would be that way.
Old 09-13-2017, 12:59 PM
ewmohr

Everything was in place, it was just bowed out for some reason. My car is a 2012 so it might just be stretched. No issues with the other side, but I'm going to check later this fall when I put the street tires back on and get the car ready for storage.