Wheels & Tires Discuss rims and tires here.

Metal Valve Stems for '07 GT Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2019, 12:33 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by Vinish
Well, the Ford dealer's service attendant was not overly helpful. She told me that the batteries typically last 5-7 years (I am at 12 years). I explained that I thought the sensors only broadcast when the wheel is moving so a mileage lifespan would seem more accurate than an age lifespan. This seemed to blow her mind and she just repeated that 5-7 years would be a reasonable lifespan.

Next, I asked if aftermarket valve stem sensors could replace the band style provided they were designed for the correct model year (a frequency issue, I believe). She said that sometimes aftermarket sensors work and sometimes they have not been able to sync them.

I have one other question. I went to the American Muscle website and found the valve stem type TPMS sensors for the 2005-2009 model year. The AM website says that another little handheld synchronizing tool (at another $46) is needed to sync the sensors to the car. Will I need this tool or is the local tire store likely to have this? Thanks.
The reason they couldn't sync some of them is for the reason you already know. Whoever bought them didn't pay attention to the year of vehicle they were ordering them for. It was a car owner issue, not a dealer issue.

Yes, any decent tire shop will have the sync tool needed for your car.. You can buy the tool for yourself but, unless you plan on having multiple pre-mounted tire sets each with their own TPMS to swap out like for track, DD, and winter, the tool is a waste of money.
Old 01-07-2019, 05:24 PM
08'MustangDude
Banned

unless you plan on having multiple pre-mounted tire sets each with their own TPMS to swap out like for track, DD, and winter, the tool is a waste of money.
Even if you have multiple tire sets with sensors, they may not be matched to where they are
located. I don't have any display that tells me which tire is low, I just get a warning light.
So, when my light comes on, I have to look and see what tire it is.

I would guess that the 6-gauge clusters with the display tells you which tire? I have the
four gauge cluster, and a MIL, no display. You don't need the tool either, there is a
method to program them with the car and a magnet or something, not the actual tool.
Old 01-08-2019, 07:56 AM
Vinish

Thanks much, guys. I do not intend to have an extra set of wheels/tires so I will skip buying the tool especially as I could not even need it. Now I have to select the tires and the tire shop. This will likely take me a couple of weeks as I am very busy, am traveling on business next week, and rarely drive the car. My wife drives our SUV and I ride my motorcycle every chance I get so the car mostly sits undriven. Hence the 39,000 miles on a 2007 model
Old 01-23-2019, 09:40 PM
fouronthefloor

thax...........................
Old 01-24-2019, 08:08 AM
Vinish

Of four different nationwide chain tire stores, three of them told me that they would just replace the valve stem style sensors. These three did not even realize that the '07 Mustang used a band style sensor operating at an unusual frequency (315 mHz). Only a Firestone realized this but they said they would only install another set of the band sensors and these are ~$140 per tire compared to the ~$35-50 per tire for the valve stem style. I went to a family owned shop called Sumter Tire in Wildwood, FL which is near where I live. They were very knowledgeable and helpful. They knew it was band style sensors and assured me that they could replace these with the modern valve stem style sensors. Their prices for tires were higher than the chains but I felt like they knew what they were doing.

I ended up getting four Toyo Versado Noir tires in 235/55-R17, four new valve stem style sensors, synchronization of the four sensors, balancing, all Florida state tire fees, tax, and an alignment check for $1024. The number one feature I wanted in the tires was a quiet ride and these tires are much quieter than the stock Pirelli tires. I don't drive the car overly aggressively and don't take it to any sort of track days or racing. Most of its trips are long-distance on the highway in warm weather. It never sees cold or snow. For these reasons, the quietness was the number one feature and longevity (mileage) from the tire was second. I want these tires to last at least as long as the stock set (12 years and 39,000 miles). That will very likely take me beyond when I will still own the car.
Old 01-24-2019, 12:55 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Glad you got it all to your liking. I hated the Pirelli A/S that came on my car when I bought it new. Noisy and bad traction in all weather conditions.

Btw, 12 years is super long for tires regardless of miles driven. Most tires start to get micro-fractures in the tread and sidewall (dry-rot) as the compounds start to dry out and shrink after about 3-5 years or so. This will cause them to harden and lose traction. It will also create noise and could possibly fail and blow out.

Last edited by Derf00; 01-24-2019 at 12:57 PM.