Wheels & Tires Discuss rims and tires here.

Performance tires on 20" rims?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2017, 07:47 PM
Toast Bunny

Default Performance tires on 20" rims?

I have a 2007 Mustang Stage 3 Roush, previous owner put 20" rims on it, they have 285 30 all seasons tires and they just slide around like butter.
Are 20" rims a waste to put good tires that will hook? Or should I just invest in 18" that came with the car and get some Super sports or Nitto's?
This is just my summer car so I don't have to worry about weather, not going to the track either, just looking to be able to hook when I want.
Thanks for any help.
Old 10-23-2017, 07:59 AM
cbdallas
1st Gear Member

It's all about the compound. There are tires of all sizes that stick like glue (the OE Pirelli P Zeros on my Camaro were far from being all-season, but were excellent in the dry, and were worn out at 8,000 miles). Sounds like you need to ditch the all-seasons, or just go with a softer compound. Just know they won't last long.
Old 10-26-2017, 09:12 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

18" tires with taller sidewalls usually absorb 'shock' a little better, and all-season tires really aren't designed with extreme performance of any sort in mind.

I'm not at all familiar with anything Roush, so I have no idea what kind of torque/power you're trying to make hook. Nor do I know what tires (mfr & model) you've got now.

If you've got really big power, you may not even be able to get them warm enough in street driving to hook like you want them to on short notice. For example, the MPSS tires I run HPDE track days with will pick up every damn pebble in sight when I pull off the track at the end of a session but aren't nearly that grippy in the normal driving it took to get to the track in the first place. Takes a lap or two, call it 3 or 4 minutes of driving that's much harder than anybody's "normal street", before they're really ready to play at more than 1g.

Norm
Old 11-07-2017, 10:26 PM
Toast Bunny

Its 415 BHP and 385 Ft/lbs
I'm really leaning towards the Michelin Pilot sport 4S. I do use this as a daily driver with no track plans as of yet. English town is about an hour and a half away so who knows.
Ill be doing a pulley upgrade come spring time so that will bring me about 500 BHP

Thanks for the feedback!
Old 11-08-2017, 06:36 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Toast Bunny
Its 415 BHP and 385 Ft/lbs
I'm really leaning towards the Michelin Pilot sport 4S. I do use this as a daily driver with no track plans as of yet. English town is about an hour and a half away so who knows.
If the MPSS is any indication at all, you'll be quite happy with the PS4S over at least half a season either side of summer. If you ever do get out to E-town, the part where either of those Michelins would really impress you would be the little road course they have there.

Don't know if you've seen this video before, but this is the MPSS in really wet-weather driving, up to speeds that'd get you arrested in any weather if it wasn't on a road course (NJMP, Millville NJ). Camera shake (last lap) = 110 mph or so. Apparently, the PS4S is better still.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 11-08-2017 at 06:39 AM.
Old 11-08-2017, 10:41 AM
Toast Bunny

Thank you for that, wasn't expecting that performance in the rain. Thought I would just get dry performance and drive like grandma in the rain.
Thank you so much!
Old 11-09-2017, 07:29 AM
Buck Sergeant
2nd Gear Member

Default tires on 20" rims?

Toast Bunny, I would definitely go with the 18" rims. As far as tires go, I am running Pilot Super Sport, 285/40R19, 103y, mounted on 19x10" rims, for daily driving. Expensive, yes, but definitely a outstanding "hole shot" tire. I would also recommend NITTO NT05 for street use, since you "don't have to worry about weather." We use the NITTO NT05 on our 331 stroker foxbody, a daily driver, and the performance is outstanding.
Old 11-09-2017, 08:39 AM
R2300S550

Default Nitto NT-05

I have a 2015 GTPP with 20" VOLK TE37s Ultra Lights in Bronze I run NT05S 275/35ZR20 ON all 4 corners and the car grips great.. I highly recommend these tires for the money
Old 11-09-2017, 10:51 AM
Buck Sergeant
2nd Gear Member

Default Performance tires on 20" rims ?

R2300S550, I totally agree. Also, we had great success with the NITTO NT555..Your ride must be very cool squared away with a well rounded tire and rim combo. My orientation is to drag racing so I am staggered. I hope we have helped and not confused Toast Bunny.
Old 11-09-2017, 12:39 PM
Toast Bunny

No this really helps narrow down my options.
Its down to Michelin PS4S and the NITTO NT555
I would go with the NT05 or the Pilot sport cup 2 but I will get stuck in the rain.
And not going to the track and being my daily driver I don't think I would reap the benefits of those tires.