Wheels & Tires Discuss rims and tires here.

Rear caliper pin rusted. Still usable?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2018, 11:23 PM
Longtermmustang
1st Gear Member

Default Rear caliper pin rusted. Still usable?

I finally got to removing my rear brakes today and realized that one of the guide pins in the caliper bracket was moving roughly and not pushing back out to position. Sure enough there was a tear in the seal boot and when I pulled out the pin, it was rusted and there was very fine rust powder in the hole of the caliper bracket.

I sprayed the pin with with brake cleaner and scrubbed it with a wire brush. I also sprayed out the hole and brushed it the best I could with a pipe cleaner-like brush. Is the caliper pin and caliper bracket still useable? Or should I get replacements? Honestly I was hoping not to throw more parts at the car until next year but if it's a big safety issue, what choice do I have?

The whole reason I started the brake job is because I noticed that brake braking funny (vibrating).

Old 12-17-2018, 12:11 AM
Urambo Tauro
3rd Gear Member

Caliper pins can be re-used if you don't remove too much material. That is some serious pitting, though. Not a big safety issue, just less-than-ideal. Should be fine after a little more cleaning and some fresh high-temp grease, as long as it's not too wobbly in the bore. But new pins are cheap, and probably in stock at your favorite local parts store... Besides, I'm guessing the job is on hold until you get new dust boots, so if you have to make a parts run anyway...
Old 12-17-2018, 12:43 AM
Longtermmustang
1st Gear Member

I actually already have the new boots as they came with the pad set but I do have to head to the store to pick up a new caliper bracket bolt (because I foolishly stripped one) so I'll ask for a caliper pin too. So long as I don't have to replace the bracket then I'm fine with that. The bracket still looks plenty thick and durable so I'll keep it as is.

Thanks for the reassurance.

Last edited by Longtermmustang; 12-17-2018 at 12:44 AM. Reason: Clarification
Old 12-17-2018, 02:25 AM
08'MustangDude
Banned

I would not bother with one that bad, they're cheap enough, and come with
new bolts. Clean the bores out too, shoot some brake clean in there, you
don't want grit scoring up the new ones. When you buy them, they come in
pairs with bolts, maybe $11, or less...
Old 12-17-2018, 07:12 AM
GT Nate
2nd Gear Member

Both my calipers had 1 pin completely rusted on. I had to replace both calipers, now I have 4 working brakes... Easy DIY swap.
Those slider pins needs to be smooth and greased with caliper grease and new boots too.
Old 12-17-2018, 04:09 PM
08'MustangDude
Banned

Light spotty rust, we'll wire brush it off on the wheel, but if it's that bad, we replace
them. I have seen people in OTHER shops re-use them, I don't. I have also seen
OTHER shops sand/grind down the pad ends so they fit into rusted caliper brackets...
Whatever they need to do to get it them in, to pass inspection... Then they make
that clacking noise later...

I like those Beemer, Audi and VW pins, they don't rust. They get some baked on brake
dust, and dirt, but they clean up in blue mineral spirits wash. They also do not get lubricated.
These ones slide through a rubber bushing in the calipers, and it seems to work good, even
without lubrication. The part of the pins that get dirty are the exposed portions as the caliper
slides. Once they're clean , they're smooth again, and they go right in, tighten then cap. I
have never had to replace these type of pins, never seen one pit or rust. Lubing them will
actually damage the bushings with the grit. BMW, VW, AUDI, and whoever else uses them
says DO NOT lubricate them.